Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Second Generation Legacy (1994 - 1998) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Please help identifying all these leaking parts. (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199335)

mattmattyxcore 01-08-2013 09:25 PM

Please help identifying all these leaking parts.

6 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I'm not too familiar with my EJ22E yet and it is making a mess in the driveway. I had it on stands over the weekend to find the source and found more than I was comfortable with. I just need to know what kind of gaskets/seals I have to get so I can do my research from there. Thanks ahead everybody.

Now on to pics...

Stasis 01-08-2013 09:36 PM

There is so much gunk on there I want to fly to the states with a steel brush to clean it all, then burn down your city.

mattmattyxcore 01-08-2013 10:09 PM

ha ha tell me about it, the previous owners must have never EVER washed it. Every time I take something apart it's a game of how much dirt I can get out of it.

Stasis 01-08-2013 10:15 PM

That upper hose in pic 3 looks shagged, i'd look there.

subikid90 01-08-2013 10:17 PM

I would first clean it all up. I have money on at least the cam seal(s) being bad

subikid90 01-08-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stasis (Post 4237353)
That upper hose in pic 3 looks shagged, i'd look there.

those are all coolant hoses

monkeyposeur 01-08-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stasis (Post 4237297)
There is so much gunk on there I want to fly to the states with a steel brush to clean it all, then burn down your city.

:lol:

Your valve covers may be leaking too. And yeah, replace that lower radiator hose that connects to the water pump. My wife was driving her SS and blew the upper hose a month or so ago. I'm lucky she didn't destroy the engine.

I bet your cam seals are leaking too. Possibly your oil pump needs to be resealed. But as long as you are not losing a quart of oil a week you probably be fine until you do your timing belt and replace them.

Looks like a typical old subie under there, lol.

SomethingWittyAsAUsername 01-08-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 4237398)
But as long as you are not losing a quart of oil a week you probably be fine.

Wait....so I'm not fine...?

:lol:

Stang70Fastback 01-08-2013 11:46 PM

Looks like my car!

Tr00b 01-08-2013 11:48 PM

Go to Wal Mart and get 6 cans of degreaser and spray it on while shes warm but not hot let soak and spray off... If you get it clean you might get an idea of the severity of the leak.

Here are my guesses:

Camshaft seals will be most of the drips on the oil filters and the radiator hose. Might as well count on valvecover gaskets. If you are doing cam seals, you might as well throw a timing belt kit with cam and crank seals, water pump and tensioner on there, fresh radiator hoses (oil does them absolutely no good) Ballpark $300-$400 for those parts.

Looks like an axleshaft seal on one of them.

If your cam seals are going, check your timing belt... Could be oil fouled.

johnegg 01-09-2013 06:38 AM

Cam seals and cam cap o-rings
crank seal
valve cover gaskets
axle shaft seal - read up a lot on this one you can screw your transaxle up.
and oil separator plate on the rear of the block next to the rear main - pull engine to repair.
and probably the pcv

but what is NOT leaking, the rear main seal. they usually don't leak until they have been replaced. and unless it is dripping oil at the seal and running down the block, i would leave it alone.

and probably not the oil pan gasket. lots of folks think that it the leak and if the engine is out there no reason not to replace it, but the factory seal will usually last the life of the car.

twisty 01-09-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr00b (Post 4237501)
Here are my guesses:

Camshaft seals will be most of the drips on the oil filters and the radiator hose. Might as well count on valvecover gaskets. If you are doing cam seals, you might as well throw a timing belt kit with cam and crank seals, water pump and tensioner on there, fresh radiator hoses (oil does them absolutely no good) Ballpark $300-$400 for those parts.

dont forget to do the oil pump O ring while its apart. and a big +1 for cleaning it up so you can see where its leaking from. degreaser and maybe a couple cans of brake cleaner up in there with a scrubber to get it clean.

mattmattyxcore 01-09-2013 06:24 PM

You guys are awesome. I will certainly put this on my to do list for next weekend. Go figure, it's supposed to be in the 70's this weekend and I'll be at drill for all of it. As for now, I'll be doing some shopping around and research on how to do all of this stuff. The ammount of oil that is leaking isn't bad at all, I've only added an additional quart since last October-ish. Trans fluid is good, just checked it after taking those pics. Didn't check the coolant but I'm assuming since one of the leaks is on the coolant hose I will be doing a flush soon.

Tr00b 01-09-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twisty (Post 4237774)
dont forget to do the oil pump O ring while its apart. and a big +1 for cleaning it up so you can see where its leaking from. degreaser and maybe a couple cans of brake cleaner up in there with a scrubber to get it clean.

Oil pump O ring??? I sealed mine up with grey pematex. I never found an O-ring.

monkeyposeur 01-09-2013 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a tiny O ring that sits in a recess on the block behind the fuel pump.

Here's a pic I took when I was rebuilding my 22T.