Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Need Opinions on Suspension Spring/Strut combo (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199475)

the_IRONGIANT 01-10-2013 11:17 PM

Need Opinions on Suspension Spring/Strut combo

Ok guys. I have project on my car that is in the making. I have already ordered a set of Swift Sport springs to lower my car 1.25" all around. Now I'm looking towards an affordable set of struts as well. I don't want to go too fancy yet with HD Bilstein. I wanted to pair the springs with KYB Exel-G' s (or GR-2). With anyone who had this type of suspension set up and had them for a while, what are your thoughts on the ride comfort. I'm just looking for something that can be dependable for everyday use, and yet give me a sporty feel without breaking the bank.

mk6933 01-11-2013 12:53 AM

Search. There is a full thread if you look on top of the suspension page.

the_IRONGIANT 01-11-2013 04:51 PM

I've been searching but I want other people's opinion on this type of set up.

sactojesse 01-11-2013 06:00 PM

The KYB GR2/Excel-G struts/shocks are essentially a stock replacement for the original KYB struts/shocks that came on USDM LGTs and 2.5i Legacies. As such, they aren't going to last that long with a fairly low and stiff spring like the Swifts. The Swifts were designed to work with JDM LGTs and their Bilsteins. As such, the advertised front drop of 1.2 inches will be more like 1.75 when you factor in the use of USDM (KYB-style) top hats instead of the JDM (Bilstein-style) top hats that came on JDM LGTs and Spec Bs.

Blue GT 01-13-2013 06:26 PM

The swifts might be too low for the KYB's to the extent that they might blow. My set blew with Cobb springs in 2 months ( possible install error). But the Koni's I replaced them with have been great.

I know it's not what you want to hear but Konis or Bilstiens/tokicos with jdm front top hats or you're going to regret it.

whitetiger 01-13-2013 06:47 PM

just get koni's

/thread

the_IRONGIANT 01-13-2013 09:14 PM

Well, if that doesnt work, i've heard people use tein s-techs which are lower than swifts, so i dont think i can go that route either then right?
and if worst comes to worst, eibachs might be my better choice. I've heard they run great with stock struts and only give an inch drop if im correct

what are your thoughts on the s,techs vs the eibachs? what spring would you recommend on stock struts or upgraded oem struts?

cartman 01-14-2013 03:36 AM

Eibach discontinued production on 05-09 LGT springs. Epic springs (search feature will give u more info) are of similar design.

whitetiger 01-14-2013 05:47 AM

s-techs are the worst spring out there for our cars.

bucko3the7man 01-14-2013 05:57 AM

M sprank has the epics in stock

LegacyKid5 01-14-2013 08:34 AM

I've been running the swifts with konis on my wagon for about a month now and I'm living the setup, great drop for the car and a very noticeable difference in performance over stock. You'll be very satisfied if you go the koni route.

the_IRONGIANT 01-15-2013 03:22 PM

Since the drop is substantially low on both springs, what about the h&r sport springs and epics in KYB struts?