Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Review my blown turbo shortblock replacement plan (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197530)

pikandchute 12-05-2012 12:16 PM

Review my blown turbo shortblock replacement plan

I picked up a 2005 LGT with a blown turbo, 180k for cheap. The car was running smoothly when I bought it but making no boost. I pulled the turbo, and both turbine and compressor are damaged. I found metal flakes in the oil, then pulled the pan and found more metal flakes in the pan. Between the extensive damage to the turbo, knowing that the car was driven for at least 100 miles or so with blown turbo, and the metal flakes, I have decided that I need a new short block.

Here is what I am planning on buying for the motor:
Used 07 STI EJ257 short block, 11k miles, includes water pump - pulled from a totaled STI
2 new idlers, new tensioner, new timing belt
New oil cooler
New oil pump or rebuild using my current pump housing
New cam seals and valve cover gaskets
040 thickness head gaskets (I believe this will lower the EJ257 compression from 8.4:1 to about 8.1:1. With resurfaced heads, I'm hoping this will leave me pretty close to stock 8.2:1 compression)

My plan is to take the replacement short block with the parts listed above to a machine shop along with the current long block. I will have them disassemble the current long block, rework current heads as needed, and reassemble on the replacement short block. The cylinders compression tested within 5psi and motor ran smoothly, so I'm hopeful that heads are still OK. I will also thoroughly clean my current oil pan and intake manifold.

In addition to the motor itself. I will get the following:
New oil feed line and drain tube - considering IP&T oil feed
Used Catless uppipe
New turbo inlet
Used stock intercooler
Examine clutch and replace if needed
New turbo - I am still deciding, but I don't want to make this discussion about turbo selection or supporting mods. I know that it will be VF52/16g or smaller (possibly stock) and that I will initially run stock fueling, intercooler, clutch, and downpipe with custom, safe tune.

Is there anything I'm missing or general feedback on this plan?

mattg 12-05-2012 02:29 PM

I think most people would suggest using an aftermarket oil pickup as the OEM part can fail. Killer B, Moroso & one other company make one I believe.

Max Capacity 12-05-2012 04:38 PM

Here's my thread, it may help.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...-r-184106.html

Let the machine shop clean the oil pan and all parts that the oil touches.

pikandchute 12-06-2012 11:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I ended up locating a 2012 WRX longblock, uppipe, intercooler, turbo inlet, and bpv and decided to go that route. I will look into the Killer B pickup and have the oil pan professionally cleaned as I don't won't to take any risks with the new block.

Plan now is to locate a VF52 to match the WRX longblock, copy over the tables from a WRX ECU and tune from there.

700watts 12-06-2012 12:05 PM

the only thing I can say is, you'll out grow that turbo pretty quickly...I would suggest a larger turbo and low boost. If your spending the money spend a little more and not have to come back to that.

wurkenman 12-07-2012 03:55 AM

I have a used TMIC off my 05 LGT when I did my full STI build. I went with FMIC. Intercooler is your for 60 shipped.
Tery

2manysubies 12-07-2012 08:34 AM

+1 for 700watts turbo idea. Live with the slower spool(bigger turbo) and drive the car first, if ya gonna play, keep it in a lower gear, Recommend EBCS as it lets turbo spool faster(at least in mine) my .02

Mac

Later on have your tuner bump it up! (trust me, you will!)

ripemeat 12-12-2012 12:02 PM

07 sti pistons are notorious, it's a pretty well-known thing on nasioc. if you're going to split the block it would be well worth replacing with quality forged units....even if your compression is fine now.

mwiener2 12-12-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg (Post 4188265)
I think most people would suggest using an aftermarket oil pickup as the OEM part can fail. Killer B, Moroso & one other company make one I believe.

Hear this all the item on forums and from vendors. Never hear about it from actual shops or personal experience.

m sprank 12-13-2012 01:36 PM

I have seen the OEM pick ups fail. I have posted pix of failed OEM pickups I removed. I even personally know a pilot who used an EJ25 engine in a home made gyro copter. His pick up failed at 300ft elevation. Scary experience having to crash land when your motor oil starves.

It does not happen all the time, but it happens.

ripemeat 12-13-2012 01:52 PM

It's worth the extra $100, moroso, covert, and killer b make an aftermarket variant for the ej25.