Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Help with Springs: RCE or Swift? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198085)

GTEASER 12-14-2012 12:16 PM

Help with Springs: RCE or Swift?

So basically I am trying to decide between Swift's and RCE's.

BigBopper's car looks great on the RCE's with a little more tire side wall to fill the wheel wells thanks to 50 series tires, but 245/45's on wider 18's would essentially do the same, but I would like to hear more...
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...wering+springs

And Blklgt05's car looks great on the Swifts with the 19's, I do like the look of the Swifts being slightly lower than the RCE's, but don't have cash to drop into 19" wheels, as I think they are aesthetically necessary when the car is lower.
http://legacygt.com/forums/album.php?albumid=958

I have re-read all of the 5th Gen suspension threads including TheOneDoubleN's RCE review and everything posted about Swifts, as well as noted who is running what and looking at a lot of pictures. I am still needing help.

And I want to hear about handling only. I can visually see the differences as the Swifts are about 1/4 to 1/2" lower, so I don't need input on that.

Has anyone driven a 5th Gen with RCE's and a 5th Gen with Swift's and have any comparison they want to share?

Short of full coilovers (which I do not have the cash for right now but will definately do in the future), I believe that the stiffest springs I can get will likely be the option I will enjoy the best for my driving style and situation (20 miles of twisty canyon roads commuted daily), but I have no way of comparing the feel and/or stiffness throughout the suspension travel. RCE's are a progressive design, and Swift's are linear.

Secondary is the aesthetics. While I do want my car maybe a little lower than the RCE's provide for, I would rather not be lower if I will not be happy with the handling thinking that I may have left something on the table for the money I spent.

Anyway, I am interested to hear the thoughts of the forum. Thanks in advance.

acumenhokie 12-14-2012 01:26 PM

Not what you want to hear but if you are "definitely getting coils in the future", I'd say just save your money on springs and put it towards buying the coils sooner. Or you could convince yourself it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and buy the 'new in box' coils someone has listed in the FS section. :)

SurlyOldManMN 12-14-2012 01:49 PM

The swifts are transformative to the handling. However, they are a poor match for the stock struts/shocks. Mine also settled pretty low, which means less travel, which means less ideal handling on loose surfaces as well as potential clearance issues on low maint roads.

Overall I like my swifts an awful lot but would be happier with less drop so they were more versatile. In CA I think you'll dig them, just plan on jumping on those bilsteins when/if they become available.

wrxwhit 12-14-2012 02:12 PM

Quick and simple, I had Swifts and only after a couple thousand miles, I had to remove them due to the struts seriously becoming compromised by the stress of the drop. I went coils and am satisfied. If these are your only choices at this time, then RCE's should be your choice due to less drop and less compromise on the struts for the time being until you replace the horrible stockers. Oh, and coils completely eliminated highway sway where the Swifts and rear sway had little effect. I blame the stock struts for this 1,000%.

GTEASER 12-14-2012 02:30 PM

Acumen: Future meaning when the car has 150k on it, kids are done with college, all my other mods are pretty much done and the coilovers will be KW's going in with all the hard suspension bushing to join them. I did see the FS thread, but not gonna do Megans. Would do BC or Fortune before that.

Surly: Yes, I did notice that your car settled quite a bit and looks a lot lower. I wonder why? And hoping as well that Bilsteins or some other option will be available soon, definately.

Whit: The stock shocks do suck! No question.

Thanks guys!!

BMA44 12-14-2012 02:38 PM

BC coils FTMFW!

my struts went quick with the Eibach's. The BC's are tits for the money and take care of all of your handling concerns.

That said, being that you are on a budget, maybe go with the RCE's to make your struts last longer..

GTEASER 12-14-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMA44 (Post 4204107)
BC coils FTMFW!

The BC's are tits for the money and take care of all of your handling concerns.

I know, I know, ya, ya, ya.!!! I wish I could. Maybe I need to step back from this a little and stop being impatient. The problem is that my mod list is long, and I would really like to see a little progress checking things off the list.

wrxwhit 12-14-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMA44 (Post 4204107)
BC coils FTMFW!

my struts went quick with the Eibach's. The BC's are tits for the money and take care of all of your handling concerns.

That said, being that you are on a budget, maybe go with the RCE's to make your struts last longer..

Yes, yes, and yes, all in favor of BC's, say I. I,I,I,I. I'm sure there are a few more who will agree for under a G.

blklgt05 12-14-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTEASER (Post 4204122)
I know, I know, ya, ya, ya.!!! I wish I could. Maybe I need to step back from this a little and stop being impatient. The problem is that my mod list is long, and I would really like to see a little progress checking things off the list.

I feel you man, I got TMIC+tune, F/R BBK, BC coilovers+swifts+rear LCA next on my mod list, its like a down payment for a new car. :lol:

I'm the first person with Swifts installed by Swifts, the dampers are working just fine. One thing I'll add is that if you lower your car, you should get Whiteline's roll center kit installed to push the arms back down so the dampers can do its job.

blklgt05 12-14-2012 03:29 PM

If you plan on getting coilovers, forget the springs and just save up for it. Mod is a hobby, there's no hurry to do everything at once. I'd rather save up and do everything right the first time.

Gborja888 12-14-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blklgt05 (Post 4204198)
If you plan on getting coilovers, forget the springs and just save up for it. Mod is a hobby, there's no hurry to do everything at once. I'd rather save up and do everything right the first time.

+1. I agree with blklgt 100%, it happened to me couple of times, being impatient coupled with wanted to save some cash, ended up having to spend more.

blklgt05 12-14-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gborja888 (Post 4204250)
+1. I agree with blklgt 100%, it happened to me couple of times, being impatient coupled with wanted to save some cash, ended up having to spend more.

That's what I did with my 4gen LGT. I ended up getting a set of tophats, 2 sets of springs, a set of shitty coilovers and a set of bilstein dampers instead of just one good set of coilovers to begin with. :lol:

GTEASER 12-14-2012 04:23 PM

A couple questions about coilovers guys...

Are you running the camber plates that came with them or the OEM top hats?

And ride quality with the camber plates?

What about inverted shock coilovers like BC RAM's? Worth the extra 100 bills?

SurlyOldManMN 12-14-2012 04:39 PM

Inverted shocks strike me as a bad idea in the long run. How do those things stay properly lubricated?

blklgt05 12-14-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTEASER (Post 4204271)
A couple questions about coilovers guys...

Are you running the camber plates that came with them or the OEM top hats?

And ride quality with the camber plates?

What about inverted shock coilovers like BC RAM's? Worth the extra 100 bills?

I think BC's BR is the only one that's made for 10-12 Legacys. I didn't get mine yet, but from previous experience it will feel stiff. Most of the harshness will come from the springs which is why I'd get it with Swift springs. BC offers that option and I was quoted for $1190 shipped. KW's V3 should have the best ride thou if that's what you're looking for.