Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   turbo/exhaust upgrade (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198346)

thisheregirafFe 12-19-2012 12:05 PM

turbo/exhaust upgrade

hey all, first off sorry if this is in the wrong forum so mods please move if i've donkeyed up.

so i've collected a catless up upipe, a vf52 turbo, and a will soon have a new dp. aside from a tune, is there anything thing else i must have to support these mods? i'm not looking to squeeze every bit of hp/torque i possibly can, i just want a reliable daily with a bit more oomph.

also, i'm doing the rear sway before any of the power mods go in so yeah. thank you very kindly for any input!

Cone_Killer 12-19-2012 12:28 PM

Depending on your tune, you may look into an aftermarket intercooler option. I recommend this for the "reliable daily" part.

thisheregirafFe 12-19-2012 12:33 PM

right! i was thinking of going with the 'bullet proof' mod but am certainly open to an upgrade if it can be done relatively cost effectively. thanks for your input!

SpecBlitzed 12-19-2012 12:45 PM

Supposedly the factory ic can hold 19 psi. I am tuned there now car still running strong. But that VF52. I would upgrade

Nrw 12-19-2012 12:48 PM

At the bare minimum BP mod the stock intercooler.

An aftermarket intercooler would be nice, so wouldn't a EBCS (I like grimmspeeds), BPV (I like forge for this), and a upgraded fuel pump (dw65c).

BarManBean 12-19-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nrw (Post 4211769)
At the bare minimum BP mod the stock intercooler.

An aftermarket intercooler would be nice, so wouldn't a EBCS (I like grimmspeeds), BPV (I like forge for this), and a upgraded fuel pump (dw65c).

This. And here's my $.02 on making the choice--MAKE the choice, don't let something break and get backed into a corner. Either BP your stock intercooler now for $90 or pick up a reasonably priced aftermarket option from the forum (usually $400-500). If you blow you endtanks and have to buy something new it's gonna run you $650 or more plus the PITA of not having a working vehicle until you are able to get the part in.

EDIT: I'm obviously biased here, but I honestly try not to tell people what decision to make for their own needs and their own car. I will definitely agree with others though that if it is in your budget you should think seriously about upgrading the stock intercooler in one way or another.

thisheregirafFe 12-19-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarManBean (Post 4211790)
This. And here's my $.02 on making the choice--MAKE the choice, don't let something break and get backed into a corner. Either BP your stock intercooler now for $90 or pick up a reasonably priced aftermarket option from the forum (usually $400-500). If you blow you endtanks and have to buy something new it's gonna run you $650 or more plus the PITA of not having a working vehicle until you are able to get the part in.

EDIT: I'm obviously biased here, but I honestly try not to tell people what decision to make for their own needs and their own car. I will definitely agree with others though that if it is in your budget you should think seriously about upgrading the stock intercooler in one way or another.

yeah the intercooler was on my mind. i don't typically drive the car that hard, but always better safe. how much of a hassle is it to bp the intercooler? keep in mind i have a fairly small selection of tools and am by no means an expert wrench turner...

BarManBean 12-19-2012 01:25 PM

You need a rubber/wooden mallet (or a regular hammer with some scrap wood blocks) and the courage to bang the rails onto the TMIC--that's about it. You'll need a CV boot banding tool as well to tighten the zip ties and a hand file to prep (not always needed).

thisheregirafFe 12-19-2012 01:53 PM

that much i can do, thanks!

ragman 12-19-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpecBlitzed (Post 4211763)
Supposedly the factory ic can hold 19 psi. I am tuned there now car still running strong. But that VF52. I would upgrade

I'd say more like 17psi is the max on a stock IC.

thisheregirafFe 12-19-2012 05:03 PM

just remembered, am i going to need to upgrade the oil line to the turbo, or can i get by with removing the banjo bolt on stock?

ripemeat 12-21-2012 06:12 AM

clean banjo filter. thats it.

shralp 12-23-2012 10:01 AM

I know you aren't going to push that hard as you say, but a VF-52 car sure is fun if you decide to drop in an upgraded fuel pump and injectors along with a beefed OEM intercooler or aftermarket one. Just sayin! :)

PhaRaoN 01-07-2013 02:55 PM

Think is the right thread.

Are there any advantages of changing exhaust headers to aftermarket ones (invidia, etc..) on 08" LGT, when turbo is stock? (DP and catback are changed to aftermarket)

Berzerklo 01-07-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaRaoN (Post 4234816)
Think is the right thread.

Are there any advantages of changing exhaust headers to aftermarket ones (invidia, etc..) on 08" LGT, when turbo is stock? (DP and catback are changed to aftermarket)

Not if you plan on keeping the turbo stock, or stockish (VF52, BNR 16G).