Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Second Generation Legacy (1994 - 1998) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Legacy Crapped Out (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199463)

levihamernik 01-10-2013 07:05 PM

Legacy Crapped Out

So today I got out of class and walked down to my car. I got in started her up and got about ten yards down the road before it started making a god-awful sound. I pulled over and shut it off. let it sit for a bit then tried moving it again. the second time it made it not even 5 yards before dying meanwhile the car was shaking violently. The only way I can describe the sound is a hacksaw going through metal, while a washing machine is running violently. Currently sitting at the mechanic waiting to be checked out... Any ideas what it might be? I feel this may be the end of my Subbie :mad:

WESTcoast 01-10-2013 07:10 PM

sounds like maybe your threw a rod or two. But its sounds like something big :(

Gex 01-10-2013 07:10 PM

Spun Bearing

Stang70Fastback 01-10-2013 07:33 PM

Yeah, that does sound like a rather serious issue... sorry man :(

SpecBamf41 01-10-2013 07:36 PM

spun idler bearing. sezed

monkeyposeur 01-10-2013 10:01 PM

Sorry to hear about your engine. Your body is clean though. If it was mine I would do a motor swap or rebuild if possible. Sucks super bad.

levihamernik 01-10-2013 10:13 PM

Yeah, waiting to hear back from mechanic either tomorrow or monday. If I wasn't a high school student I would consider doing a swap but its just not realistic. The strange thing is that I drove it around town all day without an issue, and nothing happened while driving. Only when I started it up did things really go downhill. Im thinking if its to far gone to do anything I will take what I can for the scrap and try to pick up a newer Forester.

spooln30 01-10-2013 11:05 PM

Did you piss anybody off cuz I've heard of guys pulling people's oil drain plugs while their cars were parked and we all know what happens to an engine with no oil.

johnegg 01-11-2013 06:44 AM

assuming you are talking about your 98 GT w/ 2.5L engine, you are looking at a timing belt job at the least or most likely a valve job with new head gaskets or worst case a junk engine.

if the timing belt idler died, very very very common, chances are a new belt parts and a few new valves will put it back on the road. but if the t-belt and idlers are intact then you probably have rod / bearing problems which generally mean a different engine is the way to go.

good luck.

levihamernik 01-11-2013 08:04 AM

Highly unlikely that I pissed somebody off to that point. I go to a fairly preppy school where people are a little less than mechanically inclined, and most drive new BMWs, Audis, etc. that mommy and daddy bought for them. I doubt anyone that I may have pissed off would have the knowledge to pull the drain plug.

If the timing belt and Idlers were gone wouldn't the car not even turn over and move at all? Just a thought.

johnegg 01-11-2013 11:00 AM

if the belt is still in one piece and in place it could have jumped time when the toothed idler seized. and then when the ball bearings fell out of the idler and it unfroze, it COULD still be turning the cams. but this is all speculation.

wait for the report and see what they say. if it is anything more than just a timing belt, and i'm pretty you are, the shop costs are likely going to be WAY more than the value of the car. BUT that is not the comparison to make.

you have to compare the repair cost to ''what can i buy for that much money? and how reliable will it be?''

the cheapest way out is probably a 2.2L engine swap. you can buy one for $500 of less and have it installed for $500 to $750. but again, this is premature. you need the shop report.

DOHCEJ22E1 01-11-2013 11:08 AM

EJ22 for $450 @ parts yard, drop in (easier than you think), & just keep going until the wheels fall off. The same thing happened to my 2.5 about a year & a half ago.

levihamernik 01-11-2013 12:13 PM

Bearing broke timing belt slipped. 230 to put on used parts and see if that's the only problem. If it is it will be an additional 600 for new bearing and belt. If valves are damaged and head gaskets hit them, then it'll be 2-3k... He's gonna do the used parts on this after noon and give an update. If its just belt and bearings ill do it, but if its the valves I'm gonna scrap it or sell it to someone looking for a clean body, and find something new.

DOHCEJ22E1 01-11-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levihamernik (Post 4241790)
Bearing broke timing belt slipped. 230 to put on used parts and see if that's the only problem. If it is it will be an additional 600 for new bearing and belt. If valves are damaged and head gaskets hit them, then it'll be 2-3k... He's gonna do the used parts on this after noon and give an update. If its just belt and bearings ill do it, but if its the valves I'm gonna scrap it or sell it to someone looking for a clean body, and find something new.

It will not be 2-3K if you buy the parts needed, then have him do it. Our engines are not that expensive to fix if you can buy the parts yourself. Plus you can always buy DOHC cylinder heads from other GTs/Outbacks that are ready to go. Just saying that there are cost effective ways to get your car going. :D

levihamernik 01-11-2013 02:14 PM

Valves are fine. 1200 for new pulley, bearing, timing belt, and water pump.