Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Need some help with car noise. (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196309)

MN3.6R 11-13-2012 10:27 AM

Need some help with car noise.

So 2 months ago I picked up my 2011 3.6R with 44k on it. I noticed shortly after driving it that at 55mph I get a humming sound from the front end. 53mph no noise....59 mph no noise. The sound is something similare to closing your mouth and humming, you can feel a slight hum through the pedal and steering wheel, but more the pedal. I put it in manual mode, it does not matter what gear. It seems worse when its warm out or been driven for awhile. I only drive 15 miles each way per day. I took it to the dealership I bought it at(non subaru) and their mechanic rode with and said wheel bearing, I agreed with that and he ordered the part. When he took the car he hooked up some machine to detect sound under the car and he said he no longer thought it was a wheel bearing, but that it sounded more like a propeller bearing??...anyways he told me to take it to Subaru and it was under warranty. Subaru drove it said no its not that, their mechanic said he felt it in the seat of his pants and that it was in the steering column. I strongly disagreed as I never felt it there. They got the car up in the air and said I had a faulty Lower control arm on the passenger side and they replaced it as well as a new steering column. They called me back and said they also found a loose wheel bearing in the REAR and they replaced that. I picked the car back up after a week, and it still makes the noise. I thought maybe tires, they are uniroyal tiger paws that are pretty much brand new. I rotated the tires and it still makes the noise. I want to take it back to them but I am just frustrated at this point. Its loud enough to notice even with the radio on, plus you can feel it. Any help would be great. Sorry for the novel.

Aaron48 11-13-2012 02:28 PM

Come on over we can trouble shoot it over some beers :D

MN3.6R 11-13-2012 03:12 PM

:lol: I don't know what driving around trying to figure out what a sound is and drinking beers will lead to, but it sounds like a fun time.

Jsmith 11-13-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN3.6R (Post 4157315)
:lol: I don't know what driving around trying to figure out what a sound is and drinking beers will lead to, but it sounds like a fun time.

Sounds like one hell of an idea!:lol:

MN3.6R 11-14-2012 08:28 AM

Plus I want to get this figured out soon so I can install my springs. I do not want them to try and link anything to that.

BMA44 11-14-2012 08:52 AM

it's probably your tires like you stated in the original post..

MN3.6R 11-14-2012 08:57 AM

Could they ALL be bad though? I rotated them and it still makes the same noise.

awalegacy 11-14-2012 12:17 PM

Well, the Legacy doesn't deal with noise very well so simply moving a tire won't necessarily take the noise away. You should have at least noticed it "move" though.

A driveshaft support bearing or even a wheel bearing that hasn't quite gone out all the way yet does seem possible especially since you say you can feel it. Can you give specifics on what exactly you are feeling?

BAC5.2 11-14-2012 12:42 PM

Is the car still under warranty?

MN3.6R 11-14-2012 12:55 PM

Car is still under powertrain warranty. The Subaru dealership did not do a drive along. I am feeling a pulse, almost a buzz through the pedal. Not like an electrical buzz. I might try and use my phone and record to see if it pics it up, I doubt it will. It happens 100% of the time and a mechanic and a friend noticed it.

MN3.6R 11-14-2012 12:57 PM

Other than 53mph-58mph there is no noise. I had the car going 90 this weekend on the freeway and its as quiet as a 5th gen legacy could be.

Jace2010LGT 11-14-2012 01:33 PM

I'm going to rule out bearings and tires under the fact that they get louder as speeds increase. Have you tried downshifting and seeing if the noise changes? Does it change when turning? It is hard to diagnose over the Internet. Answer the two questions above and maybe I can help. Good luck.

BAC5.2 11-14-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN3.6R (Post 4158839)
Car is still under powertrain warranty. The Subaru dealership did not do a drive along. I am feeling a pulse, almost a buzz through the pedal. Not like an electrical buzz. I might try and use my phone and record to see if it pics it up, I doubt it will. It happens 100% of the time and a mechanic and a friend noticed it.

If it is still under warranty, why are you not pursuing the dealer to fix it under the rightful warranty?

Stop trying to diagnose it yourself, stop disagreeing with their findings. Take it in, tell them to fix it, and drive the loaner until it is fixed. Call Subaru if you need to. If you pick it up, and it isn't fixed, don't take it home.

Be the squeaky wheel, and get it fixed.

MN3.6R 11-14-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAC5.2 (Post 4158922)
If it is still under warranty, why are you not pursuing the dealer to fix it under the rightful warranty?

Stop trying to diagnose it yourself, stop disagreeing with their findings. Take it in, tell them to fix it, and drive the loaner until it is fixed. Call Subaru if you need to. If you pick it up, and it isn't fixed, don't take it home.

Be the squeaky wheel, and get it fixed.

I think you are confused, I never diagreed with their findings, they fixed multiple things. All of the things listed were fixed, I disagreed prior to them doing it, they replace it, and it still makes the noise. The day I picked the car back up it was raining and the rain on the tires made it harder to hear the noise again. After a few days and it dried up I could hear it again plain as day. I am trying to diagnose it myself because clearly the dealership just went down the list of TSB's and picked what sounded to fit. they threw parts into my car and it still makes the noise. I don't have time to keep going back and forth to the dealership. I thought maybe someone else has had this problem or even throwing some heads together. Plus it's my new baby, all my other cars have been simple yet fun cars. I switched to a nice comfortable smooth riding car, then they take it from me and give me a damn rental.lol

MN3.6R 11-14-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jace2010LGT (Post 4158907)
I'm going to rule out bearings and tires under the fact that they get louder as speeds increase. Have you tried downshifting and seeing if the noise changes? Does it change when turning? It is hard to diagnose over the Internet. Answer the two questions above and maybe I can help. Good luck.

Turning side to side it does not change. I have no place I can think of where I can try and take a safe and decent turn at 53-58mph to see(since that is only when it happens.) As far as downshifting, again its only at the speed, I have not truly tried that. If it helps I have gotten to 53-58mph in both 3rd,4th and 5th gear and it happens with no changes.