Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2010 2.5i Limited Price? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197641)

bonjovijanitor 12-07-2012 10:07 AM

2010 2.5i Limited Price?

Can anyone inform me on what I should be paying or offering for a 2010 2.5i Limited with 30K miles or more from a dealership?
Thanks

RailKill 12-07-2012 12:48 PM

http://www.kbb.com/subaru/legacy/201...&path=&filter=

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/legacy...7480&sub=sedan

herzzreh 12-07-2012 09:29 PM

Go with Edmunds pricing.
KBB is pretty much a dealer marketing tool where they can say "Lookie, you're paying $xxxx less tha KBB price!"

bonjovijanitor 12-08-2012 08:23 AM

Thanks. I've checked both of these out as well as looking at truecar and various other websites. Just trying to find a real price for what I should be paying, say like 15K-16K so I know where to start the negotiating.

MN3.6R 12-08-2012 09:11 AM

Not that it helps much, but I just plugged my car I bought 2 months ago in to Edmunds and I paid $200 less then what Edmunds is saying clean trade in is worth. A good deal is one you feel good about. Check NADA as well. Look around cars.com see what people are selling them for. Sure it may only have 30k on it, but how are the brakes? Tires? Interior? Use those things as leverage. Color would be helpful to know as well. It's not a big thing anymore, but if your looking at a Harvest Gold Legacy I think they give you 40% off lol. Also does the dealship give you any spiffs? Where I bought mine I get the 1st and 5th oil change free, and .05 off of Gas for 2 years.Find value...

PoManzAWD 12-08-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovijanitor (Post 4192235)
Thanks. I've checked both of these out as well as looking at truecar and various other websites. Just trying to find a real price for what I should be paying, say like 15K-16K so I know where to start the negotiating.

Price is going to vary widely by region and being winter time, anything AWD will be priced high.

Dealer retail for that car in my area is well over $20K. Completely insane. IMO, $16K would be an absolute steal for a 2010 Limited 2.5i. You couldn't touch one for that price in the Buffalo area. It would have to have well over 100K miles on it for that price.

Joel

hmmrdwn 12-08-2012 09:24 AM

Yeah Joel is right. Subarus are regional/season animal. You may pay a premium because of the season. My dad sold cars for a while when he was young and said that you should offer a price you think is totally unreasonable (low)....otherwise you might end up spending too much. The salesmen used to laugh at people who came in and would ask for $500 off sticker on the new car and then get lowballed on their trade. There have been times when new cars from mass produced companies (Honda) ADDED to their new car sticker prices because of demand. No Subaru is worth that much. :lol: Start low. If you don't get it, another one will come along.

PoManzAWD 12-08-2012 09:34 AM

I remember that in the early 1980's when Hondas and Toyotas actually sold for more than the sticker price. Dealers would tack on what ever they wanted because people would buy them regardless.

In my area, late model used Subarus are no deal. You're better off spending the low $20K's for a new Legacy Premium or base model even.

Joel

MN3.6R 12-08-2012 09:51 AM

Every dealership is different, However from 2005-2010 I was a Sales Manager at 2 different dealerships selling everything from Ford to Mercedes. And I have to disagree with the lowball offerings. Or atleast how I am taking that statement as. If I was asking $21k for a car and you came in and offered me $16k, I wouldn't take you to be a serious buyer and wouldn't even think to "go ask the boss". Bring a serious, educated offer to table. The car sales in the 70's,80's,90's are nothing like they are today. Salesman are not as slimy as they use to be, and buyers are more educated and have more tools available. I agree on the regional cost but it will not make a huge factor I have lived only in MN and CO and sure maybe you can get a better deal on a Subaru in FL, but not by much. Also seasonal isnt going to be a factor with Subaru. Maybe if you were looking for a Miata or 370z you could get a better deal in the winter, but again with modern technology a guy in FL would pay to ship a 370z from MN in January. Also the problem with a used car is comparing 2 of them. The one for $19,999 and one for $23,000 will not be the same car. Only when buying new can you truly compare apples to apples.

PoManzAWD 12-08-2012 10:04 AM

MN- You're right about times being different with respect to car sales. At most of the mega-dealerships in my area, you could spend hours walking through lots, showrooms, etc.. and many times, no-one will even approach you!

Sales personnel are more like appointment-only paper pushers these days. Have to just about drag them away from their phones/computers and out of their cubicles.

I remember years ago you were swarmed the second you appeared on the lot. Hate to say it, but I almost preferred the swarming. They were more eager to make deal it seems. Now it's pretty much pay this or walk.

Joel

MN3.6R 12-08-2012 10:22 AM

I agree 100% lol. When I went to buy my recent car. I went to a couple of dealerships and had to go find somebody. Alot of dealerships actually pay a salary and then a bonus for how many cars you sell. And then you have the "one low price" dealerships where all you can fight over is trade in and they won't move on the price of their car.

Byll 12-08-2012 11:24 AM

My family's history is to purchase used. It has always worked. In 1998, I was able to purchase a used 1997 Legacy GT wagon with low mileage, for a fine discount over new. That car is still very much on the road, being driven by a family member. High mileage has never bothered our Subarus.

In mid 2011, I went looking for a used 5MT Legacy wagon - no Outback. I guess I had not followed the product line, closely enough. Nothing past 2008 was available, and what were there were usually Outback automatics...

I then realized a sedan was in my future. I attempted to purchase a recent 2.5i. I really did. It was September, when I gave up. No standard transmission cars could be found within the surrounding states, and the prices for the CVTs were way too close to the price of a new vehicle.

I know that good used 5th gen 2.5i Legacies are out there. I am beginning to see more, as overall 5th gen Legacy sales increase, and as some individuals trade up (?) to the new engine/transmission combination. In the end, if I could have found what I wanted, I would have saved a few thousand dollars, and purchased used. The bane of Subaru used sales, is that Subarus hold their value.

It was an interesting experience to order a new car, and have it arrive - very unexpectedly for all of us - in two weeks.

In the end... If a good quality, 30K mile 5th generation Premium 2.5i is available for $16K, I would jump on it... Very quickly...

Best.
Byll

bonjovijanitor 12-09-2012 06:30 AM

Thanks everyone for the great and informative answers. Going today to see what I can do, hopefully have a legacy by the end of the day if everything goes well.

dgoodhue 12-09-2012 09:15 AM

2.5i Limited are currently listing for ~26500. sunroof is ~1000. Navagation is ~2000. Price is going to depend on options. You probably can get easily negotiate 1500-2000 off those prices for new cars. For my expereince buying a Subaru this summer, I think it's doubtful you will get anywhere near 16k even if its doesn't have any additional option. Below 20k might be a real good deal

PoManzAWD 12-09-2012 09:34 AM

I was kind of surprised to find a few 2010, 2.5i, CVTs listed in my area at dealers in the $16K range. They were premium package models. Thing is, I've found that dealers love to leave those adds up LONG after those vehicles are gone, in the hope you'll call/email someone on it.

Joel