Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   another stupid question (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198750)

bradze 12-27-2012 08:01 PM

another stupid question

would a 5EAT fit with an '11 EJ25? just curious since i don't trust the longevity of my CVT. i read too many negative reviews. just curious if the thing ever dies. i love my car and would rather transplant a new drivetrain than buy a new car. an sti swap is about $15k, much better than close to $40k for a new outback.

GTEASER 12-27-2012 08:35 PM

I don't think anyone will truly know the answer to that question until your CVT dies and you try it.....:lol::lol: I don't see why it wouldn't, mechanically, but getting the 5EAT to talk to the Outback ECM, electronically, if it needs to, may be a challenge.

bradze 12-27-2012 08:54 PM

thanks, i imagine someone else will figure this out before i do, im just bored

PoManzAWD 12-28-2012 08:34 AM

Where did you hear "too many negative reviews" on 2010+ Subarus equipped with CVTs? I haven't read of a single failure on them.

With the electronics on these cars, it would never be a direct swap changing to a different transmission.

Joel

bradze 12-28-2012 09:07 AM

i read tons of them on subaruoutback.org. not many of them have failed its mostly just people scaring me that its a non serviceable transmission. $8k if problems. ive even seen some of it on this forum. mostly the people that are happy with what they have and are opposed to new technology. similar to old guys who hate fuel injection, they think carbs are the way to go. also there is the issue that the CVT will not allow the car to back over a curb, but if you go at an angle so both wheels don't hit at the same time its not an issue.

PoManzAWD 12-28-2012 09:54 AM

I hear you, but I'm not sure serviceability is going to be an issue with these CVTs. They've got easily accessible drain and fill plugs. If you were to do a fluid change on them, you add back in, what you took out (cold), just like any dipstick-less AT.

Problem is, they haven't been around long enough for anyone to post any service on them. In another year or two, If I can get my hands on some super special Aisin chain-drive CVT magical juice for a decent price, I'll do a drain/fill on mine.

They also have a conventional, removable bottom pan, which may or may not have a filter above it. Time will tell. Hopefully someone will post their experiences as time goes on.

Subaru sure has committed to them. It won't be long before all their ATs are CVT. I'd like to think SOA is very confident with their longevity.

I'll take a CVT any day over a super annoying 6-8sp automatic. Those aren't any cheaper to replace either. There's no fixing them anymore. It's a swap out.

Joel

Rutchard 12-28-2012 10:43 AM

Whew, thank goodness I got the 6MT. If I couldn't back over curbs on a daily basis, life would suck.

PoManzAWD 12-28-2012 12:17 PM

Life before CVT.....

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...stuck-muck.jpg

bradze 12-28-2012 09:35 PM

you can back over curbs on a daily basis with a cvt, you just have to remember to turn the steering wheel slightly. but why would anyone try doing something like that in a legacy? also, its only an issue on some cvt cars, other cvts will never have that issue. but its not really an issue, just another "what the hell subaru?" moment. i have taken my outback to several ORV parks where other "trucks" have issues and i'm certainly not the only one who's not afraid to actually use it.

TheOneDoubleN 12-31-2012 12:22 PM

Honestly it's probably better to look at upgrading to an outback 3.6r than plan on spending the money to replace your tranny if you're so worried about the CVT.

FWIW I wouldn't get a CVT at this point either. Maybe in a few more years when they're a bit better I'd consider it, but I'll still take gears thanks.

bradze 12-31-2012 01:46 PM

im very very happy with my car for now. you're 100% right if i would do this anytime soon. who knows maybe the transmission will last as long as the engine. by that point the car will be worth absolutely nothing

TheOneDoubleN 12-31-2012 07:34 PM

The cost of your CVT, brand new and installed in your outback, will probably exceed the blue book of your car by the time the transmission actually fails, if it even does (which there is nearly zero evidence for such a theory anyway with regards to a subaru cvt).

hmmrdwn 12-31-2012 08:23 PM

I wanted to install a manual tranny in one of my first cars until I figured out all the costs and complicated logistics. Even switching from a cvt to a geared auto would be complicated.