Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Second Generation Legacy (1994 - 1998) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   So if I had $2000 and knew an ASE former subaru tech what should I do to my engine? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197682)

danieltrusty 12-07-2012 11:41 PM

So if I had $2000 and knew an ASE former subaru tech what should I do to my engine?

One shop quoted me over $2200 just to do my head gaskets and timing belt on my 1997 LGT 5MT EJ25D. This doesn't seem reasonable, but since my car has 181,xxx and an unknown service history, it got me thinking that it might be time for something.

So if you were me and had $2000 and an ASE certified ex-subaru tech who would do/help with the work for a VERY good price, how would you spend it?

I want the obvious: power and reliability. N/A would be easiest, but I doubt would provide the most benifits for this price.

I'm open to swaps and hybrids, but need something fairly easy to work on and obtain parts for.

Share your ideas/expirences please!

OH, and there is no emissions testing where I live so anything is an option.

SpecBamf41 12-08-2012 02:04 AM

you be surprised how fast you can spend 2 grand.. even without labor cost.

but if you want. you could open up all sorts of possibiltys with standalone engine management. uel heads with 2.5" back to a can. short ram intake. spark and fuel upgrades. and most important, hybrid builds. the 22e head on a 25 block is common. If 2.0 heads would fit and work idk maybe try it.

monkeyposeur 12-08-2012 10:02 AM

Like swagon said, a swap will eat up that $2k and then some (actually, a lot some lol), with you doing it yourself. Not to mention there will be a lot of downtime and you won't have a car for a while. An experienced mechanic could do your HGs and seals in a matter of days.

Your easiest and safest bet is to replace the head gaskets, use a high quality timing belt (OEM or Gates), replace all of the other timing components, water pump, new crankshaft and cam seals, oil separator plate, reseal your oil pump, new plugs/wires & air filter. Check your rear main seal and replace if it is leaking anything beyond a slight weep. I did this and a little more on my SS when the head gaskets went and I probably spent close to $1k just in parts and machining costs (decked the heads). You could also get your heads checked out and see if any of the valves need replacing, etc.

Since your engine will be out it is a good time do decide if you need to replace your clutch. Then button it all back together and if you have any money left do some suspension upgrades such as new struts/springs and swaybars. Then maybe some exhaust upgrades.

With most hybrid swaps you will need to do some engine management like swagon said, and you will be opening up a can of worms. If you want to spend some more money and want to do a swap, buy a wrecked WRX and swap everything over. But expect to spend at the very least $4k.

You might want to consider doing an EG33 swap. If you can find a cheap SVX you can swap the motor in and have a flat V6! :) You would have to merge the harnesses, and do some other mods to get it in there.

danieltrusty 12-08-2012 12:28 PM

I was actually looking at an EG33 swap, there seem to be a lot of old SVXs around here. Can't fine much info on the swap though. I can get EJ22 phase 2 heads for free(in decent shape from a running car), I was thinking of having them machined and going with the delta grind cams.The heads are off of an auto trans car and if I understand the ECU should match the heads so I would need a new ECU.

sti_044 12-08-2012 12:41 PM

I'm not sure about our cars but I know people have tried the EG33 in first gen legacies and it can be done but there are some clearance issues. wish I had more info for you but that's all I can remember at this point, and I'm not entirely sure how similar or different our engine bay is from the 1rst gen

BAC5.2 12-08-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swagon_Wagon (Post 4192098)
but if you want. you could open up all sorts of possibiltys with standalone engine management. uel heads with 2.5" back to a can. short ram intake. spark and fuel upgrades. and most important, hybrid builds. the 22e head on a 25 block is common. If 2.0 heads would fit and work idk maybe try it.

What possibilities? 10whp?

If I were you, I'd spend as little as possible. Headgaskets and a timing-belt/water pump would only cost you a few hundred bucks if you can do the labor yourself or with your friend for a case of beer.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to build a high-power N/A. Anything, ANYTHING, you try to do to make more power out of an N/A will have a TERRIBLE ROI. There are people who have spent THOUSANDS, and make less power than a stock EJ20 WRX.

If you HAVE to spend the rest, invest in tires, brakes, suspension (in that order).

Otherwise save your money.

An EG33 swap is definitely possible, but you'll be asking a LOT of your friend. It's not a bolt-in-and-drive swap.

monkeyposeur 12-08-2012 08:01 PM

I mentioned the EG33 swap more as an afterthought and not too seriously, lol. It has been done plenty of times in second gen legacies. But even the EG33 swap is best done with a head gasket replacement at the very least. It's a lot of work and you need to know how to weld. Check out joelwatt's thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ld-184928.html

It's good you are thinking about a swap. I think about one all the time and it is one of my long term goals. The most practical decision is to get your car back on the road and gain some more skills before you attempt a swap.

DOHCEJ22E1 12-08-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAC5.2 (Post 4192458)
If I were you, I'd spend as little as possible. Headgaskets and a timing-belt/water pump would only cost you a few hundred bucks if you can do the labor yourself or with your friend for a case of beer.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to build a high-power N/A. Anything, ANYTHING, you try to do to make more power out of an N/A will have a TERRIBLE ROI. There are people who have spent THOUSANDS, and make less power than a stock EJ20 WRX.

If you HAVE to spend the rest, invest in tires, brakes, suspension (in that order).

Otherwise save your money.

I agree with this man. Our engines are pretty much as maxed out as Subaru was able to do for them. Sometimes, its not about making big power, it's about taking the power & control that you have at the moment & using them as efficiently as possible. I'd save that $2K for the tires, brakes, & suspension, all of which will make your car feel & respond much better.

BAC5.2 12-08-2012 09:03 PM

I'd find yourself a good set of used 17's. I'd go with '11/'12 WRX wheels/tires, since you can get them cheap. Get yourself the whole range of SuperPro bushings. Pick up a set of Koni inserts and a set of springs. Grab a set of sway bars, a pair of end links. You should be able to do all of that for $2k if you hunt for good used parts where you can. Do that, and you'll end up with a car more fun to drive than you know what to do with.

Baddog 12-09-2012 12:13 PM

Since you have the 2.5 keep it. I went with a 2.5/2.2 head build because the 2.2 is slow and scary when needing to merge in rush hour traffic.

sti_044 12-09-2012 05:05 PM

or buy a 22t motor in good condition for under a grand most likely and it will be noticeable faster in stock form, but the upgrades are endless :D
I had a Td05/440s with the revtronics chip and i could light up all 4 tires in 1rst and 2nd when i hit boost :D

monkeyposeur 12-09-2012 08:50 PM

^+1. 22T stroker build ftw! :icon_twis

Tr00b 12-09-2012 10:00 PM

First, determine that you have a good foundation to make major work worth your investment, have your friend first evaluate the current state of the engine.

Do a compression test, listen very carefully for piston slap, rod knock, HLA issues, and evaluate if major internals are worn out of specification. I personally bought a mechanics stethoscope and a compression tester. Good compression and everything sounds good? Pull the timing cover and evaluate the belt. Tensioner good? Belt in good condition? No seal leaks? You may need to replace the cover and bolts on a car this age, mine are shot.

Spend some time, get the motor running as good as you can, fix all the little issues (hoses, filters, plugs, Rotella in the motor, IAC cleaned, MAFS cleaned, plug wires etc). You may very well not need to do anything. You may be able to just continue enjoying the car as is without spending big money. That sounds boring, I know. But its cheaper and the car is worth more unmolested and properly maintained.

BUT sounds like you are looking for something "more".

If you WANT a boosted car, and do not want to BECOME an ASE certified ex-Subaru technician (I leave ex- in there for a reason, these cars suck c equals 3 from a mechanics standpoint IMO) you should fix this car only in order to re-sell it to buy a WRX or other Turbo Subie.

If your heart is set on modding the LGT, there have been plenty of great suggestions.

danieltrusty 12-10-2012 05:17 AM

the car is in good condition as-is, if I replace stuff(maintence wise) its preemptive and due to a lack of knowing the service history. I don't plan to sell this car, I'll just mess with it until it dies. I'm not a big fan of the looks of most of the factory turbo'd subarus anyhow. Thanks for the suggestions, though, It looks like I'll start looking into aswap.

subikid90 12-10-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 4194138)
^+1. 22T stroker build ftw! :icon_twis

this is much more than $2k lol

Just my rods and pistons are that much