Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Boost leak or wastegate problem? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198476)

scoobie_Bspec 12-22-2012 01:26 AM

Boost leak or wastegate problem?

My car is an 08 lgt spec.B I also like to inform that m no expert around a motor and new with my baby. Baby is also modified with:
STI block (11k miles @ 94k install)
99.5mm Wiseco pistons
Eagle Connecting rods
Nitrided Subaru crank
New 2011 STI Main/rod bearings
STi 11mm oil pump
Moroso oil pickup
BNR HTA68 Turbo
Subtle solutions alternator cover
Gates racing Timing belt
Custom stainless oil line setup w/ FP inline filter for turbo
Deatschwerks 850cc injectors
Racer-x FMIC
Forge recirc BPV
TGV Delete
Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS
SPT Short Ram Intake
SPT Turbo Heat Shield
SPT Battery hold down
Invidia Quad Tip Catback
Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
Perrin Catless Divorced Wastegate Downpipe
Group N Engine Mounts
NGK One Step Colder Iridium Spark Plugs LFR7AIX
ACT Streetlite Flywheel
FMS Uppipe
Secondary air delete
Wrinkle red Valve covers
S2 Industries air/oil separator
AEM 1 gal. water/methanol injection/aem filter

Som of you guys have message me when i first join, now i have a small problem and is I am loosing Boost. Like when I'm giving it gas the boost gage goes from 0-20psi but it suddenly drops to 10. i have talk some people and i hear that it can be a leak or it can be my waste gate. Im no sure exactly what it could be since i dont have an external waste gate and i was advise i should get one. i hope i can get some good information from you guys nd have this problem fix asp!:confused::spin:

fahr_side 12-22-2012 03:18 AM

Usually if it will build boost but then suddenly fall back, it's a leak in the pressurized piping. Check your FMIC install is tight.

wurkenman 12-22-2012 04:54 AM

Welcome to the site.

DeltaNu1142 12-22-2012 07:15 AM

I think it's the SPT battery hold down.

charlie_sheen 12-22-2012 07:59 AM

i disagree, all signs lead me to believe its the wrinkle red valve covers.

scoobie_Bspec 12-22-2012 08:13 AM

thank you fahr_side, oh and i said I'm no expert,i never said im an idiot around cars, so of you guys who has to waste you time writing on this post something stupid, thank you for you pointless waste of time. For my understanding that is a symptom of jealousy but WE i don't care, some did help me out with my real problem.

Ok so i don't need a new external waste gate or a BOV and should i have a boost controller?

charlie_sheen 12-22-2012 08:42 AM

you need a dictionary, spellcheck, and to make sure you proof-read before you hit the post button.

Daniels 12-22-2012 09:56 AM

The problems begin, i never saw this coming....

monkeyposeur 12-22-2012 10:05 AM

I would get a boost leak test done at a good tuning shop. I just built one out of PVC connections and some high pressure hose. It connects to my bicycle pump. :) I haven't tried it out yet. I'll get the pressre up and listen for leaks, as well as spray soapy water on the connections. If I see bubbles I know where the leak is.

If your car is like my SS, you should already have a boost control solenoid so you don't need to install another boost controller. You could install a manual boost controller but you have to be careful and not up the boost too much and blow up your engine.

06specb366 12-22-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 4215870)
I would get a boost leak test done at a good tuning shop. I just built one out of PVC connections and some high pressure hose. It connects to my bicycle pump. :) I haven't tried it out yet. I'll get the pressre up and listen for leaks, as well as spray soapy water on the connections. If I see bubbles I know where the leak is.

If your car is like my SS, you should already have a boost control solenoid so you don't need to install another boost controller. You could install a manual boost controller but you have to be careful and not up the boost too much and blow up your engine.

well said, if you have an ebcs, the computer will control boost for you. Bad things happen if your not sure about what your doing, and judging by mod list the car should have been tuned when you got it. Sounds like a boost leak to me.

PeterJMC 12-22-2012 10:13 PM

Welcome to the forum!

06specb366 12-23-2012 07:33 AM

Btw.... Bring the car by AJW performance. They just moved to Bow, NH. Not sure how far that is from you, but they're a great group of guys and should be able to get you headed in the right direction

Nrw 12-23-2012 09:24 AM

Boost leak somewhere.

scoobie_Bspec 12-23-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06specb366 (Post 4215920)
well said, if you have an ebcs, the computer will control boost for you. Bad things happen if your not sure about what your doing, and judging by mod list the car should have been tuned when you got it. Sounds like a boost leak to me.

Yes thank you for your help very much, I have dealt with them in the past and with Scotty, they aren't far at all. I actually upgraded my suspicion from them, they are great people, i would recommend them to any one! All of you guys that said it was leak are right, it is because of the FMIC, I have decided to get rid of the FMIC and get the PERRING TMIC and have less lag. Also i will add the CF R-Rev Extended Hood Scoop Replacement.

My question to you guys is if getting the up pipe,dp, and inlet tube for better airflow and better supporting parts for the built car? I was also thinking of getting an external WG and a BOV, but i very concern about the recirc BOV since i have read that These cars do not like them.

thank you all again for the welcome!:)

Nrw 12-23-2012 04:51 PM

Recirc>atmospheric. That forge bpv is one of the best for these cars.

fmic>tmic, especially the heatsink of a perrin.

Your car has an aftermarket downpipe on it, unless Eric for some reason put a stock one back on when he sold the car, doubtful. Your not going to see much flow difference between uppipes, 08's are already catless.