Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Blowing smoke, no boost, and knocking noise. (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198860)

Cody480 12-30-2012 09:47 AM

Blowing smoke, no boost, and knocking noise.

Hey all, Cody here. I'm new to the Subaru game, I know really little about the engine. I just purchased a 2007 legacy gt 5m/t. The miles are kinda high (145000). Just purchased her yesterday, and I took her to the local meet last night and went on a cruise with some buddies. The car drove fine the entire night didn't drive it like a adolescent did get into it respectfully though. Well on my way back home on a highway drive the CEL, cruise light and (S) sport light were on with the cruise and sport flashing. The car would not boost whatsoever and wouldn't go over 60mph. So I got off of the free way and rolled down the window and there is a rattle coming from the DS somewhere in the engine sounds the head? When I got home I just parked it and let it sit, so this morning I went out to check it out. As much as I could with my knowledge of the engine. The oil was fine and the CEL combo was still the same. When I started the car it rolled smoke like diesel so I immediately shut it off and looked at the turbo to see if any of the seals seemed destroyed. Didn't see anything, took it to autozone about a mile away and the CEL turned off half way there. It rolled smoke the whole way there. I'm at a complete loss I don't know what the sound could be because it doesn't do it at an idle but gets louder as I accelerate. I appreciate any words in advance, thank you.

2manysubies 12-30-2012 11:03 AM

You need to get the code read, just because the CEL went out, doesn't mean there are no codes. What kind of smoke? Smell like oil or antifreeze? Make a recording of the engine noise and post. Don't run the car, just minimal for troubleshooting. Next would be compression check, leakdown test, Borescope, look at the plugs etc...

Mac

Cody480 12-30-2012 11:43 AM

Yes I drove it to autozone to get it checked and it didn't stick I dont know if that's common they couldn't read it. I will have to do more research on it. I believe the smoke smells like gas/oil. The oil on dip is not milky. So I'm not thinking its a HG. The noise seems to be from the head on the driverside. But the "bottom-end" is technically in the center of this motor correct? My knowledge of the motor is minimal so i will do what I can do. Is there a self way to check the CEL or no. And is there a list of reputable shops in certain areas like cities anywhere? I'm in fort Eustis va 23605.

Cody480 12-30-2012 02:27 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/31/suqu8yry.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/31/u6edugum.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/31/e8ute5a3.jpg

Attached are some photos of what I seen when I disconnected the IC. Seems to be alot of oil. I could be wrong but I don't think there should be a puddle in the TB. Any ideas from that picture?

wurkenman 12-30-2012 02:37 PM

Is there oil in the up pipe? If not, i would say the oil seal on the hot side of the turbo is shot.

ripemeat 12-30-2012 03:23 PM

is it idling rough? like misfiring? oil in the compressor side will not occur if hot side turbo oil seal is shot, it will occur if you blew a piston apart. this is from excess crankcase pressure causing oil to get pushed into the pcv system and into the inlet thus sucked in the turbo compressor and shot through the intercooler. ask me how i know.

a hot side turbo seal- it will smoke at idle and be wet in the ehxaust side of the turbo, you can eliminate the turbo as an issue by removing the downpipe and looking at the backside of the turbo if its wet or not.

what Cody should do is 1. let the engine idle, remove oil fill cap, observe if there are smoke puffs. air should come out in a pulsation normally, but not with smoke. if there's smoke, there's combustion gases in your crankcase which mean one cyl has lost acceptable compression and the combustion is blowing past the piston(along with burnt oil smoke) and into the crankcase thus the oil cap.

2. compression test.

Cody480 12-30-2012 04:14 PM

Yes, Ripemeat, there is smoke coming out of the oil cap area. There is an awful noise coming from the engine compartment. (sounds like the equivalent to pop rocks in the oil) So your saying that something with the piston. I'm really new to this Subaru boxer scene. But that would mean either piston rings, piston itself or could it be less serious? And i know it probably sounds stupid but I honestly cant even find the spark plugs. I found one of the ICP's on the pass. side of the vehicle but as for the driver side i could not find anything.

Approximately how much does something of this nature cost at a repair shop?

ripemeat 12-30-2012 04:29 PM

broken piston ringlands can also make a tapping noise but smoke out of the oil cap is a grim sign. the spark plugs are connected to the coil packs. find a reputable subaru shop to do the work. a compression test confirms the differential diagnosis of cracked ringlands. it wouldn't hurt to check the turbo for shaft play just to rule it out as the issue- it can make a marble-in-a-can noise when the bearing is shot. take a video of the noise and post it up on youtube for us to hear... here's what i'm talking about when there are cracked ringland(s)

ripemeat 12-30-2012 04:31 PM

typically, cost of repair depends on the shop, but you can either install new pistons with maybe forged ones which are stronger after the block has been honed(or machined depending on damage of the walls). or you can get a whole new sti shortblock from subaru for ~$1800, and then a gasket kit which is about $250, and then add labor for pulling motor, installing parts, and reinstalling motor.

-does your car have modifications? does it have a tune? or is it stock?

Cody480 12-30-2012 05:02 PM

<----- this is the link to the video i took before you said something about the smoke in oil filler. I did notice it was doing that, but this video shows the tail pipe smoke and the noise.

I am not sure if it is totally stock or not i do know it has a prodrive axle or cat back havent inspected too much. It has some really shiny turbo heat sheild and at 3" downpipe whick is stainless. so other than bolt ons yes its stock as far as i know. as for a tune i dont believe so. there is no cobb AP but i havent looked at the ecm/ecu to see if it has a program in it. I still have alot to learn about these cars.

ripemeat 12-30-2012 05:07 PM

hmmm... tough to hear exactly where the noise is. check your turbo for shaft play, if it's toast it will spin and bounce around like marbles in a can. if you have an aftermarket downpipe you need a tune, its a requirement. who knows if you have an open source tune or not(the other option beside accessport). the smoke at idle leads me to believe it may be turbo related. easiest thing to do is remove the downpipe and look at the turbine to see if its all banged up. the longer you let the car idle and/or drive it if the turbo is blown, the more damage it causes to your engine bearings. drain the oil and inspect the oil for metal flakes/shiny dust.

Cody480 12-30-2012 05:14 PM

There is a guy local that says he builds ej20,ej25 for 1500 is that a good price? I called him to see what he would say about the oil filler smoke and he said i would have to replace the rod knock or something. I asked him what he would charge to do that and he said that he rebuilds for 1500, so im not sure if he was dodging doing that or if its just better to replace the whole motor. Here is a link to his CL post he has pics and what not.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/3503996724.html

Am i just over reacting or is this something that should be done (engine rebuild) Or is there a cheaper, yet still fixing the problem correctly, route to doing this? I do appreciate all your guys' quick and knowledgeable replies.

ripemeat 12-30-2012 05:17 PM

you need to diagnose the car with the tests we told you to perform, that will determine what you need to replace, we cannot tell you exactly what it is without these diagnostics. check turbo shaft play, compression test. the noise sounds a lot like the turbo turbine is blown out and spinning and bouncing around. a turbo that gets blown may take out the shortblock bearings too shortly after. edit: i see you did get a CEL, what was the code? thats the first thing to get scanned....

Cody480 12-30-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripemeat (Post 4224620)
hmmm... tough to hear exactly where the noise is. check your turbo for shaft play, if it's toast it will spin and bounce around like marbles in a can. if you have an aftermarket downpipe you need a tune, its a requirement. who knows if you have an open source tune or not(the other option beside accessport). the smoke at idle leads me to believe it may be turbo related. easiest thing to do is remove the downpipe and look at the turbine to see if its all banged up. the longer you let the car idle and/or drive it if the turbo is blown, the more damage it causes to your engine bearings. drain the oil and inspect the oil for metal flakes/shiny dust.

If the turbo is done and its blown or what not would there still be all that oil in those parts? Also the car would not come out of vacuum at all when the problems started happening. Is that relevant or is that just the cpu not allowing boost as a result of the issue.

Cody480 12-30-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripemeat (Post 4224634)
you need to diagnose the car with the tests we told you to perform, that will determine what you need to replace, we cannot tell you exactly what it is without these diagnostics. check turbo shaft play, compression test. the noise sounds a lot like the turbo turbine is blown out and spinning and bouncing around. a turbo that gets blown may take out the shortblock bearings too shortly after. edit: i see you did get a CEL, what was the code? thats the first thing to get scanned....

Ok ill check the turbo early in the morning. I did go to AutoZone to check the code but by the time i got there the CEL was not on and the code didnt stick so they couldnt find anything. My other questions are you said that the oil filler smoke was an indication of the piston area. And if its the turbo would the oil have been in those areas or not? I plan to do as many tests as I can in the morning time, Im just trying to grasp what i need to look for in the morning.