Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Holy Smoke!!!???? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196382)

smitty69 11-14-2012 02:52 PM

Holy Smoke!!!????
 
So, after an incredibly long ordeal, I just got my vehicle back yesterday after having the motor replaced (156K on vehicle, 76K on rebuilt motor), turbo replaced (BNR 16G), D2 coilovers added, timing belt, oil control valves (to turbo) and IP&T turbo oil feed lines added. So, the car is running really strong, EXCEPT.....

When I really get on the gas, I am leaving a giant smokescreen of white smoke behind me that last 3-4 seconds, then stops. Or, if I give the car medium gas, then I might get a small plume on takeoff, but get a moderate amount again when I get up to speed, then let off the accellerator that last less than a second and goes away. When the car is just running without accelleration, there is no noticeable smoke whatsoever. No strange noises, no CEL, no rattles or hums, nothing. Just smoke. White. Thoughts? :confused:

HAMMER DOWN 11-14-2012 03:13 PM

White smoke usually = coolant being burned. Check coolant & oil levels & see if there's coolant in your oil. Contact the shop that did the work on the car. Motors don't last long burning coolant & have a real short life span if coolant get in your oil pan.

Mike

Max Capacity 11-14-2012 04:51 PM

Are you sure it's not condensation, it's cold now, and exhaust will smoke until the pipes are warmed up.

smitty69 11-14-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4159154)
Are you sure it's not condensation, it's cold now, and exhaust will smoke until the pipes are warmed up.

I would say that this is a definite possibility, as it was not running until yesterday since June 6. And, it was sitting outside the repair shop for almost 6 weeks while I was waiting for the turbo to be checked out, repaired and sent back, then another four weeks to get the IP&T oil lines (2 weeks due to filter scarcity, then another 2 weeks due to Hurricane Sandy).

Of course, I would very much prefer this to be the cause. I will keep a close eye on it for the next few days and if it continues I will return to the repair shop. These guys came highly recommended, and are incredibly busy with a lot of really nice cars (always a good sign), so I have confidence that the work was done properly. That said, that does not mean that the rebuilt motor couldn't be the problem.

Telephonewire 11-15-2012 02:38 PM

Hi Smitty,

If you have had a replacement turbo then you may have had the incorrect size banjo bolt fitted in the oil feed to the turbo?

Take a look at this video....


Could it be this is the problem?

Telephonewire.

smitty69 11-15-2012 05:37 PM

I'm beginning to think that it is residual oil in the intercooler from my 3 turbos that blew in the span of 3 months. I spoke to my mechanic, and that was his thought. Our plan is to keep a close eye in it, and all the fluid levels, for the next week and if it continues then we will look further into the possible causes.

HAMMER DOWN 11-15-2012 05:51 PM

Like to tell us what was the cause of the 3 turbo failures.
Because if you don't no why, #4 will end up like the other 3.

I'm still rocking my original motor & turbo @ almost 207k.

Mike

BoozeRS05 11-15-2012 06:14 PM

:iam:

smitty69 11-15-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMER DOWN (Post 4160714)
Like to tell us what was the cause of the 3 turbo failures.
Because if you don't no why, #4 will end up like the other 3.

Mike

Most likely the fact that I did not know I needed to replace the oil feed lines when I replaced the turbos. Clogged banjo filters led to oil starvation and turbo failure. Using a mechanic that does not work on many turbo vehicles was another mistake. Anyway, the new turbo has the correct IP&T oil feed lines, new OCV's, larger intercooler. So, it should be good now. I hope. :rolleyes:

I'm glad your turbo has been holding up for so long, but if you review these forums you will realize that you are an exception, not the rule, for anybody with a vf40 turbo. Especially if you have staged your car at all. ;)

HAMMER DOWN 11-16-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty69 (Post 4160753)
Most likely the fact that I did not know I needed to replace the oil feed lines when I replaced the turbos. Clogged banjo filters led to oil starvation and turbo failure. Using a mechanic that does not work on many turbo vehicles was another mistake. Anyway, the new turbo has the correct IP&T oil feed lines, new OCV's, larger intercooler. So, it should be good now. I hope. :rolleyes:

I'm glad your turbo has been holding up for so long, but if you review these forums you will realize that you are an exception, not the rule, for anybody with a vf40 turbo. Especially if you have staged your car at all. ;)

Glad you got it figured out why. Did you " search", Failure on this site is around 25-28%. 3 turbos I beet is under.5%. The exception would be you. Not trying to get into a pissing match, but may car is driven hard daily.

My car, I tow with it, anything from full loaded 4'X8' trailer to 3500bls. cars on a tow dolly.

Stage 2 custom tune from Tuning Alliance, peek boost 18.5.

Over 100 runs down the drags strip. Best time 13.65@ almost 101mph.

OCI is 15k, banjo filter bolt as been in the oil lines up to 174k, then I removed both of them.

smitty69 11-16-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMER DOWN (Post 4161075)
Glad you got it figured out why. Did you " search", Failure on this site is around 25-28%. 3 turbos I beet is under.5%. The exception would be you. Not trying to get into a pissing match, but may car is driven hard daily.

Hey, no offense taken. I KNOW it is extremely unusual for that many failures. I was born on Friday the 13th, and my luck runs that way. It is either great (occasionally) or it runs bad. Either way, it is always at an extreme. I'm not superstitous, but you can ask anybody that knows me; that has been the story of my life. My father runs completely the opposite, he has the greatest luck you've ever seen. Nobody will play any game involving dice with him!! :mad:

Anyway, I'm hoping that this will help my luck to run more like yours. Incidentally, I haven't done nearly as many track pulls as you, but my best time was 12.98. So, maybe I have a more agressive map which also could have contributed to my repeated turbo failures, especially running the wrong oil inlet hoses!!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:31 PM.


LegacyGT.com