Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   New England (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   North Shore or nearby MA for a hand with SS install? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196411)

aac0036 11-15-2012 10:58 AM

North Shore or nearby MA for a hand with SS install?

Does anybody from MA (preferably the North Shore or not too far from it) have a pair of snap ring pliers? Apparently the tool is recommended for use to install the Kartboy SS when you have to remove the ring, and I don't have a pair. I don't really want to invest in them because it wouldn't be worthwhile at this point for me. Install seems straightforward enough, and I also have to put in the new shortened shift boot from Redline while I'm at it. It would just be nice if anybody had experience/time and had those pliers to offer a hand. I've read the instructions.

Appreciate it!
Andrew

robitrice 11-15-2012 01:28 PM

i used curled needle nose ones and it prob took a little longer but it worked. if you have a pair of small needle nose you can do it. The snap ring is not that small just in an awkward spot.

9mm 11-15-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aac0036 (Post 4160091)
Does anybody from MA (preferably the North Shore or not too far from it) have a pair of snap ring pliers? Apparently the tool is recommended for use to install the Kartboy SS when you have to remove the ring, and I don't have a pair. I don't really want to invest in them because it wouldn't be worthwhile at this point for me. Install seems straightforward enough, and I also have to put in the new shortened shift boot from Redline while I'm at it. It would just be nice if anybody had experience/time and had those pliers to offer a hand. I've read the instructions.

Appreciate it!
Andrew

i have the pliers you need and i'm in Lynn. i can offer you an hour, maybe two tops but have a lot going this weekend with the fiasco errrr thanksgiving. shoot me a PM about the help.

otherwise, you can borrow the pliers, i'll know who you are if you don't bring them back. :lol:

i did my cobb short throw shifter and bushings using ramps. the rear bushing was a pain in the ass. very tedious work. but i'm a stubborn bastard.

aac0036 11-15-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9mm (Post 4160551)
have a lot going this weekend with the fiasco errrr thanksgiving

Oh don't worry about it, it isn't even here yet and I wouldn't want to do it over this weekend anyways. Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind for when it gets here.

9mm 11-16-2012 05:37 PM

ok man, let me know. trust me when i tell you the pliers are the least of your worries. :lol:

ETA: do you have jack stands or ramps?

aac0036 11-16-2012 08:05 PM

I have 2 jack stands but I'm not installing any bushings, just an SS kit. I think it would work out best if I borrowed the pliers since I have an odd schedule. The SS came today but will be working on it next week. Will keep in touch, thanks again.

sigmafour 11-18-2012 04:08 PM

What is your schedule and do you need a warm garage?

aac0036 11-18-2012 05:20 PM

Gee, that's awfully nice of you :)
I'm not free all day Mondays thru Wednesdays, nor Thursday mornings.

I don't quite need garage to put in a SS, but I'm trying to clean mine out so I can jack up the car and remove/refinish my wheels!

sigmafour 11-19-2012 08:26 PM

well I am obviously northshore too so if you do need warm garage or help, I have tools etc too and around at weekends. offer is there.

aac0036 11-19-2012 09:37 PM

Nice! Have either of you any experience with installing Redline shifter/parking brake boots?

aac0036 11-22-2012 07:05 PM

I'm available from now forward.

9mm 11-24-2012 05:54 PM

hey, i keep forgetting to check in here. -as i don't own a legacy no' mo' LOL.

try the e-mail function if you want to borrow my ramps since you have the pliers. i have other tools too.

not sure about the shift boot on the Leggy because i recall mine (it was a 2012 premium) having the electronic parking brake.

if the 07 is anything like the WRX, it's easy to remove.

-lastly, anyone can correct me if i'm wrong, but changing the shifter alone is not worth it. YMMV. the bushings make it THAT much better.

i did my bushings first because i wanted to make sure i could finish the job.

anywho, lemme know. PM, post, but e-mail works best. LOL

i'll double check that i can get e-mail notices of PM's.

9mm 11-24-2012 06:00 PM

i'll get an e-mail if i get a PM. holla if you need to.

good luck,

-chet

Motive Auto Works 11-29-2012 01:53 PM

If you have sigmafour help you then I can lend him the snapring plyers for you guys to use ;o)

He works right around the corner and I know he'll bring em back! :lol: