Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   32000km maintenance costs? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196190)

dodobird 11-10-2012 11:46 PM

32000km maintenance costs?

2 Attachment(s)
I am trying to get an opinion from the forum. How much should the 32000km service on a 2011 2.5 premium legacy cost in Canada?

The manual says A + B + C service is required. I went to the dealer and my service came to $380!!! It sounds a bit steep for a 32000km service...

The dealer also kept on recommending to perform a four wheel alignment for $100 which i declined as it is not part of the service manual.

I've attached the price sheet of the various service price list.

Shouldn't an oil change be sufficient at 32000km and some minor inspection?

halwith 11-11-2012 10:15 PM

You got raped. No easy way to put it. read the service requirements, when you take the car in ask for those specifically. agree on a price before they start the work. did they replace the air filter and cabin air filter?

My wife made the mistake of letting them change her cabin air filter at the dealer. they charged her 89.99, she looked mad when i dropped the glovebox and pulled it out and put it back in in 1 mins.

acumenhokie 11-12-2012 05:59 AM

Oil Change - $50 (synthetic)
Tire Rotation and Balance - $30 (if you don't need balance, you can do it at home for free)
Cabin and Air Filter - $50 for parts and do it on your own.

The rest of it is garbage that you can do yourself if it's even needed.

PoManzAWD 11-12-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodobird (Post 4153669)
I am trying to get an opinion from the forum. How much should the 32000km service on a 2011 2.5 premium legacy cost in Canada?

The manual says A + B + C service is required.

Where did you get these "requirements"? My 2012 Legacy didn't come with any such literature. A Subaru Canada thing only perhaps??

I'm pretty sure I see a dealership name on the top of one of your forms.

If anything, go by what your genuine Subaru owner's manual recommends, not by what a dealership recommends- or I love when they say "required".:mad:

Joel

dodobird 11-12-2012 01:35 PM

PoManzAWD:

- The requirement of the A+B+C service came from my Subaru maintenance and warranty booklet that came with my Subaru. (different dealer)
- The form with the checkmarks are from the dealer.

halwith:
- yes they replace the air filter but not the cabin air filter

Question:
- do they really need to service and lubricate front and rear breaks?
- i would assume a wheel alignment is only required if necessary?
- So what constitutes as necessary just an oil change?

check out the link from Subaru canada on the maintenance. The C service is the same as my A+ B + C in my manual as the C service is inclusive of A and B
http://www.subaru.ca/content/7907/Me...ntGuide_EN.pdf

canadianelbow 11-12-2012 08:53 PM

Damn, that's sad. If you look at your bill, did they charge you for any parts, and if so, what parts, and at what cost? It's likely you got nailed for the $200 "C" service, plus parts, plus "shop materials" ( a personal pet peeve of mine), plus your Harmonized sales tax.

You basically paid $400 for an oil change. The rest of it is a visual inspection. I would be stunned if they actually looked at all the things on that list. As an example, the odds of both the front and rear brakes BOTH being at 65% is an indicator that they didn't look at them. Fronts wear quicker than rears. I wouldn't be happy with a % number either. Too easy to fudge. A micrometer measurement would be soooo much better, but in all reality, the tech is never going to do that.

I say you got taken.

dodgyozzy 11-15-2012 06:07 PM

I see on the form its from Richmond Suburu. I have heard nothing but terrible things about that dealership. I'm due for my 20K service and have been searching for a local shop to do the work instead of getting screwed over by the dealer. They charged me over $200 for my last service which ended up pretty much being an oil change.

I looked around on WSC Site and some of the impreza guys go to this guy. Apparently his english is not great but works with alot of subies. I think I'm going to try him out in the next week or so.

Kons Auto
1327 Venables
Vancouver
604-435-8722