Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stage 1 ACN Burning Smell (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197390)

rob-2 12-03-2012 11:07 AM

Stage 1 ACN Burning Smell

When I run the car in stage 1 (cobb) for a bit, drive the car hard and than slow down I get a burning smell in the cabin. Not overly powerful a smell, but it's there.

It's not brakes or rubber. It smells almost plastic like, with a tad oil smell.

I initially thought my engine bay was dirty, so I washed it down but no luck. I've checked for oil leaks and nothing.

I suspect my turbo is getting very hot and throwing off a smell, yet as a closed system that doesn't seem reasonable.

Thoughts?

doobaruGT 12-03-2012 11:10 AM

CV boot throwing grease on the DP? just a guess. I have a similar issue and need to take a look under the car.

rob-2 12-03-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doobaruGT (Post 4184334)
CV boot throwing grease on the DP? just a guess. I have a similar issue and need to take a look under the car.

I don't see any grease. I had that CV boot/axle replaced in August for this very issue.

doobaruGT 12-03-2012 11:17 AM

How many miles? I'm really curious to see what your issue is.

Burba88 12-03-2012 11:59 AM

i too just experienced this smell today after i was running it hard on highway then got home...

Max Capacity 12-03-2012 01:28 PM

May be your finally driving the car hard enough to get all the crap burned off the pipes and out of the cylinders.

How often did the engine see redline before ?

Mine see it every few day's. If not a few times a day.

rob-2 12-03-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doobaruGT (Post 4184340)
How many miles? I'm really curious to see what your issue is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4184526)
May be your finally driving the car hard enough to get all the crap burned off the pipes and out of the cylinders.

How often did the engine see redline before ?

Mine see it every few day's. If not a few times a day.

Not sure. The x-wife drove it for the first 26K we had the car. Bought at 60k now at 87K. About 1 k ago I cobb'd it. Toasted the stock brakes two weekends ago in the mountain. I'm used to driving a better car. Between cobbing it and the smoking of the brakes the smell has stayed. It's directly linked to teh stage 1. On eco mode I cannot get the car to smell.

Driving it lighter this last week and no smell.

JMLegacy 12-03-2012 06:33 PM

Check near the turbo if the breather hose is leaking any oil. Did you do an oil change recently?

EJ25subie05 12-03-2012 06:52 PM

its normal at least it was for my old lgt at stage 2 and both of my buddies wrx. ones a 2006 and the other a 2012 they both get a smell inside after running it hard. if you would drive behind them and they get on it, its only a matter of seconds before that subie smell enters your cab :)

JMLegacy 12-03-2012 06:54 PM

So what exactly is that smell? Cause I'm smelling it too. lol.
It's only noticeable when you pop the hood or inside the car. The exhaust pipe doesn't smell that way

Max Capacity 12-04-2012 06:40 AM

I'm still thinking it's all the crap getting hot.

My wagon doesn't have any smells when I drive it hard, because it's used to it.

Engine saw redline 3 times yesterday on the drive home from work.

Drove it to VT and back over the weekend again, no smells.

EJ25subie05 12-04-2012 11:55 AM

i agree, its just stuff that doesn't get burned out because you or previous owner drove car to lightly or it sat for a while. my spec b doesn't smell any more and i run it hard :)

Burba88 12-04-2012 02:23 PM

Must just be the scooby smell :)

rob-2 12-05-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ25subie05 (Post 4185217)
its normal at least it was for my old lgt at stage 2 and both of my buddies wrx. ones a 2006 and the other a 2012 they both get a smell inside after running it hard. if you would drive behind them and they get on it, its only a matter of seconds before that subie smell enters your cab :)

What is the smell coming from though? It's concerning, nothing should be 'burning' while driven.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLegacy (Post 4185221)
So what exactly is that smell? Cause I'm smelling it too. lol.
It's only noticeable when you pop the hood or inside the car. The exhaust pipe doesn't smell that way

I'm trying to figure this out. I am almost suspecting something plastic is cheap and not safe for the heat. Debating removing the engine cover. Remember Subaru is a tractor company first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4185767)
I'm still thinking it's all the crap getting hot.

My wagon doesn't have any smells when I drive it hard, because it's used to it.

Engine saw redline 3 times yesterday on the drive home from work.

Drove it to VT and back over the weekend again, no smells.

I guess it's important to note 3 redlines wouldn't be considered hard for me.

When I mean hard. I mean sitting above 4K, in and out of boost, high g load (limit of suspension & tires) on some of the twistiest back roads. Heavy braking, and driving it 4-5th/10ths. Cutting the proper line, not just following the road. 2-3 times the posted limit. And before every one gets pissed, if you were out here you'd go 3-5 hours before you saw another car. These are 'those' deserted Southern Nevada roads you see on all the TV shows. On the track in the sports car I'd drive as hard is 8/10ths. So at 4-5/10ths it shouldn't be anywhere near enough 'heat' to cause problems.

Keep in mind I'll have the Honda sitting between 6-8k all day. Not a single smell beyond toasty brakes and rubber.

700watts 12-05-2012 10:11 AM

If it's not the cv boot, it's the “half shaft” meaning the part that connects the rear drive shaft to the tranny leaking trans fluid on to the exhaust if you have manual. Not sure about the auto