Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2.5L engine fun to drive? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196653)

flash40 11-19-2012 08:27 PM

2.5L engine fun to drive?

Hi,

Considering a 2013 Legacy after having a Corolla for 8 years.

Been looking around the forum, but wanted to ask a couple q's.

1. How does the 2.5L feel in the '10,'11, or '12? I mean, is it fun to drive? Good acceleration, good pull?

2. A friend told me that their 2010 Legacy drove like a boat, which I found a little hard to believe. Opinions?

3. What's the best thing(s) about this car? The worst?

I drive 40 mins to work each way on a twisty parkway that could be more fun with the right car - but I really want AWD and good mpg - so that's why I am here.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Kastley85891 11-19-2012 08:40 PM

Go test drive one my man.

I did fully expecting not to be too touched with a 2.5 and actually was very impressed.

Cant really offer any more FB to you then that as its too subjective, and,or biased ;-)

flash40 11-19-2012 08:47 PM

That's my plan - can't wait to try it out.

PrimeRib 11-19-2012 08:55 PM

Um...its ok. Car handles pretty well. Not as well as my 06 Accord 4 banger, but not bad. Acceleration is adequate for most driving situations. Top gear acceleration on the highway is dreadful. Smooth shifting of the 6MT takes a bit of getting used to. I think it shifts like a truck. But then again, I'm comparing it to my 5MT Accord that had a buttery smooth Honda shifter. It would shift gears as fast as my hand and feet would move.

Overall, the 2.5 is a utilitarian engine. Don't expect any thrills unless you buy the turbo. Definately don't expect much if you get the CVT.

MRLancaster 11-19-2012 09:06 PM

That may be for the 12, but the 13's in my opinion are very peppy and fun for what they are, I've owned, and driven several turbo cars and yes they were fun. But I have to say my 2.5i is still up there are on "fun" list. Its not "fast" but it sure isnt bland. Its been a blast and have had no regrets on buying it.

And several friends have said its very enjoyable and weren't expecting it to be as enjoyable as it was.

laz 11-19-2012 09:23 PM

Also keep in mind that the car needs to learn your driving style. My '12 felt slower than my '07 until I broke it in. Now it is as fast as my '07. It is not GT fast, but it is adequate and fun.

X

TwoTone 11-19-2012 09:39 PM

We personally didn't like the CVT, but like the 6spd, so if you can try both.

But I also see that for 2013 you can't get a Premium 6spd, that really sucks.

Scooby-GT 11-20-2012 12:38 AM

If you are coming from a Corolla, you will find the 2013 Legacy 110% more sure footed, and stable at any speed, this is especially with the firmer suspension on the 2013.

1) No comment on the 10-12
2) It's possible, their suspension is way soft, you will not find this on the 2013.
3) The price to value ratio is rough to beat. You get a fairly well equipped car even at the base model, and AWD standard. The new FB is also super smooth. I am still surprised at how much fun I have got from this tiny 174hp engine.

If you want good mpg, I would stay away from the 6mt. CVT will not give you the same driving enjoyment, but you will be happier at the pump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash40 (Post 4166033)
Hi,

1. How does the 2.5L feel in the '10,'11, or '12? I mean, is it fun to drive? Good acceleration, good pull?

2. A friend told me that their 2010 Legacy drove like a boat, which I found a little hard to believe. Opinions?

I drive 40 mins to work each way on a twisty parkway that could be more fun with the right car - but I really want AWD and good mpg - so that's why I am here.

Thanks for any thoughts!

blklgt05 11-20-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks for any thoughts!

If you drive 40min/trip each day, you'll definitely want the fully loaded 2.5i. It's fun to drive, safe, and decent MPG. But to put it in perspective, you are not buying a muscle/sports car, but still a ton more fun to drive than Accord/Camry.

I'd say test drive it and see if you like it. I've helped two of my friends getting their 2.5i, one is base model and the other is fully loaded with Navi and they both love it. 2010 2.5i Base Model $22K OTD, 2011 2.5i Limited w/ Nav $26,500 OTD. 2013 has eyesight and that gadget may cost you another $1.5K or so if you want it.

Gborja888 11-20-2012 05:28 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks for any thoughts!

Actually, I've used to own a 1991 and 1998 Corolla before and I've driven both the 2002 and 2009 Corolla of my relatives back home. All I can say, there's no comparison when comparing them in terms of power, acceleration and stability. I think they are on different level. So I'm pretty sure, you could feel the big difference when you drive the legacy.

Is it fun to drive? Yes, for me it's definitely much more to drive my 2.5i CVT than all the Corolla MT/AT I've driven so far. I also feel safer to drive my car because of the more solid suspension and overall more solid feeling of the car.

Acceleration wise, the 2.5L engine is more than sufficient to power/accelerate the car - power to weight ratio is quite good, I feel it's quite powerful even with 5 big persons on the car and going up a busy shopping mall parking lot without problem.

The best thing about this car is the AWD. I could drive faster than others when it's raining and snowing :) Another good thing - it's very fuel efficient, I'm averaging 8.4-8.6L/100km or that's about 27-28mpg 50/50 city/highway combined driving. Another good thing is - it's unique and you seldom see the same car on the road.

The worst - not so many performance/aero kit parts for this car here. Not as many as other cars like Mazda 6, VW or AUDI.

My suggestion is for you to test drive it, if you like it, go for it, but I will tell you now that definitely you won't regret it.

Good luck on your car shopping!

mark5032 11-20-2012 05:46 AM

I would say the acceleration of a 2.5i Legacy is adequate. If you are coming from a Corolla it should seem fine. I was not 100% sure if I would like the CVT when I bought the car, but a manual transmission was not an option because my wife can't drive one, and this is a family car for me after all. I like the CVT because of good fuel economy, instantly getting into the powerband so it accelerates as well as it can without selecting the wrong gear, and keeping the rpms low on the highway. One of the things that always drove me nuts about a car with a 4 cylinder was the engine screaming at 2800 rpm going down the road. The Legacy 2.5i with CVT is usually turning 1600-1800 rpm on the freeway.

Also, the sound of the boxer engine alone makes the car feel more fun than a Camry. I am happy with the suspension of my 2011 after ditching the 16" rims and adding a stiffer rear sway bar. None of this is relevant with the 2013 models.

Just test drive one and make the decision.

hmmrdwn 11-20-2012 05:56 AM

The 2.5 has much better low end response than other n/a four cylinders and is naturally smooth, without any balance shafts. The engine sounds great at low rpms. At high rpms, it gets a bit annoying, but isn't much worse than a honda or toyota. The newer models handle slightly better. The awd causes the Legacy to turn when you turn the wheel as opposed to front wheel drive understeer. Yeah it doesn't handle as well as rear wheel drive, but has it's trade offs too.

Subaru's aren't quite as refined in some ways, but mechanically are far more substantial than Nissans, Hondas and Toyotas. I've said this before, but there are only so many pennies in a dollar and putting in a center diff/transfer case, drive shaft, rear diff and axles isn't free. You can buy a lot of quickly outdated electronics and fancy space aged plastics in exchange for the cost of the awd system in a subaru.

PoManzAWD 11-20-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Acceleration with the 2010+ Legacy with CVT will be an odd sensation for you if you've never experienced it before. It's funny that your friend described it as driving a boat, because it is a similar sensation the way the engine jumps up to a higher RPM and stays there until you reach your speed and/or back off the throttle.

As you may know, the 2013's use the newer FB series 2.5 as opposed to the old EJ253 used up 'till 2012. The FB25 is rated as being slightly more powerful and the CVT and suspension supposedly have minor changes over the 2010-2012. I've not driven a 2013, but I highly doubt they are night/day different than the 2010-2012. The FB25 should cost less to maintain as it ages because it does not use a timing belt like the EJ253 does. However, if you ever have water pump or head gasket issues with the FB25, the costs for repair would be way higher than the EJ253 because of it's complexity.

Like said, you really can't compare a Corolla to a Legacy. These are two cars from entirely different classes. Even a base model Impreza would be more of a 'driver's car' than a Corolla.

Nothing against a Corolla. They are about as reliable and economical as they get, plus you could drive it for 5yrs, not put a dime into it, and still sell it for a ton of money. Subaru is the same resale-wise, but can be more expensive to maintain with the AWD and such.

Joel

laz 11-20-2012 08:09 AM

I live in FL and do not need AWD, but I am glad I have it. It does get slippery when it rains hard here. Also we had lots of flooding here recently and the added height of the 5th gen came in handy.

X

dgoodhue 11-20-2012 08:30 AM

I owned a 2002 Chevy Prizm for 4 years (the same as corolla) with a 4 speed auto and similar power to your 06. I have 2.5i MT so I can't comment on the 2.5i CVT.

The corolla 1.8 Liter is anemic with mid range torque and especially evident with a/c on or on the highway passing other cars. The Legacy 2.5 is a big improvement. I was disappointed in the gas mileage of my Prizm, I am only getting 1-2mpg worse with my Legacy. My Prizm wasn't as reliable as I expected either, it wasn't unreliable but it was not like some of my family's Toyota Trucks or older corolla that went 200-300k miles with little maintence.