Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Will cranking the engine circulate oil? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196573)

mumblinaviator 11-18-2012 01:19 PM

Will cranking the engine circulate oil?

My turbo is being rebuilt after oil starvation caused the bearings to burn up, so while it's out I'd like to flush out the oil system.

I pulled the fuse to the fuel pump and the engine cranks but won't turnover (as intended), but it doesn't look like I'm getting any oil flow through the turbo oil supply line (IP&T inline filtered kit).

Should cranking the engine deliver oil through passenger AVCS and subsequently through the turbo line?

Thanks in advance.

BAC5.2 11-18-2012 03:17 PM

The crank turns the oil pump, so if the engine is turning so is the oil pump.

Why the hell would you want to "flush out the oil system"? I assure you that there is absolutely nothing to be gained from doing that.

Cone_Killer 11-18-2012 03:36 PM

Keep cranking it. You will eventually get flow through the feed line.

mumblinaviator 11-18-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAC5.2 (Post 4164001)
The crank turns the oil pump, so if the engine is turning so is the oil pump.

Why the hell would you want to "flush out the oil system"? I assure you that there is absolutely nothing to be gained from doing that.

Thanks!

I'm listening...

What would you suggest for someone who's concerned about shavings potentially introduced to the system after the turbo went?

BAC5.2 11-18-2012 05:16 PM

You understand that cranking the engine will just cycle the debris through the crank case and eventually out the AVCS lines, right?

Pull the oil pan, pull the valve covers, and pull the oil pump. Clean the pump and pack it with vaseline before reinstalling, clean everything with lots and lots of brake clean, and put it all back together.

Reinstall the turbo, prime the oiling system, start the car and let it run until the fans come on. Shut it down, and change the oil/filter.

mumblinaviator 11-18-2012 05:28 PM

My thought was crank the engine (without the turbo installed) to suspend the debris in the oil, then change the oil out. Repeat x2.

Noted, though. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Max Capacity 11-18-2012 05:37 PM

You say the bearing burned up, do you mean the turbo blew and sent metal into the oil system ?

If it just burned and didn't put metal into the oil system....

mumblinaviator 11-18-2012 05:48 PM

It didn't blow, completely. It still spun up, though with a fair amount of noise... intake blades were chipped and there was an excessive amount of shaft play. I'd rather play it safe not knowing whether or not or how much of anything was introduced.

Whatisit 11-19-2012 01:13 AM

You will want to replace the oil cooler with a new one. And also have you checked your banjo bolts for blockages? You wouldnt want to kill a brand new turbo and repeat the process all over again.

mumblinaviator 11-19-2012 04:39 PM

Banjos are clear, ill look into all of the rest! Thanks.

Max Capacity 11-20-2012 08:12 AM

I replaced my vf40 at 142,000 miles when the whine changed to a whistle.

I posted a thread here, 142,000miles on OEM turbo. with a video showing the shaft play.

I had just the slightest hint of the blades hitting the housing. I just installed the vf52 and started the engine

I did clean the oil cooler when I replaced the shrt block this past May.

How much damage did the blades do to the compressor housing ?

OH BTW I have both banjo filters removed.

mumblinaviator 11-20-2012 08:28 AM

The blades' corners were chipped away, but the housing looked to be in fair shape. I'll be chatting with Bryan @ BNR today about what he saw during the rebuild.

Passenger side banjo filter has been removed. Turbo feed bypassed using the IP&T oil line/filter. Haven't looked into removing the 2nd filter, yet.

Did you replace the short block out of necessity (failure) or out of want?

Thanks.

Max Capacity 11-20-2012 03:28 PM

Want, It was using oil and I was tied of adding oil every 2/3 day's.

I did it before something bad happened. That way I could do it when I wanted not when it broke in winter.