Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   '10 LGT Downpipe Choices? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199480)

Jpthetall 01-11-2013 04:06 AM

'10 LGT Downpipe Choices?

My bumper to bumper warranty is about to expire and I want to go Stage 2. However I am have having difficulty choosing a downpipe.

When I was pricing out stuff about 1 year agao, I had found CNT Racing downpipes. Currently when I look, CNT no longer seems to make the downpipe (from what i can find on their web site).

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on downpipe at a reasonable cost. (Did I miss any other company that makes downpipes?)

When I priced everything out
CNT was $300
AVO was $600
Invidia $580

Thank you in advance.:)

tytek 01-11-2013 05:16 AM

CNT has had fitment issues.
AVO is nice, but rare.
Invidia is all you need.

Go catted, you won't regret it.

acumenhokie 01-11-2013 05:45 AM

Have you already swapped out the catback? "studies have shown" that the downpipe is not the major restriction in the 5th gen. I'd recommend either going turbo back or swap the cat back before swapping the downpipe.

Underdog 01-11-2013 06:35 AM

I can help you with the Invidia Downpipe (catted or un-catted available) or the Borla/Magnaflow/Invidia CBEs when you are ready sir. Just send me a PM to discuss. :)

islandborn 01-11-2013 08:09 AM

Here is a bit of "learned" advice - The AVO DP does not hook in directly to stock pipes. If you HAVE to have the DP - then get a total turbo back set up. But like Acumenhokie said, a DP is really not needed until you wanna start throwing bigger turbos (dumb idea ;)) on the car.

Great gains can be pulled from an upgraded TMIC and really a CBE....

Flow through the threads and find build/mod ones that members have created. Take some time and read through them as many show mistakes :p and fixes. Join in and ask them questions.

Blizzard 01-13-2013 10:41 AM

How bad are CT's inspections?

The cheapest route is the Invidia catless.

Fischbach31 01-13-2013 10:38 PM

Nameless performance is going to prototype one off of my vehicle!! I go to their shop tomorrow to get the ball rolling on a bunch of mods they have been wanting to do! They haven't had a car until I happend upon a post of theirs! Will keep you guys informed about what they plan on doing

fahr_side 01-14-2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acumenhokie (Post 4241359)
Have you already swapped out the catback? "studies have shown" that the downpipe is not the major restriction in the 5th gen. I'd recommend either going turbo back or swap the cat back before swapping the downpipe.

That doesn't match with my findings, though I am working on EDM cars. I'd like to see these 'studies'.

islandborn 01-14-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahr_side (Post 4245053)
That doesn't match with my findings, though I am working on EDM cars. I'd like to see these 'studies'.

I think what this is saying is that if you have a stock car - replacing the DP is not the first thing to do as it really doesnt have that much of an issue with power at that stage. Our stock DP coupled on to a CBE is just fine to open it up..... add an aftermarket TMIC and power gains are easy.

I guess what I'm saying is that just replacing the DP without anything else is sorta not worth the money....do the whole TBE if you're gonna do it.

fahr_side 01-14-2013 06:52 AM

Again, that just doesn't fit my data.

I typically see 225~230whp / 300~305wtq from cars I tune stage1 and 230~235whp / 325~330wtq from stage 2.

I don't see any great or even repeatable differences from cars with catbacks over these numbers. I've had cars with complete stock exhausts do better than those with catbacks. Last week I had a '12 with a full TBE which needed 10% more WGDC to hit the same boost targets as other stg2 cars did with a stock CBE.

islandborn 01-14-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahr_side (Post 4245121)
Again, that just doesn't fit my data.

I typically see 225~230whp / 300~305wtq from cars I tune stage1 and 230~235whp / 325~330wtq from stage 2.

I don't see any great or even repeatable differences from cars with catbacks over these numbers. I've had cars with complete stock exhausts do better than those with catbacks. Last week I had a '12 with a full TBE which needed 10% more WGDC to hit the same boost targets as other stg2 cars did with a stock CBE.

You can be totally right. I'm just saying, replacing JUST the DP makes no sense. If you WERE to, then do the whole exhaust. Unless, someone can tune a stocker, then switch just the DP, then see if they can get more out... then how much they do, if they do, is it worth it. I would imagine no. but, I'm learning as I go along too!

fahr_side 01-14-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandborn (Post 4245145)
replacing JUST the DP makes no sense. If you WERE to, then do the whole exhaust. Unless, someone can tune a stocker, then switch just the DP, then see if they can get more out... then how much they do, if they do, is it worth it. I would imagine no. but, I'm learning as I go along too!

Well, my numbers above show me the downpipe, with appropriate tuning, is worth about 5whp and 25wtq, with the stock catback OR aftermarket CBE behind it.

With the stock cat in place I cannot consistently push boost at peak beyond about 16.5psi without having to pull so much timing that it makes no sense. With a catless or high-flow catted downpipe on the cars I can run up to 19psi before det becomes an issue. In over 50 cars (I stopped counting) not once did an aftermarket CBE show gains above the average.

Well, whatever... it's your money! :D

Jpthetall 01-14-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blizzard (Post 4244175)
How bad are CT's inspections?

The cheapest route is the Invidia catless.

CT is pretty stringent from experience. So I think I will get a catted downpipe.

Jpthetall 01-14-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fischbach31 (Post 4244989)
Nameless performance is going to prototype one off of my vehicle!! I go to their shop tomorrow to get the ball rolling on a bunch of mods they have been wanting to do! They haven't had a car until I happend upon a post of theirs! Will keep you guys informed about what they plan on doing

Please keep me informed. I am very interested in seeing what they come up with. I know the 5th gen is still very new, but I would like more than two options for aftermarket parts.

Fischbach31 01-14-2013 05:24 PM

Feb 1st they will be prototyping for the down pipe. Also a catback exhaust! It's all fabricated in house, it was fun watching them make the parts