Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Car stalls with clutch in while in gear at idle (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196409)

maniaxzero 11-15-2012 10:03 AM

Car stalls with clutch in while in gear at idle

05 LGT 5 speed

The car stalls, but only in specific instance:

When I'm coming to a stop, I push in the clutch and keep the car in gear while coming to a stop - the rpm's dip
WAY down; sometimes the car stalls, sometimes it catches itself.

Started happening last week and got worst this week. Today I stalled on the highway while i pushed the clutch in. Had to restart the car while it was rolling..

I tried looking for a vacuum leaks by visual but dont see anything suspicious.. Any idea of what it could be? :confused:

Max Capacity 11-15-2012 10:14 AM

On CEL...

I'm thinking your a few day's away from one.

05's are known for idle issues cause by leaking o-rings when it's cold out. Since I replaced the o-rings between the intake manifold and TGV's I have not had a issue. When you see the new o-rings next to the old one's, you'll understand the problem.

$20.00 in parts, a few hours labor to lift the intake a bit and replace them.

Does the car run well other wise ?

maniaxzero 11-15-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4160018)
On CEL...

05's are known for idle issues cause by leaking o-rings when it's cold out. Since I replaced the o-rings between the intake manifold and TGV's I have not had a issue. When you see the new o-rings next to the old one's, you'll understand the problem.

No CEL, no codes.

The car runs well otherwise. I do have a air sucking noise when I'm accelerating. Kind of sounds like an aftermarket intake but I'm on a regular stock panel filter.

I've taken the intercooler off before which is quite simple but Is there a write-up on taking off the intake manifold and replacing the o-rings?

paintpollz 11-15-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4160018)
On CEL...

twas a near suicidal job for my fat hands.

iNVAR 11-15-2012 11:45 AM

Have you taken off the TMIC to check the blue T under it? Also, lemme know if you want to stop by my place and I'll plug my laptop in and see what I can find.

Max Capacity 11-15-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintpollz (Post 4160153)
twas a near suicidal job for my fat hands.

Not for my skinny hands. The biggest issue is finding what you need to take oof next to get the manifold up high enough without taking to much stuff off.

A buddy and I did mine in a couple hours.

maniaxzero 11-15-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iNVAR (Post 4160167)
Have you taken off the TMIC to check the blue T under it? Also, lemme know if you want to stop by my place and I'll plug my laptop in and see what I can find.

Thanks for the offer ken. I havent taken the TMIC off but from what I can see thru the little space, the blue T hoses have not been blown off. I actually just cleaned the MAF and IAT sensor with the CRC spray, reset ECU, and went for a quick 10 min test drive. So far so good. No idle dip/stalling issues. Will have to see later tonight when I goto the gym for a more extended test drive..

iNVAR 11-15-2012 12:31 PM

Okay, keep us posted, lemme know if you need a hand with anything. :)

maniaxzero 11-15-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4160226)
Not for my skinny hands. The biggest issue is finding what you need to take oof next to get the manifold up high enough without taking to much stuff off.

A buddy and I did mine in a couple hours.

Interesting. I was staring at the intake manifold before and it does look like there's tons of shit connected to it. Gave me a headache.

Hopefully the MAF cleaning solved the problem so i dont have to tackle this Intake Manifold O-ring job

Max Capacity 11-15-2012 12:40 PM

You will need to do the o-rings sooner or later living in a cold climate. That's just my opinion.

I be honest, it's worse then it looks. I could get the manifold up may be a inch on one side then do the other then bolt it back down.

Oh make sure you tighten the fuel line clamps while your in there if you can.

maniaxzero 11-15-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4160249)
You will need to do the o-rings sooner or later living in a cold climate. That's just my opinion.

I be honest, it's worse then it looks. I could get the manifold up may be a inch on one side then do the other then bolt it back down.

Oh make sure you tighten the fuel line clamps while your in there if you can.

sounds like fun. just wish I had a heated garage or just a garage in general. Working on my car in a windy driveway gets old real fast

Max Capacity 11-15-2012 01:21 PM

That's why I did the engine R&R in May of this year. No garage.

maniaxzero 11-15-2012 08:27 PM

BAD NEWS GUYS

The problem came back tonight. 5 mins. into the drive on highway in traffic. It started idle dipping again when I have the clutch in. :mad: What's even worst now is that I have this loud whirring sound(kind of like air leak/air circulation in the engine bay) and every time I push the clutch in the sound changes to a more muffled air leak. Couldn't pin point exactly what it was in the dark.

Max Capacity, did you have that whirring air noise when you had the intake manifold gasket problems?

LGT612 11-16-2012 03:33 AM

Do these vehicles have an Idle Air Control valve? If so, check that.

Max Capacity 11-16-2012 05:06 AM

Noise could be the TOB. Is it the orginal ?

I don't remember any air leak type noise. I do remember it stalling when it was cold out from time to time.

I recall driving 30 minutes on the back raods, stopping for gas then it would stall a few minutes later sitting in traffic. I was on the way to VT for the weekend to ski. It had stalled a few times before, but nothing constant.

I think shortly after I got the deraded P0011 and P0021 I think, the death codes for the turbo, while in CC at 65mph on the highwway. Had a trusted mechanic check it out. He said they remove the banjo filter before the turbo to help that code.

CEL never came back, the turbo began to whine under boost, lasted another 1000 miles. during that 1000 miles the read diff went. most of that was during Jan/Feb 2011. When the diff went I found the 09 Spec B for sale that evening on here, bought it a week later.

Parked the wagon till warm weather, it spent 5 months that year up on jack stands. During May I replaced the o-rings, while I pulled the and had tranny rebuilt, R&R the rear diff, finally got it back on the road late July, couple weeks later I R&R the turbo with a VF52.

The idle issue never returned. I lot of us have hed to replace the o-rings in the 05's.

While your in there, zip tie all the vacuum lines you see.