Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Thinking of trading up from a 2008 Legacy to a 2011 Legacy (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197862)

PieceOfChum 12-10-2012 08:48 PM

Thinking of trading up from a 2008 Legacy to a 2011 Legacy

I am looking at replacing my 2008 Legacy 2.5i with a 2011 Legacy 2.5i CVT. I wanted to know how well the 2011 Legacy does in the snow and what kind of awd system it has when it has the CVT. I am assuming it is the same as my 2008 but the 2011 has VDC and so should simulate differentials. The car I am looking at comes with the All Weather Package also and I was wondering what that exactly comes with and if it is worth having.

Pastor_JW 12-10-2012 10:15 PM

Well, the car itself is a giant step up, but being a turbo man, the GT if you can find one is seriously more fun! People talk about GPM but mine at stage two is doing 28.8 and it is worth the what, ... 5 MPG less for an awesome street car!

hmmrdwn 12-11-2012 06:29 AM

Ive gotten 35.8 on several trips over 1000 miles with four people and luggage. The cold weather package usually includes heated seats and mirrors among other things. Some dealers put on mud flaps and floor mats with an up charge.

acumenhokie 12-11-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieceOfChum (Post 4196045)
The car I am looking at comes with the All Weather Package also and I was wondering what that exactly comes with and if it is worth having.

A list of all the packages and what's included in them can be found here:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2011.html

PieceOfChum 12-11-2012 08:43 PM

Thanks for the information I pick mine up tomorrow. Got it for 19k 2011 Legacy 2.5i Premium with AWP, Power Moonroof, CVT, black, 24,000 miles on odometer clean carfax no accidents (at least reported ones), personal purchase NOT a rental, corporate, dealer car etc... appears to be in great shape a few minor dings and such but not bad stil under warranty.

Tires had very little wear on them and rims were nearly perfect. Body panels all line up perfectly no funny stuff on the fron of the hood (funny stuff = bad paint touchup). I did notice roughing in the door but I think that might be how Subaru manufactures their cars to be honest I have seen in in other cars one that was brand new.

Checked the trunk and the original insulation spots around the tire were there no crumpling that I could see. Undercarriage of the car look clean.

Pick it up tomorrow woo hoo. I test drove it for around 40 minutes didn't feel or hear anything that seemed wrong. CVT was smooth and I thought it had good pickup for a 4 cylinder, at least good enough for me to still get in trouble if I romp on it. It definately did not handle as well as my 2008 and it was slower but not by a huge amount.

I got 11,500 for my trade which was a 2008 Legacy 2.5i SE with 28k miles on it (was in an accident, has some body imperfections). I am psyched I think I did ok all around.

craftmatic 12-11-2012 10:59 PM

I have 21K on my 2011 Legacy 2.5 Limited. Here in North Dakota winters I am absolutely IN LUV with the winter handling it provides. The smooth easy starts from a stop with the little 2.5 are perfect for non slip go from stop signs. Unless in deep snow, I can keep up with any ol' 4x4 pickup, or SUV on city streets. Much less chances of rollover in a slide, too! Make it slide a few times just for fun and test it's grip is suggested. A turbo might be fun, but I like the sure footed 2.5 with 30 plus MPG. If I want power, I'll take my Buick 455 for spin next summer! Hope you like yours as well as I do mine.

PieceOfChum 12-12-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmmrdwn (Post 4196923)
Ive gotten 35.8 on several trips over 1000 miles with four people and luggage. The cold weather package usually includes heated seats and mirrors among other things. Some dealers put on mud flaps and floor mats with an up charge.

Have you had any issues with poor ac functioning?

KSpan 12-12-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieceOfChum (Post 4198720)
Have you had any issues with poor ac functioning?

We had a pretty scorching summer last year and mine had no issues (worth noting that it's white). Window tint will help a lot, as I know it did with mine.

TwoTone 12-12-2012 05:59 AM

Not trying to put a damper on a car purchase but doesn't anyone else think 19k is high considering list is $25k and we all know you can get them new for at least 2-4% under invoice?
You should be able to get a 2013 for around $22.5k

kjcdc090385 12-12-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTone (Post 4198835)
Not trying to put a damper on a car purchase but doesn't anyone else think 19k is high considering list is $25k and we all know you can get them new for at least 2-4% under invoice?

Suprisingly no it does not seem high. I know when I was looking around, all the used ones where only a few thousand less than new. Subaru guarantee trade in value on my 11 with 20k on to odometer and a similar package is 18K.

Not saying 19K for his was a good deal or not but just saying the price is reasonable.

A lot of times you get a better trade in offer on a used one too.

acumenhokie 12-12-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTone (Post 4198835)

OP is just heading into a Massachusetts winter. From what I hear you'll pay a little more buying a Subaru in or just before winter in the north just due to the increased demand.

PieceOfChum 12-12-2012 07:12 AM

My trade was a dealer car with an accident in its car fax history with some light visible damage very light but still you can tell it was in a little minor situation. There some minor but visible flaws in the paint and normal dents in the body panels which although are normal one is particularly bad.

Also on my trade there is touchup paint all over the car a few of the seams don't line up and two of my rims have serious chips in them I mean one is pretty bad can't even get it fixed would have to replace rim the other is fixable maybe (they never commit). My trade needs new tires also has the original Yokohama with less than 5/32 tread depth new car has around 8/32 unfortunately again probably the original tires (bridgestones) of which I have heard some pretty terrible things but whatever.

Saying that my trade-in according to kbb should be around 10,800 if in perfect condition and I got 11,500 I wanted 12k.

Now the car I am buying is nearly perfect condition only a few minor normal use scrapes and a little under the front end bumper rough scratches probably from rubbing on a parking barrier but it is only like one inch of scratches. Rims are near perfect and I mean no road rash a few little nearly imperceptable scratches.

My car is out of warranty the 2011 is still in warranty.

I am not sure if the winter has much to do with it to be honest I have noticed that there are a lot of Subies up for sale lately where I live this was one of many that I considered.All the ones I looked at were listed for approx 21-23k, saying that I am sure they will take a 2k hit to sell.

This dealer actually called me since they are an Infiniti dealer and I guarantee they paid over the kbb value for the car so they are probably making around 1500 on the sale and taking a big risk with my car I am pretty sure they will lose some if they have to auction it (the car would auction no higher than 10k and then there is transportation charges for the dealer). If I were to appraise the resale value of my car (what I would pay I would not pay over 12,500 for it) and I would have made them give me new tires.

My only concern is thet they have issues trying to get me financing but that would be in my favor because I would simply make them split any difference in down payment to get the financing I WILL NOT cave since I can simply drive away no problem, So I may end up with a slightly better deal at the end of this little adventure I will keep everyone posted.

Overall I think I did well although you can always do better if I had a near perfect trade with no accidents and a personal car then I would have done 1,500 dollars better but that is not the case.

One last thing I realize I made some mistakes with my purchase of my 2008 I bought it at Clay and they seriously messed with me which is no excuse but just saying. Also I needed to learn how to inspect cars better in the past I had done a bang up job but for some reason on the Subie I missed a lot of little things for some reason I was going through a serious dark period in my life and I guess I was just kidding myself so this is a corrective action in some respects.

KSpan 12-12-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjcdc090385 (Post 4198846)
Suprisingly no it does not seem high. I know when I was looking around, all the used ones where only a few thousand less than new. Subaru guarantee trade in value on my 11 with 20k on to odometer and a similar package is 18K.

Not saying 19K for his was a good deal or not but just saying the price is reasonable.

A lot of times you get a better trade in offer on a used one too.

Agreed. Only small differences between new and used in my area too, and I watched the Legacy market in a 300 mile radius for about a year before buying.

Drogos 12-12-2012 08:00 AM

It's sold by a dealer. Of course it's in perfect condition. These are cleaned, buffed and body work repaired before they put it on the marker. You already bought it I suppose so shouldn't confuse you any longer but getting used car, doesn't matter how many miles just few grand under the price of brand, spanking new is something that I will never understand. I paid 27k for my 11 outback. 2.5i limited with every possible option minus navi and sunroof. I am sure you can get what you want for 23/24 easily. Trucar.com is your friend. The car is brand new, 13' are actually improved on every possible level. I was actually shocked when I read the list of improvements. IT's like subaru read every possible complain that ever showed up on any outback forum and implemented changes for 13'. I guess if you pay cash it makes sense but if you finance...you will get better interest on new and it will pretty much even out in monthly payments. Just my 2....

oh and make sure it was build either post the date of TSB or it was serviced for it. There was HUGE drama with vibrations at speed that subaru first pretended didn't exist, then they took forever to fix but eventually sometime in spring last year they released final TSB. New steering rack, relocation of diff. with different mounts if I rememeber correctly, new bushings etc. Massive work. Lots of outbacks with low milage on the used car lots at dealerships exactly because of those issues. go to outback forum for more info

PieceOfChum 12-12-2012 08:10 AM

I just checked against TrueCar and here are the results for the 2011 I am getting:

List on TrueCar as a great price.

https://usedcars.truecar.com/car/Sub...BMBG62B3250943

The range for that year with the options I have is

Great Price: $19,675
Market Average: $20,368
Above Market: $20,935

Here is an estimate of what my trade is worth with all the little details.

Congratulations!
Your Instant Trade-In Offer is: $10,784
for your 2008 Subaru Legacy 4dr H4 Auto 2.5L

I think they are a bit generous with this snce it needs one wheel and the tires need to be replaced but whatever.