Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Remote Start 2010 Legacy Limited (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196385)

Ryanmj29 11-14-2012 05:07 PM

Remote Start 2010 Legacy Limited

Long time reader first time post.

I recently bought a 2010 Legacy 2.5i Limited with the winter package. Has 18,000 miles on it and was a lease turn in from an older couple.

Not that winter is coming fast the first thing I would like to install a remote start. I have searched the forums and have found tons of information but nothing that really answered my question.

From the information that i have gathered i am wanting to go with a Compustar RF-1BAM or RF-P1B-SH. Just the simple remote start since the key is embedded in the stock key fob.

When calling around to different installers most of them seemed to install no name brands. But one company is a Compustar Authorized Deal at first stated it would be around $240 and no key would be needed. So today after calling around to other installers i decided to go with them and wanted to setup an appointment. The guy on the phone talked to the installer and said that the found that the Legacys need two bypass systems and would be at the very least a $500 job!! and would need a key.

My question is does anyone have experience with those particular remote starters and what exactly they need?

Do i really need to give up a key?

How much work/how hard is it to install yourself?

and is $500 too much?

It would be nice to know exactly what is need for a Legacy remote start. Seem like most installers do not have much experience with Subies so are uncomfortable with them.

Thanks for the info guys/girls

5thgen2.5i 11-14-2012 05:48 PM

ive had them put on all my cars. $500 seems high to me i believe my legacy and my titan were $250 and they used a key. They also had to use the bypass like you stated they are about $25 from what i heard. Ill get the name off of it tomorrow for you. My forester has the subaru factory one and that works well but the aftermarket ones are nice with the other features.

Magic Marker 11-14-2012 08:59 PM

I have the OE remote start.

craftmatic 11-15-2012 07:34 AM

AstroStart is the brand to use for upper Midwest and Canada. Retains use of key and remote distances up to 5000 feet. I've used several including my curent 2011 Legacy.

Sleepr56 11-15-2012 10:01 AM

OEM starters installed will be about $450-500 from every I have known who had them installed. My car didn't come with the the remote start frmo the Factory, so I bent over and paid the same price when I bought the car. I want OEM to not have issues, but the OEM setup is not the best.

Essentially the car starts, but when you go to open a door or trunk, the car shuts off. So you always have to restart the car.

Magic Marker 11-15-2012 11:05 AM

^^SOA says needing to restart the car is a security issue.. I say lawyers got involved. Although the OE version is clean and covered under warranty. I like having it, but only use it when it snows.

Sleepr56 11-15-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Marker (Post 4160110)
^^SOA says needing to restart the car is a security issue.. I say lawyers got involved. Although the OE version is clean and covered under warranty. I like having it, but only use it when it snows.

Yeah I wanted a clean OE install without issues. Just sucks that the functionality is piss poor.

My first auto ever, so I had to have it. I have been abusing it on cold morning just to admire it's function, but I am sure that will pass after owning the car for a year. :lol:

Ryanmj29 11-15-2012 05:42 PM

Thought about the stock remote but think its silly about it turning off when opening the door. Also I was thinking that getting a aftermarket remote would be cheaper.

I really need to know what exactly a legacy needs! Seems like everyone says something different.

eckseleven 11-15-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanmj29 (Post 4160699)
I really need to know what exactly a legacy needs! Seems like everyone says something different.

Same here. Getting to be that time of year where it would be nice to have a remote starter.

Magic Marker 11-15-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepr56 (Post 4160331)
Yeah I wanted a clean OE install without issues. Just sucks that the functionality is piss poor.

My first auto ever, so I had to have it. I have been abusing it on cold morning just to admire it's function, but I am sure that will pass after owning the car for a year. :lol:

I had the OE remote start in my 08 Impreza and it didn't shut down when I opened the door. Just unlock, turn the key two clicks and hit the brake. Just like my old school aftermarkets ones.

Simikin 11-16-2012 03:13 AM

Ryanmj, hopefully this will help with some of your questions.

I installed my own remote starters on my 2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited, on a previous Honda accord, and I’m soon to put one in my Tacoma. They’re all Prostart brand units (2200’ range 2-way system), and the two I’ve done have worked great.
The Subaru was a fairly complex project, and I wouldn’t recommend anyone do this themselves unless they feel capable with electrical wiring, and interpreting wiring diagrams.

The car required 2 bypass units. This would be true if you went with a basic install or if you wanted to connect all the features (like I did). The remote start units send and receive analogue signals, and the bypass units convert these to the right sequence and digital format for the car’s computers to recognize. Without the proper sequencing, the computers will not pass the start command.
The first unit is for the ‘Transponder’. This tells the car that the key is in the ignition and sends an emulated key security code to disarm the immobilizer system. It also sends the Body Control Module of the car what could be called an ‘okay to start’ signal.
The second unit is programmed for ‘DL’ (door lock), which includes remote door lock/unlock and trunk release and close sensing. It also passes the tachometer and ignition signals needed to verify the car has sucessfully started (and park brake for standard transmission).

In terms of cost for the system, I paid the shop that I purchased the bypass units from to program them (Someone else might be able to argue them into doing this with the purchase of the unit, but they don’t like to sell just the hardware without an install package). For the ADS bypass (idatalink brand) that I used, you have to be a recognized installer and registered with their company to be allowed access to their system for programming. I figure this was much more secure than hiding the head of a key in a box somewhere behind the dash, which is what happens when they ‘need a key’. This programming was about $50.
The parts used for this were the starter unit on an end of winter sale $100, two transponder units $60 each, and some extra wire, solder, heat shrink tubing and wire-loom, so a total of about $300 + taxes.
This is what it cost for my ‘do it yourself’.

Most shops I’ve looked into will quote for a basic install, and increase quickly from there if you want remote doors/trunk/starter anti-grind/manual transmission, or any other extra features.

A few other things I can think of to mention:
-There are a number of brands of key Transponder 'emulator' bypass units. I would highly recommend using one of these over using a key both for security reasons, and because buying and programming a new key can be really expensive (if you happen to lose one).
-I just checked my Legacy and the factory key buttons will still operate the doors and trunk when the remote start is running.
-There is a wire already installed for the hood switch (safety lock-out for any mechanic working on your car when the hood is open), but you’ll have to install some sort of bracket to hold it in place.
-Starter anti-grind is a built in feature of the car, a shop will not have to add this (starter will not engage and grind when you crank the key if the engine is already running).

Sleepr56 11-16-2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Marker (Post 4161012)
I had the OE remote start in my 08 Impreza and it didn't shut down when I opened the door. Just unlock, turn the key two clicks and hit the brake. Just like my old school aftermarkets ones.

Yeah Subaru changed it. My buddies 2009 Forester is the same as your impreza, but any OE legacy remote start oh-10 and above are like how I described.

Aftermarkets are full of great features, but dining a reliable installer and not havinging any quirks post install are the main issues.

Almatti 11-25-2012 06:05 AM

Remote Start for a 2010 Premium to be added as a XMAS gift?

As I read this thread, I'm inclined NOT to this...I'm trying to confirm: If you remote start the car (I would have the Subaru Dealer do it with Subaru Remote Starter install), you then need to turn it off, and restart with the Key? Do I have that right? BTW, I've never had a RS in any of my cars.?? I do don't have Auto Climate control, so I would have to leave the manual settings engaged on high Temps too....

The Honda system (we have a 2010 CRV w/o Remote Starter), has a cool feature if you have Auto Climate control: On the RS Fob, you can digitally set the interior Temps and the Rear electric Defroster to go on. It's mucho $$$$ thoughand we didn't opt for that.

Mike Michaels 11-25-2012 08:37 AM

I purchased the OEM remote starter when I purchased my vehicle. The dealer took about two hours to install it. I use it every day in the winter. Going on two years with no issues. Distance is still very good, even through buildings.

Magic Marker 11-26-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almatti (Post 4172007)
As I read this thread, I'm inclined NOT to this...I'm trying to confirm: If you remote start the car (I would have the Subaru Dealer do it with Subaru Remote Starter install), you then need to turn it off, and restart with the Key? Do I have that right? BTW, I've never had a RS in any of my cars.?? I do don't have Auto Climate control, so I would have to leave the manual settings engaged on high Temps too....

Here's the order of events.
  • Remote start the car.
  • Walk out to car, unlock door(s) and open door(s).
  • Car will shut down.
  • Get in car and restart.

Yup... it's retarded, but it's a clean system and covered under warranty.

I have auto climate and the car just heats itself up where I left it last. The one thing it does is automatically is it turns on the rear defroster based on the temperature. I do have to keep the seat warmers in the on positions when I last left the car... since the switches are manual, they don't turn on automatically.