Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Startup turbo squeel (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198389)

wiscogtlimited 12-20-2012 07:16 AM

Startup turbo squeel

So I have yet another issue with my 05 LGT 5MT that started yesterday. When I started the car (35 degrees F) yesterday, I got a sound that seemed to be a noisy belt so I popped the hood. Scarry thing is that the sound was coming from the turbo area of the engine. Like I said, it didnt sound like a grinding noise but more of a belt squeel noise. It lasted for a minute or so and went away when the car warmed up a bit. I checked for excessive exhaust smoke and everything was normal. Car drove great and pulled fine as usual. There were no adverse sounds, squeeks or squeels for the rest of the day after multiple startups (from cold). I went to start my car again this morning and had the same noise for a minute or so and same deal.....drove and pulled just fine. I checked the oil and all is normal, mpg is fine, and engine otherwise purrs like it should. Here is the vid I shot this morning which is good for sound purposes. I am guessing it is a DP gasket leak, and I am really hoping my turbo is not toast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs8bw...ature=youtu.be

Here are the symptoms:
1) noise coming from turbo are on passenger side
2) only lasts a minute or so during first startup of day
3) no abnormal smoke from exhaust
4) car pulls and boosts fine, normal drivabilty
5) oil appears to be normal
6) idles as normal

Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Spec B 12-20-2012 07:29 AM

Could be a up-pipe to turbo leak. It will sometimes resolve itself once the engine starts to warm.

wiscogtlimited 12-20-2012 11:03 AM

Is that a common issue that is easily resolved. I am also wondering if there is an easy/moderate way to tell if that is the cause? I was thinking I may try a propane leak test tonight....would that be a good 1st step or a stupid/dumb@ss thing to do? I am not a mechanic, but I want to do what I can from home before I take it to a stealership. Thanks.

Spec B 12-20-2012 12:04 PM

Leaks are more common when you are running an aftermarket Up/I have not heard of a lot of issues with the stock up pipe.

You can look for soot/carbon build-up on turbo/up connection or the up/exhaust manifold connection...not sure if there is an easier/better way.

bluesuby 12-20-2012 01:04 PM

Wasn't there another thread on this subject which claimed the noise was coming from the starter?

wiscogtlimited 12-21-2012 07:01 AM

There was and I contributed to that discussion as my starter is/was intermittently making the starter grind as well. Its funny, the starter has been quiet all week, but the turbo is making noise now. This morning no noise from either. I think it may just be my car telling me it loves me.:lol:

The noise I was experiencing was definitely not the starter and originated near or on the turbo. I am not so worried as the car runs awesome (minus my balled tires and the snow we got yesterday). I also forgot to mention in my original post that I have a stage 1 tune on my car, but I doubt that would not matter other than the turbo working a little harder with the extra boost. I am leaning towards the gasket diagnosis. I am going to get under the car tomorrow and see if I can notice any visual evidence of blown gaskets anywhere.

spooln30 12-22-2012 02:49 AM

From that vid it sounds like you have some valvetrain noise. I wouldn't think the turbo would make a "squealing" noise but to check the turbo pull the intake pipe off the turbo when the engine is cold and spin the impeller and also check if the shaft has front to back play and radial play. If it's tight spinning it or the shaft has play then its turbo time.

spooln30 12-22-2012 02:50 AM

Also to see if you have any exhaust leaks just look for any black carbon around the flanges. That's the sign of leakage. GL.

wiscogtlimited 12-23-2012 07:28 AM

I listened to the vid again and I see where you got the valve diagnosis. I think that valves are fine, but understand how you would think that they werent based on the sound. I am getting so F-ING frustrated with this damn car. There always seems to be something squeaking or rattling under the hood. This particular sound goes away after a few minutes and the car drives fine. It just makes me sick when it is really cold out and I hear this f-ing noise coming from the damn turbo......damn it!!!!!!

iNVAR 12-23-2012 09:10 AM

A small UP leak will sound like a loud squeal when you produce boost and will often times go away when the exhaust gets hot and the leak seals itself up. If it's making the squealing noise even when off boost, then it's probably not the UP leaking.

spooln30 12-24-2012 02:09 AM

Yeah I was just going to say if the noise goes away when the engine gets warm its probably just a simple exhaust gasket leak. Like I said just look for the black carbon around the flanges and replace that gasket or gaskets. You have to understand, turbocharged cars can be finicky due to the heat they produce. So small things like exhaust gaskets or hoses are simple fixes. Just keep everything in order and she will be good to you.