Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Dealer Recall-Flashing the ECU (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198273)

EdC 12-18-2012 06:05 AM

Dealer Recall-Flashing the ECU

Sorry for the double post. I have a 2012 GT which has been recalled for a re-flashing of the ECU. The email states that performance is not affected, just adjusts for proper coolant temperature read out. I have the Cobb program installed. Any thoughts on what I should do?

EdC

pfoyle 12-18-2012 06:17 AM

Unmarry AP, take it in for the recall, remarry AP in dealership parking lot after work is completed... no big deal. :lol:

dgoodhue 12-18-2012 07:07 AM

I wouldn't go out way to have the ecu reflashed if I was in your shoes. It is a waste of time. Your Cobb programming isn't going to be updated.

GTEASER 12-18-2012 09:23 AM

I would take care of it as pfoyle has recommended. Chances are that you are going to have the car in to the dealer at some point for something simple like having a bulb replaced under warranty and the service manager is going to see that you haven't done the re-flash, they will take it upon themselves to address that, and then you'll have a warranty issue when they catch your Cobb tune on the car. Just take care of it and never worry again. And always un-marry the AP when you go to the dealer for service.

TheOneDoubleN 12-18-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgoodhue (Post 4209351)
I wouldn't go out way to have the ecu reflashed if I was in your shoes. It is a waste of time. Your Cobb programming isn't going to be updated.

It's emissions related, meaning you can't register your car with the DMV when it comes due if you don't get the reflash, depending on what state you live in. Follow pfoyle's advice, not a big deal.

EdC 12-19-2012 06:01 AM

Dealer Recall-Flashing the ECU

Thanks for the response. I will unmarry the AP, have the work done and remarry.

EdC

nstg8r 12-19-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOneDoubleN (Post 4209587)
It's emissions related, meaning you can't register your car with the DMV when it comes due if you don't get the reflash, depending on what state you live in. Follow pfoyle's advice, not a big deal.

Do you mean registration or inspection? I wouldn't consider this recall emissions related, but if it were the only place I know about that wouldn't let you register it is California.

TheOneDoubleN 12-19-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstg8r (Post 4211164)
Do you mean registration or inspection? I wouldn't consider this recall emissions related, but if it were the only place I know about that wouldn't let you register it is California.

I mean what I said, registration. The DMV is not in the business of inspecting cars for road compliance, that's the CHP's job. The literature of the recall specifically states it's emissions related, regardless of what you consider it to be.

I live in CA, and I just completed this, so I'm pretty sure I know first hand.

GTEASER 12-19-2012 09:56 AM

^Yep. Got my notice via email yesterday. Going to take care of it next week while I am off work. Don't want to mess with CARB (California Air Resources Board) on emissions stuff. Just get her done and it will show in their records that the car complies with factory emissions.

nstg8r 12-19-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOneDoubleN (Post 4211294)
I mean what I said, registration. The DMV is not in the business of inspecting cars for road compliance, that's the CHP's job. The literature of the recall specifically states it's emissions related, regardless of what you consider it to be.

I live in CA, and I just completed this, so I'm pretty sure I know first hand.

So, what you're telling me is California DMV can prevent you from re-registering your car because of a recall you may or may not have been notified about yet considering how Subaru "rolled' out their recall notices?

Besides, the OP and I don't live in California. Neither does dgoodhue who you were originally replying to. The only thing we need here in NY/PA/MA to be registered is current proof of insurance/inspection. In NY at least, if the car is less than 2 model years old, it doesn't even need to pass an emissions inspection. Even then, the only thing they'd check with the ECU is if there was any trouble codes, not for updated software.

The only time I know of when a vehicle recall has to be taken care of before inspection/registration is if it's a safety related recall like air bags, brakes, tires, etc. And even then, the NHTSA has to notify DMV. This particular recall isn't even listed on the NHTSA's website.

TheOneDoubleN 12-19-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstg8r (Post 4211688)
So, what you're telling me is California DMV can prevent you from re-registering your car because of a recall you may or may not have been notified about yet considering how Subaru "rolled' out their recall notices?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. This isn't my decree, this is DMV rules, argue with it all you want, I have little interest in arguiring with you about simple fact.

Quote:

Besides, the OP and I don't live in California. Neither does dgoodhue who you were originally replying to.

Perhaps I was trying to help others on this forum that might be confused by your misinformation. I can't speak for DMV regulations in other states, which is why I said what occurs here in CA. Believe it or not, people affected by this recall, and on this forum, live in CA.

Quote:

The only time I know of when a vehicle recall has to be taken care of before inspection/registration is if it's a safety related recall like air bags, brakes, tires, etc. And even then, the NHTSA has to notify DMV. This particular recall isn't even listed on the NHTSA's website.

The recall has nothing to do with safety, as clearly stated in the notification text. There is no reason it would be listed on the NHTSA's website.

This forum serves much more people than those who start threads. Try to help others instead of just trying to create arguments. If everyone posted like you, no one would ever get good information from these forums.

For anyone interested in obtaining accurate and factual information rather than conjecture and hearsay, here is the link for the recall notification to read for yourself.

http://www.wqc39.service-campaign.com/

GTEASER 12-19-2012 02:39 PM

Here is California, as long as its a new car produced before 2003 (I think), it does not need to have its first emission inspection for the first 6 years. ie MY 2012, first smog test 2018. HaHa....6 years to run catless dp!!!!

nstg8r 12-20-2012 09:48 AM

Just got my recall notice in the mail this morning.

"CALIFORNIA REGISTERED OWNERS

The California Air Resources Board requires that emission related campaigns be completed prior to California’s vehicle registration renewal process; without this repair, you will not be able to register your vehicle during your next annual registration. Upon completion of this campaign, your California dealer will complete and provide you a “Proof of Correction Certificate.” If required, present the certificate to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (the “DMV”) when renewing your California registration as proof of campaign completion. If the DMV does not request the certificate, we recommend that you keep it for your records.

In addition, the State of California requires that every vehicle must pass an emission test (SMOG Check) every two years and before it is sold. Without the service we are providing at no charge, your vehicle may not pass this test."

GTEASER 12-20-2012 10:22 AM

^^Thanks nstg8r. Hadn't completely read my notice but I'm sure it was there. The "every two years" is after the initial 6 years for new cars produced after 2003. My wife's 2007 3-series will be having its first smog inspection this coming February.

On a side note, because I bought my car from a dealer in Oregon, even though it was new from SOA with a certificate of origin, and because California of course has no records of dealers outside of California, I was required to pass a smog inspection in order to register it in California. I guess to make sure that it had all emissions equipment required in California and to make sure there was no funny business going on.

The guy at the inspection station was baffled that the state was requiring a smog inspection on a brand new car and said he had never performed an inspection on a car with only 1200 miles on it ever before. LOL

Kastley85891 12-20-2012 03:01 PM

I sat in the dealer workshop with my laptop once, they performed a factory ref lash, I immediately hooked up and re flashed to my own mapping - We didnt even fire the car up after there reflash (It would not have started anyways ;-) )
They were cool, satisfied their records.

I drove off with my re call complete LOL