Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Cooper RS3-A Review (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198774)

alcopaulic 12-28-2012 09:38 AM

Cooper RS3-A Review

Even though a while back I posted a thread about buying some Continental Extreme Contact DWS for the LGT. Discount tire direct had them back ordered for so long and I went with an even cheaper option the Cooper RS3-A.

I got them from Discount Tire Direct online and had them put on by a local tire shop here, since we have no DTD's in Wisconsin. I paid about $650 plus a $100 dollar rebate gift card, which pretty much got used up in the mounting and balancing fees.

Compared to the almost wore out Bridgestone Potenzas I had on the car, these tires are night and day. Alot of that has to do with the lack of tread left on the potenzas (going from old tread to new tread, no matter the tire, will always make a difference) but at least part of it is the actual tire. The car doesn't wobble nearly as much in a hard corner, I mean THAT is noticable. Traction has improved greatly. The tire rides stiffer (which I actually wanted). Road noise hasn't really changed IMO, but I didn't think the potenzas were loud so that's not an issue.

And now to the REAL reason I bought the tires. They are GREAT in the snow (at least at full tread) we had a dumping here in Wisconsin last week (18" to around 4" depending on where you live) and I got on the throttle a few times to test it out, no slipping, no out of control feeling, and the traction control light only came on in first gear. I'm at stage 2, so getting on the gas in 1st gear, even in dry conditions can turn the TCS on. So my review is pretty positive about these tires, and I would consider them an alternative to anyone thinking about getting the continental extreme contact DWS.

I took some pictures of the tires, but I'm sure google will turn up better results.

SurlyOldManMN 12-29-2012 04:53 PM

Who tuned your car that you're not able to piss off traction control on winter tires in 1-4 gear? ;)

3.6rrrrrmatey 12-29-2012 05:29 PM

What are the reasons they are a comparable alternative?

awalegacy 12-31-2012 12:44 PM

I recently purchased the RS3-A also; but for my BMW.

Since the BMW has a lot more power than the Subaru, it can still break traction in snow even in 6th gear, however their snow traction HAS impressed me - especially for being a UHP all season. Not even close to a dedicated winter tire though....

I've been pleased with them so far.

Almatti 01-01-2013 07:46 AM

I had originally got the RS3-As for our 2010 Legacy Premium after I upgraded to the 17" Subaru wheels (thx Steve) by purchasing them on this forum.

They were spectacular..handling, steering, BUT very hard at 225/50/17s. Cooper allows for a 45 day Exchange program which Mavis Tire honored. They wouldn't balance just right. Brought them to our trusted Dealer [Grand Prix Subaru in Hicksville, Long Island, NY - they are great]. They couldn't get them to balance because of the nature of the tire - a UHP {just a slight grade down froma a racing tire according to the tire/wheel tech at the dealer]. He suggested to change them for a tire a notch down. I went to Cooper CS4s....Very Glad I did. less harsh for this car. I took the tech's advice and went with 215/50/17s (that's the recommended tire size for a NON -LGT). The tires are impressive in dry, & wet, offer excellent handling characteristics, have an excellent Traction & Tread wear grades, are highly rated by Consumers Reports [Though not the highest rated like the CS3-As). For $110 per mounted & balanced from Mavis Tires, they balanced perfectly, ride comfortably. When we get some snow, we'll see how they work in that type of conditions. Michelins, Yeah, they are great tires, but these Coopers offer a great value for the Buck and they are made in the USA.

Platinum_Racing 02-07-2013 08:27 PM

Sorry to revive a several month old thread. I searched and found this thread, which is about as relevant as it gets.

I just had these tires installed today. I haven't had much drive time with them yet, but so far they're a massive improvement. The previous owner had the absolute worst tires installed on this car. I found them online for $57 each. Here they are...
http://www.vulcantire.com/tire_detai...FQ-f4AodJCIA3A

They were terrible. The understeer pulling into dirty parking spots was scary. The front of the car would just slide over 4-10 inches if you were riding the brake. And they sounded just like BFG All-Terrains on the highway.

The biggest difference so far (In the less than 100 miles since having them installed) is that they are virtually silent. I knew the crappy tires were way louder than normal tires, but I still chalked some of the noise up to the car itself, specifically the drivetrain. I never realized the car itself was so quiet. I also noticed that going over bumps doesn't quite have the same edge to it that it used to. Surprisingly braking so far feels about the same. I had to do a couple panic stops with the "Made In China" tires and they never really broke traction for more than a couple chirps. Maybe that's the electronic brake distribution doing its job though, who knows. Cornering hasn't just improved, it's actually possible now. The China tires had way more understeer than I ever realized, and they sent every single bump during a turn straight into the steering rack as a violent jolt. These tires are indescribably better. I'll get back with more details after this storm passes and I can get some real-world use out of these tires.

Almatti 02-10-2013 11:40 AM

Platinum, did you get the Cooper RS3s? Did you try them in the new Snow?

Platinum_Racing 02-10-2013 07:28 PM

I got the RS3-a. The S is the summer tire, while the A is an all-season. I can't speak for the S variant, but most slush just rolled right under these RS3-a tires.

Before inconsistent slush and snow would make the car do a strange lateral shimmy, like it was skating those grates they use on bridges. These tires dig right down to the pavement through most any kind of snow. I was very impressed. I noticed that my gas mileage has gone up tremendously too. Before my average was 19.8 between fill ups. I've got it up to 23.5 so far, but I can tell that while cruising its way easier to keep the mileage computer above 25. Before I was excited when it would go over 20. Everything about the car is better. Launches don't have any shudder to them (Something I didn't even realize was happening before), and turns are just all around more comfortable. They feel much easier, physically, on the car itself. I couldn't be happier.

Almatti 02-17-2013 12:03 PM

Cooper CS4 Touring - Snow Travel Review

Well we received the first "real" snow in the NY area last week. A quick summation on the Cooper CS4s Touring now on the 2010 legacy: Terrific, much better than the OEM Turanazas. Yes, they are being compared to older tires vs. newer tires, but there is a difference in overall handling as well, IMO.

She handled solidly over snow / ice /slushy roads during the initial hours of the snow storm (Now the Media is into naming every storm {Nemo !!!}.

alcopaulic 02-24-2013 11:57 AM

I don't get on here much so I'm sorry I missed any of the updates to the thread I started, but after more snow and more conditions, I can say I'm pretty happy with the coopers. They DO break loose plenty, especially in the more extreme snow conditions but they do keep the car accelerating forward (along with the AWD) quite nicely. If I have one complaint about the tires it would be any sort of throttle under a slow turn and it does get pretty squirrly, but you're not really supposed to punch the gas on a turn in the snow anyways. And dry or wet conditions is a huge improvement over the stock bridgestones.

SurlyOldManMN 02-24-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcopaulic (Post 4309404)
...you're not really supposed to punch the gas on a turn in the snow anyways.

Oops. :redface:

alcopaulic 02-24-2013 12:35 PM

Well. Not supposed to punch the gas on a turn if you want to remain stable and responsible I should say.

BoFoSho 04-02-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing (Post 4283958)
Sorry to revive a several month old thread. I searched and found this thread, which is about as relevant as it gets.

I just had these tires installed today. I haven't had much drive time with them yet, but so far they're a massive improvement. The previous owner had the absolute worst tires installed on this car. I found them online for $57 each. Here they are...
http://www.vulcantire.com/tire_detai...FQ-f4AodJCIA3A

They were terrible. The understeer pulling into dirty parking spots was scary. The front of the car would just slide over 4-10 inches if you were riding the brake. And they sounded just like BFG All-Terrains on the highway.

The biggest difference so far (In the less than 100 miles since having them installed) is that they are virtually silent. I knew the crappy tires were way louder than normal tires, but I still chalked some of the noise up to the car itself, specifically the drivetrain. I never realized the car itself was so quiet. I also noticed that going over bumps doesn't quite have the same edge to it that it used to. Surprisingly braking so far feels about the same. I had to do a couple panic stops with the "Made In China" tires and they never really broke traction for more than a couple chirps. Maybe that's the electronic brake distribution doing its job though, who knows. Cornering hasn't just improved, it's actually possible now. The China tires had way more understeer than I ever realized, and they sent every single bump during a turn straight into the steering rack as a violent jolt. These tires are indescribably better. I'll get back with more details after this storm passes and I can get some real-world use out of these tires.

Did you get the RS3-A's? Have you tried them in snow?

alcopaulic 04-03-2014 04:07 PM

As the original poster of this thread I would like to put in my one year review since it became semi-relevant again. These tires are average at best. After switching from the stock bridgestones these tires appeared to be the best thing since sliced bread, but that just goes to show you how bad the original tires are with 45K on them. They are quiet and during dry and wet conditions they work just fine. They are useless in the snow. I didn't expect snow tire quality traction, but they are no better than most other all seasons I would expect.