Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Clear Paint Protection vs. Car Washes (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197871)

Byll 12-11-2012 06:01 AM

Clear Paint Protection vs. Car Washes

I installed Xpel clear paint protection on my Legacy, many months ago. Are there certain types of car washes - revolving brush automatic, high pressure automatic, pressure wand style, etc., that are harmful to such coverings? Any experienced opinions and help will be appreciated.

Best.
Byll

Ellesedil 12-11-2012 06:15 AM

I'm more concerned about the exposed paint than the film, so I either wash the car myself or go to touchless car washes.

Rutchard 12-11-2012 09:57 AM

The revolving brush/softcloth washes are pretty much bad for any finish.

Magic Marker 12-14-2012 02:19 PM

I have xpel... I just avoid the places with high pressure and run mine through the touchless washes... no issues, but no car wash is good for the car in general. I plan on trading mine in within 2yrs so I kinda stopped caring.

Philberto 12-14-2012 05:51 PM

I have xpel on both my Outback and GT. I've subjected the Outback to car washes over the last couple of years while the GT is always hand washed. I can honestly say that the xpel on the GT is shinier than the xpel on the Outback. I now hand wash both cars.

jr105 12-16-2012 10:30 AM

I stopped going to revolving brush car washes many years ago after I saw a piece of loose trim from a car, caught in the brush, put multiple scratches in 2 cars (not mine) before the operator could stop it.

hmmrdwn 12-16-2012 10:42 AM

The touchless car washes don't get all the road grime off either. I stay away from rotating or hanging car washes. They are hard on the finish.

Byll 12-16-2012 11:36 AM

What I am hearing is that no professional car wash should be used. Some do not clean the car, and some cause varying severity destruction. And yet, the home bucket brigade can be a tad tiresome, in winter temperatures. Plus, I - and others - have Xpel or other like products in the mix...

Solution?

Best.
Byll

Ellesedil 12-16-2012 02:02 PM

I implied this in my initial response, so I'll clarify now: the Xpel/3M film is probably the last thing you need to worry about when washing your vehicle. The whole purpose of it is to sacrifice itself for the good of your car's finish. But, since you seem overly concerned about the film, might I suggest doing some research on care tips for your Xpel paint protection.

Since protecting the finish is the priority, this is why everyone is only recommending two options: wash it yourself or go touchless. One you can control to the most minute detail, but requires some effort. The other solves the effort problem, but is more expensive and less thorough.

During the winter months, the primary goal is to remove road salt from the vehicle. A touchless carwash should be capable for removing most of the salt (the one near my work even takes care of the undercarriage). But the best option will be indeed to wash the car yourself, hopefully on a day where the temperature is tolerable.

hmmrdwn 12-16-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellesedil (Post 4206637)
I implied this in my initial response, so I'll clarify now: the Xpel/3M film is probably the last thing you need to worry about when washing your vehicle. The whole purpose of it is to sacrifice itself for the good of your car's finish. But, since you seem overly concerned about the film, might I suggest doing some research on care tips for your Xpel paint protection.

Since protecting the finish is the priority, this is why everyone is only recommending two options: wash it yourself or go touchless. One you can control to the most minute detail, but requires some effort. The other solves the effort problem, but is more expensive and less thorough.

During the winter months, the primary goal is to remove road salt from the vehicle. A touchless carwash should be capable for removing most of the salt (the one near my work even takes care of the undercarriage). But the best option will be indeed to wash the car yourself, hopefully on a day where the temperature is tolerable.

Yep Byll, this is right. I've got a 30 x 30 heated garage and can wash inside. The rest of the time I go to the touchless and use the undercarriage. Some times I take a small bucket/towel and go to the spray car wash when it isn't busy.

islandborn 12-18-2012 08:07 AM

Most of the time I go thru a touchless quicky then take it home and really clean it myself.....