Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Timing belt @ 170k (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196402)

Chappy5107 11-15-2012 05:45 AM

Timing belt @ 170k
 
looking to go with the Gates system complete with water pump and tensioners... but the shop i use that strictly only does Subaru's has a couple failures with the tensioners, has any one else heard of this? I got about few more thousand to go before I get to that point, but just looking for some input. thanks

Max Capacity 11-15-2012 07:16 AM

Most of us use the gates kit. You will find problems with any thing if you look hard enough.

I used a Gates kit on my new short block.

The first time I used a Dayco belt and pulleys I got from Advance Auto Parts. It's all good.

Chappy5107 11-15-2012 09:19 AM

thanks for the reply max, i am a firm believer in Gates, and always have been. I appreciate your input.

AZP Installs 11-15-2012 09:20 AM

We use exclusively Gates kits here and haven't had any failure issues at all.

-Adam F

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/14...8/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg
11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

seabass07 11-15-2012 09:20 AM

Maybe they just want you to buy oem because it's twice the cost.

mwiener2 11-15-2012 09:22 AM

I hope you're talking about changing your belt for the second time. Gates Good.

Chappy5107 11-15-2012 09:41 AM

hahaha yes 2nd service first one was done @ subaru dealer, all they can tell me is that they changed the belt. cause I am 2nd owner, but I am going to do everything this time.

Max Capacity 11-15-2012 10:10 AM

I believe Gates makes the OEM belt. So I've heard on the internet.

Borf 11-15-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZP Installs (Post 4159895)
We use exclusively Gates kits here and haven't had any failure issues at all.

-Adam F

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/14...8/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg
11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Just to let you know I'm coming to you when I get my timing belt done, which will probably be pretty soon. I'm at 97,000 miles right now.

sactojesse 11-15-2012 12:46 PM

The timing belt replacement interval is 105,000 miles, so 170k is early for a 2nd time.

heleu 11-15-2012 02:48 PM

I just had the gates timing belt kit put in 5K ago - no problems.

paintpollz 11-15-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4160007)
I believe Gates makes the OEM belt. So I've heard on the internet.

everything is true on the internet:);)

Chappy5107 11-15-2012 04:50 PM

Rather be safe than sorry. Never know when that little piece of rubber might snap

AZP Installs 11-15-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sactojesse (Post 4160263)
The timing belt replacement interval is 105,000 miles, so 170k is early for a 2nd time.

Yeah but he doesn't know if it was just the belt or the whole thing. Generally the belt doesn't snap, it's the tensioner that goes on you.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/14...8/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg
11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

AZP Installs 11-15-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borf (Post 4160243)
Just to let you know I'm coming to you when I get my timing belt done, which will probably be pretty soon. I'm at 97,000 miles right now.

Thanks. We'll be here whenever you are ready!

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/14...8/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg
11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:47 PM.


LegacyGT.com