Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Group Buy Forum (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   5MT & 6MT owners: interest in clutch switch bypass plug? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199113)

ScottFW 01-04-2013 03:03 PM

5MT & 6MT owners: interest in clutch switch bypass plug?

2 Attachment(s)
WHAT THIS IS
I made a jumper connector that bypasses the clutch starter interlock switch, which allows the vehicle to be started without depressing the clutch pedal. I found the proper mating connectors, so this is plug-and-play. It does not require any cutting, splicing or soldering of your vehicle wiring, thus it is 100% reversible.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...psadb1a265.jpg

UPDATE 29 Jan 2013
Parts have arrived and I am ready to take payments and ship them out. If you're not on the list, post a reply in this thread or PM me to buy. I have enough parts to accommodate additional buyers. The "bypass only" plug is $7 and the "selectable bypass" harness is $10, Paypal'ed & shipped CONUS. If you don't like Paypal, PM me for alternate payment info. I will ship internationally at slightly higher cost.

The selectable version will let you switch between having the clutch-starter interlock bypassed, or functioning like stock so your kid/wife/valet can't accidentally start the car in gear. The selectable harness will have two red pigtail wires approximately 18" in length, to which you will have to add the switch of your preference. This is to keep the price down while accommodating different folks' tastes in switch appearance and mounting location.

FOR INSTALLATION WALKTHROUGH CLICK HERE

WHY YOU WANT THIS
  • Some Subaru owners have reported their clutch interlock switch getting out of adjustment or developing contact issues over time that cause intermittent failures to start.
  • Bypassing that switch may or may not result in any measurable increase in throwout bearing lifespan, but keeping the load off of the TOB during startup certainly can't hurt and these Subaru TOBs need all the help they can get.
  • This will also keep the axial load of the pressure plate off of your crankshaft thrust bearing during startup, when it's not getting any oil pressure.
  • This will allow you to get the vehicle rolling using a quick bump with the starter and then clutching in, useful for moving the car a short distance (for example, into or out of the garage) without putting a cold start on the engine.
  • Sometimes you just want to reach in the car, pop it in neutral, and start it without having to put your ass in the seat. For example, to get it warming up while you brush off the snow.
  • So your passenger can start the car to get it warming up, or run the heat or A/C while waiting for you.
FITMENT
Will fit any Subaru that uses OEM clutch switch # 83281AA010. As far as I can tell, that's just about every recent Subaru with a manual transmission. I have found cross-references for 1994-2009 Legacies as well as Imprezas and WRXs/STIs, Outbacks, Foresters and Bajas made between those years. Based on GTEASER's pics of his 2012 6MT this should also work for you 2010+ owners. Interestingly, it looks like it will also fit 1982-84 Standards, GLs, DLs, and Brats! I don't have any info for model years 1985-1993. But if your clutch switch looks like either of these shown below with the offset T-shaped contacts, you're good to go.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps25fe0720.jpg

If you're interested in buying, please post a reply or PM me.

Bypass only ($7)
1. Daniels (paid, shipped)
2. Charged (paid, shipped)
3. spc2125 (paid, shipped)
4. LouzGT (paid, shipped)
5. dhallett00 (paid, shipped)
6. Byll (paid, shipped)
7. mr_hicksta (paid, shipped)
8. NWSPECB (paid, shipped)
9. sigmafour (paid, shipped)
10. grantman10 (paid, shipped)
11. 06Legacy (paid, shipped)
12. jleighton88 (paid, shipped)
13. Lwolf25 (paid, shipped)
14. hal9e3 (paid, shipped)
15. derkahn (paid, shipped)
16. (PM me if interested)

Selectable bypass ($10)
1. GTEASER (paid, shipped)
2. Kelvrick (paid, shipped)
3. bucko3the7man (paid, shipped)
4. Darksabre (paid, shipped)
5. amidroc (paid, shipped)
6. Turkeylord (paid, shipped)
7. hassa (paid, shipped)
8. DarkChief22 (paid, shipped)
9. Shawn06SpecB (paid, shipped)
10. crashdumbe (paid, shipped)
11. Gregroot198521 (paid, shipped)
12. (PM me if interested)

tDoug60 01-04-2013 03:09 PM

Interested

SBT 01-04-2013 03:12 PM

Scott,

Looks great and thanks. Not sure why the photobucket link is not working, so could you load that to the site rather than linking. Thanks.

PhilT 01-04-2013 03:17 PM

Interested

GTTuner 01-04-2013 03:28 PM

Great for installing a remote starter. This works too!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

.:Catalyst:. 01-04-2013 03:30 PM

Interested :cool:

ScottFW 01-04-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTTuner (Post 4231008)
Great for installing a remote starter. This works too!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps34550da1.jpg

My strong opinion is that the temporary convenience of tap splices is not worth the potential headache they can cause you in the future. As the wiring is exposed to bumps and vibrations over time (several years), they chew up the wiring and the connection can become intermittent.

My father used a bunch of those to power accessories from the dash wiring in my 4Runner. Many years later, my radar detector started losing power and rebooting (lots of annoying beeps on that old Bel) every time I hit a significant bump in the road. Shortly after that, the CB radio, trigger lead for the relay that powered my onboard air, and the cigarrette lighter socket followed suit. To fix it I had to take apart the dash and run new wires to replace the ones that were mangled by tap splices. After that experience I have always crimped and/or soldered, but a proper mating connector is even better since it allows you to avoid molesting the factory wiring altogether.

hassa 01-04-2013 06:23 PM

Interested

GTEASER 01-04-2013 06:36 PM

Interest.

NWSPECB 01-05-2013 12:07 AM

Interested.

BarManBean 01-05-2013 12:12 AM

Buy / express interest with confidence here folks--great guy, smart guy, and he definitely knows his way around these cars.

GTEASER 01-05-2013 11:46 AM

Can you put a toggle switch in the bypass to select either OEM function or Bypass? Don't want a valet getting into the car and brainfarting that its an automatic, starting by accident in gear, and having it jump into another parked car.

Daniels 01-05-2013 11:54 AM

interested

ScottFW 01-05-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarManBean (Post 4231555)
Buy / express interest with confidence here folks...

Thanks homey, I appreciate the sentiment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTEASER (Post 4231948)
Can you put a toggle switch in the bypass to select either OEM function or Bypass?

This simple bypass plug would not work for that, since it replaces the clutch switch on the end of the harness. What you're talking about is simple from an electronics standpoint though. You would leave the clutch pedal switch connected and add an SPST switch across the two clutch switch wires. With the SPST open, the clutch pedal switch functions like stock. With the SPST switch closed, the clutch pedal switch is bypassed.

The issue with me providing that is implementing it in a way that would appeal to enough buyers. In order to be plug-and-play with no splicing or soldering, I'd have to use both "sexes" of the oddball connector to basically intercept the factory wiring clip to the clutch switch, then run wires to a remote SPST switch. Because not everybody likes the same appearance of switches or wants to add one to the dash, if I was providing it I would probably use a small SPST toggle and put it in a little project box that could be mounted under the dash in some reasonably convenient location. This solution quadruples the parts cost and time to build, but it's easily doable. With multiple interested people I could probably do it for around $20-25 finished & shipped. I can make you a one-off but then I'm buying single quantity parts at higher per-unit cost. That doesn't appeal to my inner cheap bastard, but if you don't mind the extra cost then I'd be happy to build it.

If you don't need it to be plug-and-play and you're comfortable enough with wiring to do a secure job of cutting, splicing and soldering while crawled up under the dash, you could DIY using your choice of switch and mounting location for about $5.

SBT 01-05-2013 03:29 PM

I actually like the idea of a 1/0 switch that would enable me to turn it on when someone else drives it, i.e., wife, valet, etc.

Don't want to complicate this, but perhaps two interest lists. One P&P replacement for the clutch switch and one switchable P&P replacement for the clutch switch.