Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Got my windows tinted (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199066)

biggitybakes 01-03-2013 05:18 PM

Got my windows tinted

Job looks ok. They said wait up 3-4 weeks for it to dry/settle etc. I am fine with that. I do have one question though. On the back window he cut around the brake light. Looks a bit weird to me. Looked around at some other's pictures some had it tinted, some didn't. I am thinking it looks a bit lazy etc, should I ask them to finish the job?

faded-a-fool 01-03-2013 05:37 PM

Hmm good question. My break light isn't tinted either. Maybe it would be just like tinting your tail lights so shops won't do it...IDK

biggitybakes 01-03-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faded-a-fool (Post 4229761)
Hmm good question. My break light isn't tinted either. Maybe it would be just like tinting your tail lights so shops won't do it...IDK

Yeah.. then I could argue that I have the high tail light on my spoiler :) Looks ok from behind. When you are standing next to it, it looks pretty bad.

Jace2010LGT 01-03-2013 05:51 PM

Most wont tint the 3rd brake light. Are you sure they said 3-4 WEEKS? I've had every car I've ever owned tinted professionally and was told 2-3 days. There is no way in hell I'd wait a month to crack a window. I would ask them about that again. I'm certain there is a miscommunication somewhere.

biggitybakes 01-03-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jace2010LGT (Post 4229788)
Most wont tint the 3rd brake light. Are you sure they said 3-4 WEEKS? I've had every car I've ever owned tinted professionally and was told 2-3 days. There is no way in hell I'd wait a month to crack a window. I would ask them about that again. I'm certain there is a miscommunication somewhere.

They said 5 days before I could roll them down. They also said normally it takes 2 weeks before all the streaks and moisture will evaporate, but in the cold weather it could be 3-4 weeks... lol.

They'd really have nothing to argue about since I have a 3rd brake light on my spoiler eh? I'd pay them to redo it, the third brake light in the window sticks out like a sore thumb when not tinted.. (even with 35% all around).

Jace2010LGT 01-03-2013 06:07 PM

Oh, I gotcha. It usually takes a few weeks for everything to settle. If you are not 100% happy with it take it back ASAP. More than likely they will take care of it. Don't let it totally dry then decide to bring it up. Removing tint sucks, even pros hate it.

Syndicate 01-03-2013 07:29 PM

...I got my windows tinted after Christmas, my entire back window is tinted brake light included. I did request they tint the entire rear window if possible though, I would say follow up w/the shop and see if they're willing to 'fix' the rear tinting.

Magic Marker 01-03-2013 07:45 PM

I was asked by the installer if I wanted to cover the 3rd brake light. I let them cover it. At 35%, it looks fine covered.

EJ25subie05 01-03-2013 07:54 PM

i just got mine tinted at 20 percent all around by lumar last week. He did cover the brake light and did a fantastic job on all the other windows. yes you are going to have to wait a few days until you can roll your windows down. i waited 4 days till i rolled them down then another day or two until i cleaned them.

3.6rrrrrmatey 01-03-2013 08:21 PM

If you don't like the look very nicely ask them about it. Find out their reason for not doing it and let them know you expected it to look different.

My tint shop put stickers on my window switches that said 4 days. I don't know if that's specific to their tint/process.

Rahhstah 01-03-2013 11:44 PM

My back windows was completely tinted... the third brake light housing pops out of the way fairly easily I believe. I think it'd look weird if they cut around it.

It took ~3 weeks before all the waviness vanished from the back window, too.

And it's standard to have to wait a few days for the tint to dry before rolling down your windows... I was told to wait a week - and unfortunately where I work I have to badge into the parking garage... and pay to have that window re-done once :(

nightspeed98 01-03-2013 11:57 PM

It's illegal in some states. 0 tint on lights. Check there, maybe installers wanted to abide by the law.

Magic Marker 01-04-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightspeed98 (Post 4230130)
It's illegal in some states. 0 tint on lights. Check there, maybe installers wanted to abide by the law.

It's illegal in NJ, but not part of inspection anymore. Besides with 35% covering mine, it's not even that noticeable.

BMA44 01-04-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faded-a-fool (Post 4229761)

this

nstg8r 01-04-2013 12:49 PM

In NY, the only law that would apply is that all stop lamps must be "visible at least five hundred feet from the rear of the vehicle when the brake of such vehicle is applied." (NYSV&TL 375[40-b])