Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Goofy question/Issue (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199383)

MN3.6R 01-09-2013 02:49 PM

Goofy question/Issue

So I may be crazy, I am not sure. I am curious to see if anyone else has had this or may have a solution if it's thought to be a problem. I bought my car used with no accidents 1 owner. When its cooler out (less than 40 degrees) and I drive my car anywhere, park and say go shopping, when I come back out later (30-45mins), my rear window will be fogged up atleast have way from bottom to top, sometimes even alittle on the rear door windows as well. This is my 1st winter back in Minnesota since 2008, but I don't recall every having a car do this. Any thoughts? Also if it matters I always have my heated seat on, I don't know if the heat mixed with ass sweat= condensation :lol:

GTTuner 01-09-2013 02:56 PM

Two thoughts......a water leak somewhere in the trunk or the rear floor.......or you drive with the HVAC in recirc all the time?

Ass sweat, lol.

MN3.6R 01-09-2013 02:58 PM

Yes, thank you for mentioning that, I do not have it in recirc. I am not sure where I would begin looking for a leak. If it matters I have a moonroof, I am not sure where the drains run for that.

GTTuner 01-09-2013 02:58 PM

Ck the spare tire well. Sunroof drains go into the quarter panels, I think. Lift the floor mats and see if it is wet underneath. People tracking snow into the car then it melts will raise the humidity in there till the warmer weather dries it out.

MN3.6R 01-09-2013 03:00 PM

Will do, thanks for the tip. lol

TheOneDoubleN 01-09-2013 03:02 PM

Well if it's happening after you drive your car some where, chances are both the humidity levels and temperature levels inside the car are far and above what's outside, so this sounds pretty normal to me, assuming there is no water intrusion in the trunk.

GTTuner 01-09-2013 03:03 PM

I like the ass sweat theory, lol.

GTEASER 01-09-2013 03:25 PM

If you run your AC and recirculation all the time, it will constantly pull moisture out of the cabin air and help the problem.

Not to worry you, but there is at least one thread on here about a leaking sunroff seal getting a headliner wet, but only when it rains.

MN3.6R 01-09-2013 04:00 PM

My headliner looks dry and normal and never see leaks when I go through the car wash. I will feel around and see what I find. Also I don't think to look everytime I go somewhere so I don't know for sure if it happens 100% of the time, when it happens or I happen to notice I will see what I did or didn't do. No offense but I was hoping to get more "Northern Folk" opinions:p, I don't think you surfer dude Cali guys know what cold is. Only kidding, I use to live in Palm Springs.

GTEASER 01-09-2013 04:02 PM

You'll get the northern guys.......as soon as they shovel out their driveways and the power comes back on.......:lol::lol:

MN3.6R 01-09-2013 04:07 PM

Hey come on it was 34 degrees here today AND sunny! Heck I had the roof open and no coat, almost made me want to go to the beach, but there are too many ice fishing shacks on the frozen lake lol

Subie_Mick 01-09-2013 04:21 PM

Mine is just always foggy, the other cars sitting next to mine are clear and mine is completely fogged.

I never use the seat heaters, buit that does not rule out the ass sweat.

minuccims 01-09-2013 05:23 PM

Is the setting on defrost at all?

Before you stop the engine, set something other than a front defrost option. Ensure recirc is not on. Wait a few seconds after the last selection before shutting down engine.

Classic Subaru

MasterPeon 01-09-2013 05:25 PM

I put some charcoal in cloth bags underneath the front seats.

propagandax 01-09-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOneDoubleN (Post 4238546)
Well if it's happening after you drive your car some where, chances are both the humidity levels and temperature levels inside the car are far and above what's outside, so this sounds pretty normal to me, assuming there is no water intrusion in the trunk.

I agree with this. Moisture will condense on a surface if its colder than then dew point (humidity level) of the air. I think its a little strange cause you bring in dry air from outside constantly with recirc off not to mention the car leaks. Either your humidifying the air (sweat much?) or there's another source from inside.

Sent from my Nexus 7