Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   1 New Tire on AWD? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199249)

E_S_A_D 01-07-2013 11:18 AM

1 New Tire on AWD?

So, we're at 16,000 miles. We had a nail in the tire, unrepareable, and told that we only need to replace the one tire. Do we need to replace two tires to match the rest of them or is at 16,000 miles one tire not going to make a difference? Dealership seemed okay with just doing the one tire.

whitetiger 01-07-2013 11:22 AM

it all depends on how worn the other tires are. take a tread depth measurement of the old tires, and then of the new. if the difference is less than .25", then you are ok.

E_S_A_D 01-07-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetiger (Post 4234422)
it all depends on how worn the other tires are. take a tread depth measurement of the old tires, and then of the new. if the difference is less than .25", then you are ok.

7/32 old tire... not sure what a new tire would be... excuse my novice tire knowledge =)

E_S_A_D 01-07-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E_S_A_D (Post 4234431)
7/32 old tire... not sure what a new tire would be... excuse my novice tire knowledge =)

If the old one is 7/32... woudl that work?

BAC5.2 01-07-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetiger (Post 4234422)

No, No No. NOT .25" of tread depth variation.

The OLD Subaru requirement was 1/4" CIRCUMFERENCE difference. That's imperceptibly little variance, about 1/125", in tread depth. If the difference in depth is greater than 1/64th, it violates the old requirement. Most people believe, and are probably correct, that you are safe to +/- 1/32nd.

The NEW Subaru stance, requires all four tires to have the same degree of wear. There is no allowance for variation, make, model, or size. That stance is fairly definite.

To be safe, I'd replace all 4. It's costly, but the OEM tires on any Subaru leave a lot of the cars performance on the table.

CL21376 01-07-2013 11:56 AM

Tire rack will shave tires. Confirm the tread depth measurement and order 1 replacement tire and have it shaved.

Berzerklo 01-07-2013 11:56 AM

You can also try and find a local tire shop that will shave the new tire to match the wear of the old tires.

E_S_A_D 01-07-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAC5.2 (Post 4234474)

The OLD Subaru requirement was 1/4" CIRCUMFERENCE difference. That's imperceptibly little variance, about 1/125", in tread depth. If the difference in depth is greater than 1/64th, it violates the old requirement. Most people believe, and are probably correct, that you are safe to +/- 1/32nd.

The NEW Subaru stance, requires all four tires to have the same degree of wear. There is no allowance for variation, make, model, or size. That stance is fairly definite.

To be safe, I'd replace all 4. It's costly, but the OEM tires on any Subaru leave a lot of the cars performance on the table.

Interesting... is there a way for them to 'grind' the tire down to match the other three's depth? I'd hate to replace all 4 tires when they're in such good shape still with just over 15,000 miles on them.

E_S_A_D 01-07-2013 12:06 PM

I just left a message with the dealership asking if they can shave the tire to match the others for now. Will dealerships shops do this typically?

BAC5.2 01-07-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL21376 (Post 4234480)
Tire rack will shave tires. Confirm the tread depth measurement and order 1 replacement tire and have it shaved.

There are limitations on what they can shave, IIRC. I think they only shave in 1/32" increments.

E_S_A_D 01-07-2013 12:24 PM

I presume the dealership is the right place to have it. They are a pure Subaru dealership and service center, I'll trust their judgements. Appreciate your info.

GTEASER 01-07-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E_S_A_D (Post 4234544)
I'll trust their judgements.:eek::eek:

Not sure I would rely on that solely. Make sure you are educated and call around.

Better watch those martinis.........:lol::lol::lol:

TwoTone 01-07-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

I presume the dealership is the right place to have it. They are a pure Subaru dealership and service center, I'll trust their judgements. Appreciate your info.

Better get it in writing that they say it's ok. If you have a problem with the AWD system later and Subaru denies it because you replaced one tire- good luck getting the dealer to stand by you.

That fact that they recommended 1 tire on an AWD vehicle without mentioning shaving it down to me screams look for a new dealer.

CL21376 01-07-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't :lol:

I suspect they will want to sell you four new tires.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-a...-shave-as-well

I had the same thing happen to me--sidewall puncture--about 8 months ago. Ordered a shaved tire from tire rack (I think i had 9/32 tread left, although I don't remember the exact amount and can't seem to find the invoice).

whitetiger 01-07-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAC5.2 (Post 4234474)

ill take your word for it:). the last sentence should be the motivation for the OP anyways.