Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Just a boost leak? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198246)

LegacyDan 12-17-2012 04:18 PM

Just a boost leak?

I have a weird noise now when on full boost, it only happened since i fitted the heatshield on the kstech intake, to do this i removed intake and the pipe going onto turbo, i also loosened off actuator bracket o refit my turbo blanket, now all back together and all connections seem super tight and i get this whistling noise on full boost. Boost is solid and consistent too.

so its could be either:
Leak in fmic pipework somewhere
Problem with actuator
stock bov final is busted and leaking

http://youtu.be/6Vl2i5zJCGA

Answers on a post card, im hoping its just a bad join somewhere thats easy to reach and not one of the couplers on the core which would involve bumper off again!

Max Capacity 12-18-2012 05:55 AM

Can't see the video here at work. FWIW, with my catless up/dp and stock mid-pipe with a big gap between the Y pipe flange and mufflers flanges, my turbo got realy loud under boost.

But that's out the back end, you only messed with the front end of the turbo.

I would think you must have a leak somewhere.

Do a boost leak test.

LegacyDan 12-18-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4209277)
Can't see the video here at work. FWIW, with my catless up/dp and stock mid-pipe with a big gap between the Y pipe flange and mufflers flanges, my turbo got realy loud under boost.

But that's out the back end, you only messed with the front end of the turbo.

I would think you must have a leak somewhere.

Do a boost leak test.

i would but my tester is gone AWOL! doubt ill get one locally this side of xmas, ill check over all the connections again, on everything i touched and see if it goes away

Max Capacity 12-18-2012 07:14 AM

I was going to put this in the last post but thought you had read the way I tested mine years ago.

Put a pint size paint can in the hose off the air filter box, tighten the clamp, pull the small hose off the blow of valve, give it a short blast of air, put your thumb over the hose, listen for leaks.

That's how I found the oem tmic leaking.

A bottle or any size can that fit's in the hose would work as a plug. You must have something over there that will plug the hose.

LegacyDan 12-18-2012 08:20 AM

ya, i guess it need to go macgyver on it! Im loosening all the clamps and making sure the pipes are in far enough into the couplers and re-tightening them on at a time and going for a test drive, connection onto turbo is not the problem, onto connection onto throttle body next and BOV, hard to do this stuff when your in work!

HAMMER DOWN 12-18-2012 03:40 PM

If you got good T-clamps. I torque mine down to 7ft.lbs.(9.5Nm) to 10ft.lbs.(13.56Nm) Never had a leak over the 35000 miles (56330Km) on my FMIC (RacerX) & I hit 19psi (1.31 bar)peak boost. Had pipes on & off several time for maintenance. Never leaked or damage pipes. You can always start at 5ft.lbs(6.78Nm) & work your way to 10ft.lbs (13.56Nm)

Mike

LegacyDan 12-19-2012 02:37 PM

Had another go at fixing the leak. Last two things I tightened was the right side connection down beside the bottom of the radiator and took the perrin Turbo inlet pipe and off, cleaned the bit of of oil on end of pipe and reseated it and tightened down the clamp. Seems to have solved my problems. Now to get a hold of my tuner guy for a re-tune

leggyman17 12-24-2012 02:43 PM

how old is your turbo?

LegacyDan 12-24-2012 05:23 PM

about 30,000km on it

LegacyDan 03-03-2013 09:05 AM

so it seems i damaged the threads on one of the bolt house that hold the compressor housing onto the rest of the turbo, i must have damaged the threads when i was unclocking turbo to fit fmic. I cant torque this bolt down at all so maybe its leaking a bit under full boost giving this noise? Is it possible for me just to remove the compressor housing and get the threads on this hole fixed? If so is there any seals or gaskets you need to remove to do this?