Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Christmas Tree Problem with 2010 Legacy 2.5i (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198113)

IchibahnSLC 12-15-2012 12:06 AM

Traction Control/ABS Problem with 2010 Legacy 2.5i

I'm new to the forum so let me first say it's great to join. Secondly I am having an issues with my gf's sisters Legacy. She jump started it the other day because it would not start and now the Traction control and ABS light are on solid and the Brake light is blinking. Checked for CEL and nothing. I did however just notice that when the key is on the ON position (without starting) there is a loud buzzing noise coming from what seems to be the top of the engine? I can post a video if it would help.

Anyone have any experience or advise for me?
Would take it to Subaru but it's out of warranty and my gf's sister is cheap lol

Thanks for the help in advanced.

F1inspiredLGT 12-15-2012 12:16 AM

Sounds like a dead battery. Best to have the alternator check out too.

IchibahnSLC 12-15-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1inspiredLGT (Post 4204822)
Sounds like a dead battery. Best to have the alternator check out too.

I thought the same at first. I charged the battery and drove it around for a bit. Went and had the battery, starting, and charging system checked at Autozone and it checked out fine.

F1inspiredLGT 12-15-2012 12:38 AM

If that checks out ok, then I would check all the connections to make sure they're clean with no corrosion (battery, starter, alternator). If you still have the problem, try adding another grounding cable close to the starter or alternator.

I had a problem in my BMW 325i where I kept blowing my alternator every month. Found out that the grounding cable to the motor was bad, causing the alternator to short out. Put a new grounding cable close to the alternator and attached to the body of the car, and never had a problem after that.

If the sound doesn't go away, it could be the starter solnoid going back.

IchibahnSLC 12-15-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1inspiredLGT (Post 4204833)
If that checks out ok, then I would check all the connections to make sure they're clean with no corrosion (battery, starter, alternator). If you still have the problem, try adding another grounding cable close to the starter or alternator.

I had a problem in my BMW 325i where I kept blowing my alternator every month. Found out that the grounding cable to the motor was bad, causing the alternator to short out. Put a new grounding cable close to the alternator and attached to the body of the car, and never had a problem after that.

If the sound doesn't go away, it could be the starter solnoid going back.

Ok, I'll have to go check it out and see if that fixes the problem. Any idea about the dash lights?
Thanks for the help!

IchibahnSLC 12-15-2012 01:06 AM

Here is a link to the video through Photobucket. I moved around the area where it sounded like it was coming from.

http://s258.beta.photobucket.com/use...551ec.mp4.html

Jace2010LGT 12-15-2012 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Open the hood and have someone turn the key while you put your hand on the abs actuator/ skid control ecu. I strongly suspect the actuator is performing a system check and is failing. If this is your issue get to a dealer ASAP. Could be a fuse for it but usually it is a blown actuator. I have attached a picture of said actuator. Hope this helps and good luck. Btw it's the part with all the metal brake lines going in and out of it.

laz 12-15-2012 10:20 AM

2010? Still under warranty. Go use it.

X

IchibahnSLC 12-15-2012 11:18 AM

Would it still be covered on the 5year/60k warranty? Because the car is higher mileage. It has 53k on it. I will have to do that ABS check. Strange if it did fail because it did have that recall done where they replaced the unit. At least according to the records that Subaru has.

Also isn't it weird that this started after she jumped the car?

IchibahnSLC 12-19-2012 04:01 PM

Slight update: Have been trying to self diagnose the problem. Looking at the wheels none of the sensors are loose. No ABS kicking on or anything in the snow. Will be taking off tires and sensors to check them visually.

Tried to enter ABS self diagnosis mode using the button/switch combinations used by the 2005-09 legacy and got -- on the display.

Can anyone else check what they get when they do that please? Much appreciated.

Here is the link to the procedure http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...es-171935.html

canadianelbow 12-21-2012 01:52 PM

In reading the title, I assumed some kind of a Kramer moment of not being able to stuff a Christmas tree into the back seat or something. I was all excited, and clicked the title, hoping to find some glorious pictures of a oversized tree in the seats, through the trunk, and/or strapped to the roof.

How disappointing it was to see a regular thread, and a boring problem.

Merry Christmas to all.

Jay12Legacy 12-21-2012 02:34 PM

Did some one try to jump backwards I would check all fuses
Jay

IchibahnSLC 12-21-2012 03:45 PM

Sorry lol. I meant to put christmas lights in the title because it lit up like a Christmas tree, but it was early in the morning and I did not double check the title.

Car was jumped correctly according to her and I checked all the fuses. I'm going to see if there may be a blown relay or something. I have the FSM so it's hopefully going to be easy. Still waiting for her to get back. Not going to do anything drastic but am going to try a few things.

laz 12-21-2012 03:48 PM

Correct battery jumping means putting the negative clip on a body structure as opposed to the negative battery terminal.

X

SurlyOldManMN 12-23-2012 06:14 PM

I got that noise last night when swapping injectors. Check your grounds.