Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Controller question (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198063)

dahoseman 12-13-2012 11:27 PM

Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Controller question

I'm in the midst of installing a bunch of aftermarket parts onto my Outback XT that I have been collecting secondhand from wrecked cars and used parts. I went to install a Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Control solenoid that I had bought secondhand, but I couldn't figure out where it's supposed to go. According to the installation page, it's supposed to be a direct replacement for the Legacy GT (outback XT). However, I can't figure out where the stock boost controller is and where it plugs in.
Does anyone have any installation pictures or hints about what I should be replacing?

iNVAR 12-13-2012 11:57 PM

1) Do not install that EBCS unless you are putting a tune onto it immediately. You will pretty much overboost immediately even under moderate throttle.

2)

fahr_side 12-14-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iNVAR (Post 4203203)
1) Do not install that EBCS unless you are putting a tune onto it immediately.

This. You basically want to install the BCS at your tuner's place of business and/or literally right before your tune. If for some reason that's not possible, short-circuit the boost control system for the time between install and tune by connecting the wastegate actuator directly the air outlet on the compressor cover with a short length of hose.

dahoseman 12-15-2012 06:40 PM

It has an Infamous tune loaded.

The boost lines didn't quite make sense compared with the installation diagrams. I think I got it figured out. However, what happens if I have a line hooked up incorrectly?

iNVAR 12-15-2012 08:35 PM

You need to get it tuned FOR the EBCS. Your Infamous tune, if it was done on the stock boost controller, IS NO GOOD for this EBCS. Get it?

And if you have lines hooked up incorrectly, it won't work right either.

dahoseman 12-15-2012 10:38 PM

Yep, tuned for Grimmspeed EBCS. Tune isn't a problem.

I'm not sure who owned the car before me (long story), but as we rebuilt the engine, suspension, and added other components, we found that it had odd things done to the hardware and wiring throughout. My Subaru mechanic was even a little confused by the tangle of tubes as we reinstalled intake components, but it looks like we set it back to a stock configuration and then got the EBCS set up correctly.

TacitBlue 12-16-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iNVAR (Post 4203203)
1) Do not install that EBCS unless you are putting a tune onto it immediately. You will pretty much overboost immediately even under moderate throttle.

2)
GrimmSpeed Boost Control Solenoid Install 08+ WRX/LGT - YouTube

I talked to GS about a week or two ago on the phone when I ordered my replacement GS BCS (long story, but my original GS BCS was damaged by me) and they told me that they changed the bracket design.... Boy did they ever! The new bracket didn't line up with anything at all...... I finally figured out that I could swap my old bracket in for the new bracket, and one again it was a truly bolt-on affair.

The new GS bracket, just doesnt make much sense to me....

dahoseman 12-16-2012 01:06 PM

We modified the bracket also. Not quite bolt-in, but it just needs to stay in place, so it should be fine.
I'm definitely looking forward to getting everything put back together, getting the engine broken in, and actually using the car.

iNVAR 12-16-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoseman (Post 4205963)
Yep, tuned for Grimmspeed EBCS. Tune isn't a problem.

I'm not sure who owned the car before me (long story), but as we rebuilt the engine, suspension, and added other components, we found that it had odd things done to the hardware and wiring throughout. My Subaru mechanic was even a little confused by the tangle of tubes as we reinstalled intake components, but it looks like we set it back to a stock configuration and then got the EBCS set up correctly.

Excellent, I guess Infamous gave you a base map to start with on the EBCS? That's good. You should be in good hands. :)

dahoseman 12-16-2012 05:53 PM

Yep, tune should be fine. The car hasn't even had an engine in it for a while. We're just installing the aftermarket parts in anticipation of startup.

I was just curious how the lines were supposed to be hooked up because it didn't match the diagram. It looks like we ran into yet another 'janky' modification that the previous owner made. Now it's back to stock configuration of lines with an GS EBCS installed.

iNVAR 12-16-2012 06:39 PM

There are only 3 lines involved, it shouldn't be that difficult.

1 line from wastegate actuator
1 line from turbo compressor
1 line going to intake post-MAF

No pill necessary.

And you just have to figure out which port it goes to. Consult the GS manual for that.

mike6789 12-18-2012 08:13 PM

you dont HAVE to do it that way, you can set it up interrupt style instead of bleed style... compressor into one of the side ports, WG actuator into the other side port, top port vented or into post MAF intake.. now you can pulse your pressure into the actuator arm with the solenoid instead of bleeding out pressure... i like it much better this way!!

fahr_side 12-18-2012 08:57 PM

Setting one up bleed style defeats the purpose. Invar wasn't suggesting anything but interrupt style, which is laid out clearly in the install instructions.

ripemeat 12-19-2012 07:36 AM

lol