Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   3 port vaccum line under intercooler questions (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196645)

LegacySleeper 11-19-2012 05:50 PM

3 port vaccum line under intercooler questions

So im at an understanding that this can be a nightmare for most legacy owners who start to mod test and tune, i have recently been having a-lot of issues with it kind of out of no where... my mechanics had ziptied and wire tied all three of them down to stop the hoses from popping off... 2/3 havent popped off ever, but the one that comes to a bend, (the one closest to the turbo) is and has been popping off for a while now...

my friend whose a mechanic came up with the idea to get a beveled 3 port piece and THEN ziptie/wiretie it down, and it seems to be a good idea, i assume that most of you that have had this issue had done the same thing, on my next off day (probably in about 2 weeks) we will be taking the intercooler off (which will be fun (IPR)) and replacing the piece, but right now i need to figure out what one i should get...

this thread is really just to hope to catch someones eye who has replaced it as well and have any suggestions to which one or what kind i should purchase and from where...

now im decently noobish and havent done a-lot of work on my car myself so any help would be great, thanks in advance

quick4dr 11-20-2012 08:34 AM

a dap of crazyglue on the fitting before sliding on the hose also helps.

LegacySleeper 11-20-2012 04:29 PM

thank you very much for your reply, didnt think of that! will definitely do that as well...

i guess i already got the idea the best i can, i assume thats why no one is replying or i just look like a noob too much for anyones time. lol

lieutenantcolumbo 11-20-2012 05:48 PM

Some folks swear by using hairspray as well. Haven't tried it so I couldn't say.

LegacySleeper 11-20-2012 10:31 PM

hairspray? really? are you trolling me?? hmm i guess i can see it getting sticky but, why would super not be a better candidate for the job

NSFW 11-25-2012 04:01 AM

Not trolling...

https://www.google.com/search?q="hair+spray"+site%3Alegacygt.com

I'd actually never heard of super glue until this thread. :) I've been content with zip-ties but all of my fittings are barbed. I got rid of that barb-less blue T-fitting and was happy to throw it away.

LegacySleeper 11-30-2012 10:57 PM

Thanks so much for your reply! I just ordered a barbed fitting, so excited to get rid of that piece of crap! ill probably wire and zip tie it, just because its been a nightmare to me...

TheBlackPearl 12-01-2012 07:01 PM

I'd bet hairspray would work great, lots of ppl use it to stick handlebar grips on.

LegacySleeper 12-02-2012 05:20 PM

Idk how i feel about super glue, what if i ever needed to get it off again for whatever reason, probably would end up needing a new fitting possibly, im gonna use hairspray as some reinforcement, my barbed fitting with a zip and wire tie seems like it would be sufficient enough on its own, we'll see...

HDTurbo 12-02-2012 06:20 PM

Best luck, and let us know if your set-up holds. While I didn't try hairspray or change to barbed fittings, I had no luck with zip ties (couldn't get those as tight as needed to hold) and so many repeated pop-offs that I went straight to superglue and spring clamps on 2/3 connections. Problem has not recurred on both Stage 2 and Stage 3 cars.

.:Catalyst:. 12-03-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegacySleeper (Post 4181352)
Thanks so much for your reply! I just ordered a barbed fitting, so excited to get rid of that piece of crap! ill probably wire and zip tie it, just because its been a nightmare to me...

Mind sharing where/what part you ordered? Mine's been holding well at Stage 2 with nylon locking zip ties (cinched up super tight to where I can't tug the line off), but barbed is how that T-fitting should have come to start with.

GTTuner 12-03-2012 12:35 PM

You guys must be using the wrong zip ties.......never had one pop off after the zip ties were installed.

.:Catalyst:. 12-04-2012 05:48 PM

Mine are still all in tact as well. I used the nylon ones with teeth on both sides of the strap for extra grip :) I did a bunch, (especially with the 3port EBCS install), and no leaks or issues since. I'm under 18psi though.

HDTurbo 12-04-2012 06:44 PM

up to 21.5psi on my spec b, couldn't get the nylon zip ties tight enough, esp on the connection that goes back under the manifold. Was tired of experimenting and went krazy.

Aracheon 12-04-2012 10:34 PM

You may also consider replacing those old, brittle rubber hoses with silicone ones.