Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Naturally Aspirated Powertrains (2.5i, 3.0R, 3.6R) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   90s Legacy Twin Turbo Engine Swap (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199585)

kred 01-12-2013 08:07 PM

90s Legacy Twin Turbo Engine Swap

I was browsing on ebay and I came across a bunch of JDM twin turbo legacy engines, many with transmissions and ECUs, for around $1500-$2000. Many of them have really low mileage, despite being 15-20 years old. I did some research and supposedly these twin turbo engines of this era make pretty good power (250-280 crank).

If basically everything I need to make good turbo power is in one of these packages for the right price, why wouldn't anyone do this? Has anyone heard of this swap being done? The way I see it, I bet it would be a really economical engine swap.

Don't bother commenting if you're gonna say something like "Sell your car and get a GT." There were many other reasons why I got a 2.5i at the time, so don't piss me off with that type of comment. :mad:

BAC5.2 01-12-2013 10:48 PM

Why hasn't anyone done it? Because the twin turbo setup does not fit in a LHD car. The brake booster/MC, clutch MC, and steering shaft all get in the way.

If you want to make more power in your 2.5i, I suggest saving up some money.

nightspeed98 01-12-2013 11:06 PM

So no GT? Lol

fahr_side 01-13-2013 01:38 AM

Do more research. A lot of people ditch the whole sequential turbo setup and go single. Why? Horrible torque drop between the first turbo running out of puff and the second one taking over. Like, barely-driveable kind of horrible. As BAC5.2 mentioned, the twin-turbo crap doesn't fit with LHD anyway.

sub4ru 01-13-2013 02:32 AM

As a guy who had twins and went to a single, I would say the dip was not "undrivable" it was just inconvenient. Having a single turbo makes the subaru a better daily drive, I think, because I didn't have to deal with the touchy torque in first. A little turbo lag is a good thing.

GEE-OTTO 01-13-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kred (Post 4243620)
I was browsing on ebay and I came across a bunch of JDM twin turbo legacy engines, many with transmissions and ECUs, for around $1500-$2000. Many of them have really low mileage, despite being 15-20 years old. I did some research and supposedly these twin turbo engines of this era make pretty good power (250-280 crank).

If basically everything I need to make good turbo power is in one of these packages for the right price, why wouldn't anyone do this? Has anyone heard of this swap being done? The way I see it, I bet it would be a really economical engine swap.

Don't bother commenting if you're gonna say something like "Sell your car and get a GT." There were many other reasons why I got a 2.5i at the time, so don't piss me off with that type of comment. :mad:

Those TT setups aren't optimal the boost handling between the two turbos results in a flat spot in the mid RPM range. Not to mention you will have to stuff that TT in around your brake booster, steering column,slave cylinder and your engine cradle. Then the harness merge.

HOwever for $2000 and all what you get, one could get a low mileage EJ, convert to a single turbo (VF46), swap that in and have a pretty decent swap. If you have the space/tools/patience/spare $$$ it could be a worthwhile investment!

fahr_side 01-14-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEE-OTTO (Post 4244495)
Those TT setups aren't optimal the boost handling between the two turbos results in a flat spot in the mid RPM range.

I got to drive a few of the TT B4 models in Australia and experienced the torque trough in all it's horror. Where did you get your seat time? I wouldn't have thought these RHD-only models would be too common in the US...

GEE-OTTO 01-14-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahr_side (Post 4245150)
I got to drive a few of the TT B4 models in Australia and experienced the torque trough in all it's horror. Where did you get your seat time? I wouldn't have thought these RHD-only models would be too common in the US...

As fate would have it I too saw the allure of cheap TT setups on the various online retailers(about 7 years ago). However, after a few 100 PM's, video requests and user impressions I decided NOT to pull the trigger.

fahr_side 01-14-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEE-OTTO (Post 4245197)
As fate would have it I too saw the allure of cheap TT setups on the various online retailers(about 7 years ago). However, after a few 100 PM's, video requests and user impressions I decided NOT to pull the trigger.

Ah. So you didn't actually drive one then. Nevermind. Carry on.

BAC5.2 01-14-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahr_side (Post 4245150)

I've driven an imported RHD wagon with the twin turbo.

They don't call it the "valley of death" for nothing.

GEE-OTTO 01-14-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Yeah that is what I gathered from the owner remarks (UK and New Z) that I talked to when contemplating the purchase. Otherwise a stout setup and something I would still consider as a BE project!

Quote:

Ah. So you didn't actually drive one then. Nevermind. Carry on.
You can't help but be an azzhole, asshole.:coffee:

fahr_side 01-14-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEE-OTTO (Post 4245397)
You can't help but be an azzhole, asshole.:coffee:

You can't help but regurgitate stuff you read on the Internet and present it as your own experience, and I couldn't help but expose you. If that makes me an asshole, I'm okay with that.

SBT 01-14-2013 10:49 PM

Good info in the thread that answers the OP's question. Let's keep it on topic. Thanks!

paintpollz 01-15-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAC5.2 (Post 4245287)

Why the hell did Subaru mass produce these things?

Even if I was enamored with have a TT car and didn't care about the performance, it would be pretty damn embarassing to take someone for a ride into the "valley of death."

Max Capacity 01-15-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintpollz (Post 4246991)
Why the hell did Subaru mass produce these things?

Even if I was enamored with have a TT car and didn't care about the performance, it would be pretty damn embarassing take someone for a ride into the "valley of death."

Can you imagin pulling out to pass a car and all realize the torque drops off for a couple of seconds...

Is it that bad ?