Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Block half casting numbers mismatch? Also look at my build list (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197853)

91boostedb20 12-10-2012 05:02 PM

Look at my build list, now with engine assembly pics!!

19 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone, I'm starting the process of building an engine for my car due to a blown ring land. I have had the short block done for a while now waiting for this day. Anyway, I had it bored to 99.75mm, bought Manley 8.5:1 pistons, acl bearings, new sti takeout rods from Crawford performance, and had the rotating assembly balanced.

Also here is my build list,
EJ25 block and crank bored to 99.75mm
STI rods
Manley pistons
ACL bearings
New OEM subaru block case bolts
OEM Subaru engine gasket kit...OEM gasket kit does not come with the half moon plugs that go in the cylinder heads before installing the valve covers, luckily my local dealer had them in stock so I could finish assembling the engine. There are 4 total.
OEM Subaru 11mm oil pump
KillerB oil pickup tube and windage tray
Tranquil sleeve kit
ACT clutch w/ACT light flywheel
Gates racing timing belt w/water pump and all idlers
Tomioka timing belt guide
Mishimoto silicone rad hoses
Grimmspeed exhaust gaskets
ARP head studs
I will use the heads on my engine now, they will go to the machine shop to be cleaned, resurfaced.....heads were resurfaced and cleaned, I removed all valves and cleaned them, also installed new valve seals and hand lapped exhaust valves, also had to order 2 new buckets to get the exhaust valves in cylinder 2 back into spec.

Here are some pics I took along the way, I got all the charge pipes installed today and did a boost leak test with no leaks. Primed the engine with oil and fired it up. Engine sounds great, a lot quieter than the old one I just took out, no smoke or anything. I didnt drive it yet, just warmed it up for about 20 minutes to check for leaks and what not. We got about 6-8 inches of snow today so whenever the roads clear off I will break it in.

Drew888 12-11-2012 04:21 PM

Newest are 704's and no one else can make out the difference either so I wouldn't worry about it.

Shim that 11mm oil pump and adjust your oil weight so you are sure to be well above 65 psi at higher rpm. Search Nabisco for expected pressures.

The rest looks fine.

91boostedb20 12-11-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew888 (Post 4198012)
Newest are 704's and no one else can make out the difference either so I wouldn't worry about it.

Shim that 11mm oil pump and adjust your oil weight so you are sure to be well above 65 psi at higher rpm. Search Nabisco for expected pressures.

The rest looks fine.

Thanks, I think it is ok, I looked at it again today and the block halves line up perfectly. Do you think I will need to shim the pump, right now my stock LGT pump puts out around 80psi anywhere over about 2500 rpms. I know the bearing clearances will be bigger on this engine though so I will look into that.

2manysubies 12-12-2012 05:25 AM

Subscribe. Someone tell me how/why a new oil pump has to be shimmed. Where? are we talking gear to cover clearance?? IDK but would like this info.

Thanks in advance.
Mac

GTTuner 12-12-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manysubies (Post 4198817)
Subscribe. Someone tell me how/why a new oil pump has to be shimmed. Where? are we talking gear to cover clearance?? IDK but would like this info.

Thanks in advance.
Mac

I believe he is referring to shimming the pressure relief valve spring to open at a higher pressure.

Drew888 12-14-2012 10:54 AM

Correct...

Read through this

Equally important is this article.

91boostedb20 12-26-2012 06:37 PM

update, added pics of the build to first post

ripemeat 12-27-2012 08:56 AM

where are your fender liners, lol

rad.rac3r 12-27-2012 11:13 AM

nice workshop

91boostedb20 12-27-2012 05:01 PM

Thanks, it's my parents garage. my dad has been a mechanic all his life, now I am haha

rad.rac3r 12-28-2012 07:00 AM

good deal. wish i was nearby. would have saved me some fingers working in the cold!