Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Burnt Oil Smell in Cabin (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196717)

donyzfr1 11-21-2012 03:47 AM

Burnt Oil Smell in Cabin

Hello all, I am smelling burnt oil in my cabin, only when Im stopped at a red light. If I close the fresh air to recirculate I smell nothing. I dont have any oil spot in the driveway at all. I dont even see where the oil is running from. Any suggestions?

wurkenman 11-21-2012 04:04 AM

Check the passenger side CV boot.

wrc10 11-21-2012 04:08 AM

Look for drips on up pipe.

Chappy5107 11-21-2012 05:57 AM

I have same problem, check passenger side valve cover, it drips right down onto manifold and burns off before it will hit the ground. That is more than likely where your leak is from, and or the oil cooler.

Max Capacity 11-21-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chappy5107 (Post 4167944)
I have same problem, check passenger side valve cover, it drips right down onto manifold and burns off before it will hit the ground. That is more than likely where your leak is from, and or the oil cooler.

Yep, what he said.

These cars are known for that.

Check this forum, lot's of talk about this recently.

mungewell 11-21-2012 10:43 AM

+1 for the oil return hose on the bottom of the turbo... mine looked like this. After I removed it to clean it up, it leaked more. Replacing it this weekend.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8340/8...ccc4d4ee22.jpg

You have to pull the turbo to get at it, but the replacement part is around $10.

Max Capacity 11-21-2012 11:09 AM

To make it easier to install the turbo, pick up 5 bolts that hold the up pipe bracket to the block. Use them in place of the studs on the up pipe.

You can thank later.

Makes lining up everything much easier.

Use anti-seize compound on all the nuts and bolts.

MAP 11-24-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chappy5107 (Post 4167944)

Or it could be that the passenger side CV boot closest to the engine has ripped open and throwing grease on exhaust and everywhere else.

I've replaced all 3 items since I got my Car ~ 4 yrs ago...
(Orange rubber seal at oil cooler, CV boot/ shaft, valve cover gasket)
With my luck the oil drain hose on the turbo will go next.. At least I already have the new hose. The guy at the dealer says to me when I bought the hose.... "Those never go bad..."

CraigSternberg 11-25-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donyzfr1 (Post 4167884)
Hello all, I am smelling burnt oil in my cabin, only when Im stopped at a red light. If I close the fresh air to recirculate I smell nothing. I dont have any oil spot in the driveway at all. I dont even see where the oil is running from. Any suggestions?

Had the same problem last week. Turned out to be the passenger inner CV boot, as others have said. Split open and was slinging grease onto the downpipe.

Just replaced it this weekend. If you decide to swap the axle out completely...do yourself a favor and get the $8 axle seal from the dealer. My buddy and I replaced axle and somehow during removal/install, the spring inside the lip of the seal got pinched and caused the fluid to drip out the side of the trans. Re-did the job today and replaced the seal. No more leaking fluid.

MAP 11-26-2012 11:52 PM

This seems to be a never ending battle. I just replaced the passenger side valve cover gasket... And guess what, I still smell a light oil burning smell. Last I checked the driver's side wasnt leaking but maybe it is now... So damn annoying.

Max Capacity 11-27-2012 05:00 AM

Remember the car is 8 years old. Nothing last forever.

At least most of the normal problems are fairly easy to fix. Or at least all the how too's are here.

chato 11-27-2012 09:10 AM

I had the smell and it was a leak from the oil cooler gasket above the oil filter.
edit: and the passenger side VC gasket, and a torn CV boot.

donyzfr1 11-27-2012 04:41 PM

It was my CV boot and passenger side valve cover gasket. The stealership wanted $1700 for both jobs. Tires Plus did both for $400 and now no more oil smell.

MAP 11-27-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4174439)
Remember the car is 8 years old. Nothing last forever.

At least most of the normal problems are fairly easy to fix. Or at least all the how too's are here.

I had a Jeep Cherokee that was 12 years old and had 140,000mi on it before I sold it. Never had to replace any gaskets or seals on it. There was some seepage but no outright leaks.

The heat from the turbo on this engine is definitely what has degraded the items I have had to change. And the fact that the exhaust wraps around the whole engine... Any oil leaks end up on the exhaust and results in that wonderful aroma.

If all those other items have failed , how long before the oil seals on the turbo fail?

Any tell tale signs?

Rattsl 12-03-2012 11:48 PM

I just noticed today a burnt oil smell on mine, but I was speeding.....needless to say, I don't smell it when I am going at the speed limit. Maybe I was pushing it too hard and it's just normal? That didn't make sense hahahaha. Smelled burnt oil, I was speeding, slowed down because I got worried.