Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   how much hp can the 5sp auto hold? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197449)

05wagongt 12-04-2012 09:39 AM

how much hp can the 5sp auto hold?

i am looking to start modding as soon as a i get my car back from the dealer with my new engine....

i want cat-back exhaust, cat less up pipe, cai for hp
tein coilovers for handling...

i know that exhaust and an intake is going to add a ton of hp, but how much hp can i add without worrying about my tranny going boom???

MrTris 12-04-2012 09:47 AM

Read. Read threads. Learn. Learn to mod. Mod correctly. Come correct.

This is the way of the LGT.com.

Max Capacity 12-04-2012 09:57 AM

Not enough.

laff79 12-04-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05wagongt (Post 4186042)
i am looking to start modding as soon as a i get my car back from the dealer with my new engine....

i want cat-back exhaust, cat less up pipe, cai for hp
tein coilovers for handling...

i know that exhaust and an intake is going to add a ton of hp, but how much hp can i add without worrying about my tranny going boom???

^No to everything in big letters.

downpipe and tune for quick cheap hp.

please search

ripemeat 12-04-2012 02:00 PM

:munch:

infact an intake on these cars add nearly no horsepower until 350whp, and you need a tune for it. get an uppipe, downpipe, cbe, and a tune either via accessport or open source and call it a day. the downpipe with the tune is what gets you power, the catback and the intake together will get you very minimal as they are not the restriction in these cars, it's the downpipe and the sucky tune.

TurboLag23 12-04-2012 02:15 PM

Take your intake-making-power idea and toss it in the bin.

I don't know the 5EAT's limitations, but here's some ways to make a little more power right out of the gate:

1. Downpipe. CNT makes a catted one for $350. You already have an up-pipe judging by your other thread, so you don't need to worry about that.

2. Tune. Infamous performance will do one for $150.

3. Swap bars. Because corners exist. Whitelines cost $200 each (front and back).

4. Brakes. Because going faster means stopping faster when you need to. Stoptech pads are $130, Centrics are $60.

5. IP&T filtered oil supply lines. Because blowing up turbos is no fun. $220.

So that's $1,000 right there, and you've gained a bit of hp, a bit of handling, a bit of braking ability, and no turbo explosion. See how you like that for a few months before continuing on with your mods.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mods to consider further down the road:

1. Coilovers. Tein, KW, and Cusco make good ones. Not sure about BC's or other brands. Will cost anywhere from $1,000 to $2,300.

2. Catback. Don't add too much horsepower unless acting as a supporting mod for a turbo, but can still make your car sound fast (for whatever that's worth). Magnaflow and Invidia. Will cost anywhere from $500 to $1,000.

3. Brakes. New rotors (Stoptech, Centric, DBA) will help you stop even faster. A BBK will help you stop even even faster. Rotors cost about $200 for the front or rear ($400 for both), and a BBK can cost you upwards of $3,000.

4. TMIC, EBCS, fuel pump, and injectors. Good supporting mods for a bigger turbo. All of this will cost you close to $1,500.

5. A bigger turbo. Good for when you've got supporting mods. Will cost you anywhere from $700 to $1,200.

Only when it comes to turbo choices will you start bumping your head on the transmission's power limitations. As you can see, the road to a bigger turbo is very long, and very expensive. If you total up just the engine mods on this list (without including the turbo), you're looking at over $2,500.

Note: all the prices I listed are assuming the items are new. You can pick up certain items used and get them for cheaper... whether or not you should is kind of up to common sense.

Note: I wrote all this because I'm procrastinating for an essay hardcore right now. My idiocity is your gain.

iNVAR 12-04-2012 02:37 PM

a catback won't give you jack. an intake won't give you jack. please search, read stickies, etc.

kred 12-04-2012 02:46 PM

I've heard that a subaru 5-speed manual tranny is good up to about 300 whp, but I'm not sure if an automatic would be any less durable.

TurboLag23 12-04-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kred (Post 4186607)
I've heard that a subaru 5-speed manual tranny is good up to about 300 whp, but I'm not sure if an automatic would be any less durable.

This is true, but an auto to manual swap is time consuming and VERY pricy. Not everyone's cup of tea.

boxkita 12-04-2012 03:06 PM

whp doesnt blow the tranny. Its too much abuse of the clutch pedal (speed shifting). That said, the rumoured upper limit is 400 wtq. I run 335 wtq on the road track (about as abusive as you can get, short of power shifting at the dragstrip) with no issues.

LosAngelesLGT 12-04-2012 03:26 PM

Dunno what deez nutz are tellin u b cuz I got 371whp wit a cai, cat-back exhaust, cat less up pipe and tein coilovers for handling...

:iam:

TheBlackPearl 12-04-2012 04:13 PM

Stupid acronyms.

ovr9000 12-04-2012 05:29 PM

There is a lot info on this site, and most of it is relatively easy to find with a quick google search starting with site:legacygt.com. Like this, or this. Have fun reading while you wait for your new turbo and engine

balrock01 12-04-2012 06:55 PM

you should really readup on this
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ght=valve+body

UTwrestler22 12-04-2012 07:09 PM

Search before not only posting in a thread, but starting one. I'm sure you've gotten the idea. And for your mods, you don't need to worry about the tranny blowing. I think i heard it'll hold up to 400-450 wtq? Could be wrong though.