Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   DRL - Bumper (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196562)

Scooby Fan 11-18-2012 09:25 AM

DRL - Bumper

I am new to 5th Gen Leggies....been driving a 2006 LGT since it was new but now have a 2012 Legacy Ltd. I keep seeing references on here about taking the front bumper off to do certain service item (primarily headlight bulbs)...I assume that means the bumper skin and not the actual bumper?? Is there a walk through on this anywhere or is it just start undoing poppets until it lands in your lap :lol: A step be step would be nice.
I asked in another thread about doing the DRL delete but no one answered at all....is it the same as the 4th Gen cars where you just unplug the multi pin connector under the left side of the dash??

Is this it for the 5th gen also
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...S/LGT-DRL2.jpg

Jace2010LGT 11-18-2012 10:41 AM

To delete the drls turn the wheels to the right, pull the front part of the fender liner down. You will see a metal box plugged in. Simply unplug it and drl is gone. To remove the bumper. Search for his install. Someone did a bumper removal walk through.

Jace2010LGT 11-18-2012 10:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics of drl box and connector. Sorry for the chemical burn mechanic hand in pic.

Gen5is 11-18-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jace2010LGT (Post 4163742)
Pics of drl box and connector. Sorry for the chemical burn mechanic hand in pic.

Those are some gnarly wounds.

Scooby Fan 11-18-2012 04:15 PM

Thanks guys...get that hand looked at....OUCH!!! I hope that is not the consequence of deleting the DRL module ;)

Scooby Fan 11-18-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jace2010LGT (Post 4163736)
To delete the drls turn the wheels to the right, pull the front part of the fender liner down. You will see a metal box plugged in. Simply unplug it and drl is gone. To remove the bumper. Search for his install. Someone did a bumper removal walk through.

Left or right fender liner?

Jace2010LGT 11-18-2012 04:50 PM

Dr side.
You ever wandered what happens when you spray chemicals all day then wash your hands 30 times a day with mechanics soap? Just look at my left hand. I hold parts with my left hand and spray them with my right. Been to the doctor, told me to put hydrocortisone on it and in 2-4 months it should heal. I could wear gloves but they are expensive and make detail oriented jobs difficult.

Scooby Fan 11-18-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jace2010LGT (Post 4164092)
Dr side.
You ever wandered what happens when you spray chemicals all day then wash your hands 30 times a day with mechanics soap? Just look at my left hand. I hold parts with my left hand and spray them with my right. Been to the doctor, told me to put hydrocortisone on it and in 2-4 months it should heal. I could wear gloves but they are expensive and make detail oriented jobs difficult.

Thanks Jace...take care of that hand...that looks bad:eek:

nstg8r 11-18-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jace2010LGT (Post 4163742)

I was wondering what that was. If you unplug it, do your highbeams still work?

Jace2010LGT 11-18-2012 06:34 PM

Yep. It is only drl that are affected.

nstg8r 11-18-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jace2010LGT (Post 4164239)
Yep. It is only drl that are affected.

So, it's that little box to the right of the windshield washer reservoir in this photo?

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user...ml?sort=3&o=34

canadianelbow 11-18-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstg8r (Post 4164282)
So, it's that little box to the right of the windshield washer reservoir in this photo?

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user...ml?sort=3&o=34

Yes that's where it is. I saw that box last night when I had my bumper off. I remember thinking "what the hell is that thing?"

I gotta ask though, why the common hatred for DRL?

Scooby Fan 11-19-2012 10:21 AM

Not sure yet about 5th Gen Leggies but all the earlier ones have headlight bulb problems and deleting the DRL pretty much cures the problem. Besides I grew up in the age where you control the things that are needed in cars...If I want the headlights on I will turn them on ... Likewise when I do NOT want them on I will turn them off.

I know that this will sound picky but in BC (I have not studied all the various Prov/State laws) it is illegal to have your high beam lights on within 150 M of another car...your DRL's are actually your high beams on at lower power...technically illegal.

BC Motor Vehicle Regulations...Sec. 4.06 (5)
(5) A person who drives or operates a motor vehicle must not illuminate the upper beam of a headlamp if another motor vehicle is within a distance of 150 m from that vehicle, unless the driver has overtaken and passed the other vehicle, so that the high intensity portion of the beam does not strike or reflect into the eye of the other driver.

Scooby Fan 11-19-2012 10:32 AM

Don't get me started on fog lights ;)....Subaru's that come with fog lights are wired so the fog lights work in conjunction with the low beam lights and only with them. You cannot have your parking lights and fog lights on alone.......read BC Motor Vehicle Regs Sec 4.11 and see if Subaru complies in that area......I mentioned this to a number of Subaru techs and they just shrug it off.
I re-wire all my cars so that the DRL's are deleted and the fogs will work with parking lamps alone or parking lamps and headlights.....before someone cries that DRL's are required by law in Canada....the are NOT....the wording in the Act says "A vehicle MAY be equipped with day time running lights" There is no regulation covering when or if they may be used.

Fog lamps

4.11 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.
(2) Each fog lamp must be
(a) mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and
(b) adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10 cm below the height of the fog lamp.
(3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.
(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous

Ellesedil 11-19-2012 10:35 AM

I've been pulled over at 1pm in July on a cloudless day for having a headlight out, thanks to DRL's.