Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Legacy Photos (2010 - 2014) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Have water in headlights, dealer said it is normal? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198119)

Ricky Bobby 12-15-2012 04:56 AM

Have water in headlights, dealer said it is normal?

I got the car 2 days ago and there is water in the headlights. Called the dealership and asked if this is normal and under the warranty. Any advice?

derp 12-15-2012 05:12 AM

Define 'water in the headlights'. Do you mean literal standing water in the lights? or just condensation on the inside of the glass?

Assuming you mean just condensation, yes, it's a fairly common occurrence, at least from what I have seen, not just subaru. The seals may not be perfect?

IceCold81 12-15-2012 05:29 AM

Condensation or actual water SCREAMS bad seal to me! my 2cents

bluesuby 12-15-2012 12:50 PM

No amount of water is acceptable. Repair under warranty!

Dujo 12-15-2012 01:25 PM

It may be common, but it is not acceptable for a brand new car. It is not part of the design and is a defect in the construction of the lights. They should be water tight sealed from the factory. Push at the dealer if you have to. Try to get a few photos as evidence since chances are good they will not have water when you want to bring it to show them. They better be bending over backwards to help you out. Dealerships don't really make much money on selling cars. They make money in the shop. This is their prime opportunity to convince you that you need to come back to them for all your service needs. If they make too much of a hassle, take your future business elsewhere.

Welcome to LGT.com. Enjoy your Legacy. I sure do love mine. ;)

PeterJMC 12-15-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesuby (Post 4205330)
No amount of water is acceptable. Repair under warranty!

False, a small amount of condensation is considered acceptable. It really depends on how much water the OP is actually seeing in his headlights. Headlights are not completely sealed. All modern headlights have vents built into them to allow excessive heat to escape.

OP, Did the dealer actually see the headlights? Can you post up pics of the condensation?

Ricky Bobby 12-15-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterJMC (Post 4205384)
False, a small amount of condensation is considered acceptable. It really depends on how much water the OP is actually seeing in his headlights. Headlights are not completely sealed. All modern headlights have vents built into them to allow excessive heat to escape.

OP, Did the dealer actually see the headlights? Can you post up pics of the condensation?

The dealer did say what you said. There is a little hole to vent. I will have some pictures up when I can. Thank you guys for the help.

Kaijubei 12-26-2012 02:29 PM

Same story with me. Picked up my new 2012 LGT and after a long day on the road in slighly moist weather, I found condensation in both headlights and a fog light. =/

Ricky Bobby 12-27-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaijubei (Post 4219602)
Same story with me. Picked up my new 2012 LGT and after a long day on the road in slighly moist weather, I found condensation in both headlights and a fog light. =/

Did the dealer say it was normal?

Kaijubei 12-28-2012 10:09 PM

I haven't spoken to the dealership yet.

liljonson 01-03-2013 08:03 PM

Condensation is normal. Like said before.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Kaijubei 01-04-2013 12:51 PM

Why do i never get condensation in my wrx headlights then?

liljonson 01-04-2013 03:06 PM

Because race car

SBT 01-04-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dujo (Post 4205372)
It may be common, but it is not acceptable for a brand new car. It is not part of the design and is a defect in the construction of the lights. They should be water tight sealed from the factory. Push at the dealer if you have to. Try to get a few photos as evidence since chances are good they will not have water when you want to bring it to show them. They better be bending over backwards to help you out. Dealerships don't really make much money on selling cars. They make money in the shop. This is their prime opportunity to convince you that you need to come back to them for all your service needs. If they make too much of a hassle, take your future business elsewhere.

Welcome to LGT.com. Enjoy your Legacy. I sure do love mine. ;)

Completely agree with this. If the dealership is unwilling to fix, let them know that your next call is to Subaru Customer Care as this is unacceptable in a newly delivered car.

SBT 01-04-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liljonson (Post 4229932)
Condensation is normal. Like said before.

Coming up on 8 years with mine since new and never any condensation either in SoCal (5 years) or SoCar (3 years).