Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pacific Northwest (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Daily brake pads (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199229)

triple_B 01-06-2013 09:06 PM

Daily brake pads

Hey Hey trusted locals,
I need your insight.
ive got 4 weeks till my 1st kid is born and my to do list isn't getting much shorter.
currently at the top is getting new brake pads on the car.
ages ago I melted the stock pads then went Hawk HPS and soon to Hawk DCT-70/60s for the track.
so im set for track pads but I need daily pads. since they will only be for the few 1000 miles of street driving Im trying to decide if I need anything special. should I go stock, schucks specials, shucks premium, or back to HPS?
HPSs worked well. no real noise issues and I don't recall dust issues.

whats the story with Ceramics? no dust, no noise? is there a reduction in stopping force or longevity?

thanks for any info
Triple

a93x 01-06-2013 10:58 PM

I daily with Brembos/DBA4000/HAWK HPS. I love them and the only noise I get is while reversing and it is minimal. They stop on a dime and I am very pleased with them.

boxkita 01-07-2013 05:03 PM

Hawk HPS is my preferred option for street, as it allows for "spirited driving", too. On my third set, as I liked them so much.

rhino6303 01-07-2013 05:39 PM

I don't have a lot to compare to on my LGT but I have Stoptech pads and they work very well. They do have a little noise on reverse when cold but none once rotors warm up.

underground000 01-07-2013 06:10 PM

if you liked the hps then get them again. why get another pad that you may or may not like... i have stoptechs, like them over stock but my wheels get dirty fast. but for the price its ok....

triple_B 01-07-2013 10:29 PM

hmmmm?
I expected more Drama!
ya I guess $170 for HPS is not much more than $100 for shucks specials.

im in a bit of transition. I really never drive the car. I may drive it more on the track than I do on the road. huh. so that's why im thinking of pulling a highschool move and save some coin with Schucks special.
what to do??? :spin:

a93x 01-07-2013 11:55 PM

$170 for just fronts or what? who are you going through? I think I paid 140ish from PRE for mine and they were for the brembos.

12sechatch 01-08-2013 09:38 AM

if you're just daily driving the car, get a basic OEM pad. If you want a slightly more aggressive pad, get the Stoptechs.

You'd be throwing money away if you get anything higher than that.

Code 01-08-2013 10:48 AM

The stock pads suck and left deposits on my rotors. I replaced them with CarboTech Bobcat pads and they are great. Good bite when cold and don't dust much.

boxkita 01-08-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triple_B (Post 4235586)
im in a bit of transition. I really never drive the car. I may drive it more on the track than I do on the road.

Sell it. Spend the money on your kid.

RyanGT 01-08-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxkita (Post 4236280)
Sell it. Spend the money on your kid.

boxkita, what kind of race car driver are you? That's a major FAIL! Let the grandparents spoil the kid and he should spoil himself by getting better brakes and more mods! Parenting can be stressful.

boxkita 01-08-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanGT (Post 4236678)
boxkita, what kind of race car driver are you?

The kind that sidelines the competition before they get out to the track?

triple_B 01-08-2013 10:44 PM

A93x, $170 is a rough MSRP for front and rear. I wouldn't pay that. previously FredBeans parts has been very nice to me. they are offering much better prices.

Box, the LGT is the 2nd kid, first child will be 3rd AND.....the dog is 1st!
no spoiling racing (he says before he has a crying pooping alien burst from his wifes belly).

since no one has anything to say about ceramics I think ill go back to HPS.

boxkita 01-08-2013 11:20 PM

^^^ let me know how that priority list works out for you when the alien shows up.

BTW, have you seen Turn 2's latest schedule? You might want to get another set of the DTC pads for the ORP days. :-)

triple_B 01-09-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxkita (Post 4237526)
^^^ let me know how that priority list works out for you when the alien shows up.

BTW, have you seen Turn 2's latest schedule? You might want to get another set of the DTC pads for the ORP days. :-)

I have, very cool! ORP would be fun. a bit of a trip but it looks beautiful in the vids.
not sure what my DTC look like as they are still on the LGT from the last track day. :mad: too dark and cold to swap them then. but no biggy. once I get the new dailies on ill see what ive got.

more important I need to figure out a wobble in the steering/front end. after my 1st session end of Nov I started to notice a wobble when braking. it would worsen extremely if I trail broke ( or just broke hard in a corner to feel it out). at the begging of a session it would be minor. but as something heated up it would get bad. after 15mins it was at its worse.

I took the brakes off, swapped flipped a few times with no affect. I could get no wobble out of the front bearings while jacked up and tugging. suppose it could still be a wheel bearing (specially as heat increases).
maybe LCA bushings? as heat builds would those weaken?

could be an alignment issue as well.

I was hoping I could replicate on the streets but haven't found a safe corner to hit at 80 and brake. :spin: with that said I think I feel a bit of wobble braking on off ramps and some pulling but haven't put many miles on it in months. so perhaps alignment still.

ohh heres my drama. not to mention my AFT heat buildup...but its not a problem in this weather.