Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   No start after new motor (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197432)

revD 12-03-2012 09:52 PM

No start after new motor

Engine needed a rebuild and i got that done by a machine shop and have since put it back in the car. Now trying to start it, it doesn't want to fire. I have checked all the plugs and such a couple times. Hopefully something easy. So here is the deal:

- no spark and not grounding the injectors when cranking
- it is throwing codes when I unplug sensors as I check them (so ECM is working)
- it is powering the fuel pump when the key is turned on

Any ideas? Anything weird about getting these back online after tear down ?

I am checking the crank and cam sensor outputs now...

ripemeat 12-04-2012 07:03 AM

there should be 3 engine grounds, one going from each head to the frame rails, and one from the pitchstop mount to the tranny. did you hook up the fuel lines backwards to the engine? did you set the timing properly? you need to retrace your steps

2manysubies 12-04-2012 09:02 AM

^+1

Mac

revD 12-04-2012 04:14 PM

3 grounds are on there.
Machine shop finished the long block and set timing, I looked at the marks and everything before putting covers on, but will review again.

I checked the fuel lines, but even if they were backwards - would that make the car no have spark or ground the injectors when cranking?

ripemeat 12-04-2012 04:31 PM

the engine harness has a set a grounds along with the starter, they collect and all bolt to 1 12mm tgv bolt, drivers side. make sure the engine harness plug is tight together and that no wires pushed out of the clips.

frank_ster 12-04-2012 05:50 PM

well #1 does the crank sensor work / plugged in ?

#2also fyi if the cams are off by one tooth the ecm wont let the car fire. to test for this unplug both cam sensors.

# 3 the large connector above the turbo if its not fully plugged in it will cause issues.

revD 12-05-2012 10:51 AM

#1 I had a scope on the car, we tested the crank sensor out of the car, and in it for ocilation of voltage - it works
#2 So, the car will fire with both cam sensors off then?
#3 Big connector is plugged in and wires checked.

thanks so far guys, very helpful, Ill try the cam sensor trick.

revD 12-05-2012 10:52 AM

ill double check that ground on drivers side,

Max Capacity 12-05-2012 04:42 PM

It must be something simple, re-trace your steps.

Did you pull any fuses ?

frank_ster 12-05-2012 05:35 PM

waiting for some one to say " is there gas in the tank ? "

revD 12-09-2012 03:33 PM

Ha. Yeah thanks there is gas. I confirmed I am getting fuel pressure also.
I tried the cam sensor trick, and checked all the fuses. I agree should be something simple. I have not had much time to fuss with it and have a borrowed car right not. Just frustrating.

ripemeat 12-09-2012 03:54 PM

are you getting any stored CEL's? scan it and see

revD 01-20-2013 05:21 PM

Got this figured btw, Machine shop goofed and the timing was not set properly. pully got marked wrong somehow. Car is dialed now, should have looked at the timing closer.

frank_ster 01-20-2013 07:21 PM

hehe
its because the subarus are ment to be timmed 90 deg from tdc. i made the same mistake.