Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Intake and Exhaust (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   SPT intake - why the hate ? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196488)

wera832 11-16-2012 02:37 PM

SPT intake - why the hate ?

Ive seen that alot of folks dont like them , but Im left wondering why ? Do they not make any power ? Or just hard to tune for ?

SCASEYS 11-16-2012 02:38 PM

the 2nd part
SRI are for sound ricer!

ripemeat 11-16-2012 02:47 PM

the maf is placed in the S curve of the tube, generally mafs are supposed to be mounted in straight tubes so air is less turbulent flowing by the sensor. with the SPT, there can be dips and spikes in the afr at random due to turbulence created by the tube bends before and after the sensor.

the inconsistency of air flow past the sensor can cause it to register higher or lower g/s measurements in split seconds, momentarily causing the ecu to account the appropriate amount of fuel for that reading(which is usually a rich dip or lean spike and you'll feel it while driving... hesitation). from what i noticed, it's almost equivalent to having a dirty maf sensor. the more you f'in know.

whitetiger 11-16-2012 02:49 PM

^this.

Cliff note: dont get the spt intake.

Justin case 11-18-2012 01:25 PM

There was one on my car when I bought it,I promptly upgraded to stock :icon_wink

wera832 11-21-2012 07:46 AM

There was one on the kids car , looks like the stock air box was destroyed in an accident as its all broken up and just un-useable. Guess I know what to get him for Xmas - thanks for the info

mustangendsley 11-21-2012 09:17 AM

This is a hard debate. I know so many rally suby cars that run the SPT intake and love them. Most people hate them on this site

CT08Spec.B 11-21-2012 10:29 AM

i have a cobb SF intake and other than it sounding annoying its tuned for the car. Provious owner put it on so i kept it. IF you are going to get an intake the two to get are the Cobb SF or the KS-Tech and have the car tuned for them please.

m sprank 11-22-2012 04:41 PM

It is the LGT specific model that is the worst.

MAF too close to a bend. Inconsistent air flow readings from the MAF. Air too turbulent. Piping is cast and heats up quick, then holds the heat. Bad. Requires tuning (like many intakes) but once again, can not tune cleanly as MAF readings fluctuate.

lowwill 11-28-2012 06:52 PM

Never had issues with mine besides the annoying noise. This site seems to really hate them. My Subie tech laughs and say that some people spend to much time online.

m sprank 11-28-2012 08:55 PM

Never had issues because you have never logged it or pulled a LV with it installed. If your "Subie tech" would like to have an in depth conversation that includes data and repeatable experiments proving the inadequacies and possible damage caused by a SPT intake, give him my number.

Some food for thought:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-...es-s/70677.htm

Cobb used to have a tech article posted on their site that specifically explained the deficiencies of the SPT intake (for the LGT) as well. It was pulled about 2 years ago (or so). It was written by Trey.

famaya26 11-28-2012 09:01 PM

Mike,

How much better is the Cobb CF Intake. I would really like one just to clean up my engine bay a little. Would it just be best to stick with my stock intake?

- Fidel

CT08Spec.B 11-29-2012 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by famaya26 (Post 4177744)
Mike,

How much better is the Cobb CF Intake. I would really like one just to clean up my engine bay a little. Would it just be best to stick with my stock intake?

- Fidel

I have been told intakes only help minimally at higher hp #'s. if you are stage 2 of lower best bet would be to keep the stock intake. I have a Cobb sf because it came on my car from the previous owner (who was a very well known tuner).

m sprank 11-29-2012 10:15 AM

At below 300whp the stock intake works very well. The Cobb intake has the same internal diameter as the OEM (so it technically needs no scaling). This is why Cobb allows it with their OTS maps. While it might not add any power (to a stage2 car), it adds some bling and noise and is a fine, stable intake.

Nrw 11-29-2012 10:28 AM

The Cobb intake definitely needs to be scaled