Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Detailing, Maintenance, and Long-term care (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Wash,cleaner wax,polish and wax (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197314)

donyzfr1 12-01-2012 05:29 PM

Wash,cleaner wax,polish and wax

Im tired of hearing my wife's mouth about me spend so much time cleaning my car. It took me about 4 to 5 hours today to wash,use a cleaner wax, polish and wax today. On a average how long does it take you? And yes, I want her to read the comments! LOL

blongo804 12-01-2012 06:15 PM

I detail on the side.. Today a customer got a full interior vacuum/scrub down of all carpets, door jambs, trunk jamb, Windows cleaned, strip wash, polish, glaze, wax, tires scrubbed, wheels cleaned, black plastics rejuvenated, and I think that's it.. Took about 5 hours. :D ;)

Op, it also depends on what product you use. Cheaper products will be harder to apply and harder to wipe down. I use stuff that wipes on super easy and off just as easy, but is somewhat pricey to average consumers. Look up www.adamspolishes.com and also check out www.detailedimage.com and look into Chemical Guys.

donyzfr1 12-01-2012 07:13 PM

I used all the Meguiars products, they are pretty easy to remove. But hey, always looking for something better and easier. What do you use to rejuvenate black plastic parts

blongo804 12-01-2012 08:03 PM

Meguiar's make good stuff, but their best stuff is more found online (M105/M205, but they're more for machine polishing). I use Adam's Super V.R.T. It's a nongreasy, water repelling, SPF protection coating. It can also be used for tires and rubber trim. :)

GTPpilot 12-02-2012 07:43 AM

Also search Autogeek.net for AIO products.
I am using Optimum Polymer stuff with good results.
I agree M105/205 for serious correction, but something like
Poli-Seal might be the ticket for you. I am also looking for good
results in less time. I've been using Optimum No Rinse car wash
with great results.

Lots of good info that will help you in the Autogeek.net forums.

OCDetails 12-03-2012 11:18 AM

It depends on which vehicle I'm doing and how thorough I'm being. :) Typically between 3 and 4 hours for a full detail inside and out with wash, clay, polish, and wax. But I'm using a machine too, so you can definitely expect that to be longer if you are doing it by hand. If you are doing a really good job and taking your time then I can see 4 or 5 hours pretty easily. That is actually a pretty good pace for doing it without a machine.

Tell your wife that the same job would cost her about $300 if she hired me to do it, so quit yer complaining. ;) $300 twice a year and a couple $180 maintenance jobs in between... I'd say she should be thanking you for saving that grand a year in detailing maintenance costs and preserving as much of the value of your car as you can.

xero287 12-04-2012 08:14 AM

Jeez you guys are quick. I Take around 16-24 hours for a 2-step polish (depending on size of car).

OCDetails 12-04-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xero287 (Post 4185898)
Jeez you guys are quick. I Take around 16-24 hours for a 2-step polish (depending on size of car).

Just curious why it takes so long. What tools and products are you using? Even if you spent ten minutes per panel it shouldn't take that long. Short of wetsanding the entire car to eliminate orange peel, I can't imagine a job taking that long. It only takes me 12 hours to clay, polish and seal a Citation CJ3, so to spend twice that on a car just seems a little excessive.

blongo804 12-04-2012 10:41 AM

Also curious what you're doing/using xero!

xero287 12-05-2012 08:57 AM

That's usually including scratch correction at an average of about 8-11 scratches per car.

I rushed doing my car and it took my 16 hours. That's including:

Foam, Tar removal, Car Wash, De-Ironizer, Clay, 2-step Polish, Sealant.

The Wheels usually take me a while too as I wash and wax those as well.

I do know that an Acura RL I did the other day took me around 23 hours, but that paint was in absolutely horrible condition. It had heavy oxidation and swirling.

I'm using Menzerna Products with Sonax Products with Swissvax Products with Misc Meguiar's Products lol

Tools: Various Brushes and Mitts with the 7424XP with various pads and sizes.

Interiors also take me a while because people can be messy and I'm a perfectionist.

mhoran89 12-05-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xero287 (Post 4187626)
That's usually including scratch correction at an average of about 8-11 scratches per car.

I rushed doing my car and it took my 16 hours. That's including:

Foam, Tar removal, Car Wash, De-Ironizer, Clay, 2-step Polish, Sealant.

The Wheels usually take me a while too as I wash and wax those as well.

I do know that an Acura RL I did the other day took me around 23 hours, but that paint was in absolutely horrible condition. It had heavy oxidation and swirling.

I'm using Menzerna Products with Sonax Products with Swissvax Products with Misc Meguiar's Products lol

Tools: Various Brushes and Mitts with the 7424XP with various pads and sizes.

Interiors also take me a while because people can be messy and I'm a perfectionist.

to make that regiment even better, try glazing before sealing it and then wax it as the last step.

i usually do a strip wash, clay if needed, swirl remover (polish), glaze, sealant, and then wax.

i usually use a lot of products from the chemical guys. i love their products.

what do you recommend for a tire shine/black that lasts a while? i havent found one that lasts...

blongo804 12-05-2012 03:07 PM

Chemical Guys is great stuff. For tire shine, Adam's Polishes Super V.R.T. works wonders. SPF protectant, water repelling, and decent life-span with two coats. Finishes nice and matte too..not greasy looking plus it's dry to the touch once you put it on.

xero287 12-06-2012 05:05 AM

I don't find that the glaze offers a noticeable difference unless you get into the high end spectrum of things. I rather put a layer of wax on top of the sealant.

OCDetails 12-07-2012 09:39 AM

Glaze should not go before the sealant. A sealant will not bond to a glaze. The surface should oil and wax free before laying down a sealant.

Man, if it is taking you 23 hours to do a car then I sure hope you get paid by the hour to do that. I don't have many people willing to leave a car with me for three days while I detail it anyway. I try to avoid vehicles that are beat to hell and require that much time to make right. I haven't ever had a project that took me more than 15 hours to do, and that was a jet. I did a boat that took 12 hours once, but the longest I've ever spent on a single vehicle with wheels was 8 hours.

How much does one charge for a three day project? Maybe I should start stretching it out a little. lol

GTPpilot 12-07-2012 10:31 AM

I remember the thread about that jet. That was awesome.
You did that in 15 hours ? You are my hero !!

Being a detailing hobbyist it's not unusual for me to take all weekend,
Friday night til Sunday afternoon, to do a full exterior detail including,
2 stage polish, multiple layers of sealant, trim, wheelwells, wheels, glass,
etc., but that's just because I like to play around and find what I like and
what works for me. My wife's black acura suv is going to be the death of
me though. I'm already eager for spring so I can try and figure out how
to bring out that last little bit of clarity and sparkle in the finish. P085rd ?