Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Intro and fog lights (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196027)

Scooby Fan 11-07-2012 06:35 PM

Intro and fog lights

Hi Guys...been on LGT.com for years but pretty much always in the 4th Gen threads. Alas!!....I had to give up my '06 LGT sedan but just picked up a 2.5i Limited....nice car...specially for an old guy with a bad hip.:mad:
To the point....the Limited does not come with fog lights and I was used to having them on my '06 GT....the '06 fog lights worked very well and added a lot of illumination on dark back roads (I had them wired so they worked independently with parking...low beam and high beam.)
I have heard that the newer generation fogs are pretty much a cosmetic addition and don't add much extra light even with better bulbs:confused::confused:
Any in-put from those of you with them in a 5th Gen Legacy would be greatly appreciated....my other option is to add some aftermarket fogs mounted in the lower grill opening.

BTW ...the Canadian Legacys do NOT come with TPMS so it is easy to switch wheels and tires. The OZ's have 235/40/18 Kuhmos and for snows I am running the OEM wheels with 225/50/17....should be a pretty easy winter :):)

Thanks
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...S/100_6972.jpg

LoHud 3.6R 11-07-2012 06:47 PM

I frequent the backroads plenty around here and the OEM fogs are fine.

Captain Ned 11-07-2012 06:53 PM

OEM fogs work just fine with 55W stock bulbs. Bulbs are H11 and the only uprated ones I've seen are likely to torch wiring at 80W as they're complete off-brand stuff. Install is OK as long as you read the several tutorials here. Key takeaway: slide the housing through the mounting hole and attach the housing to the back side of the mount. If you remember that, the hardest part of the install is removing the switch assembly from the dashboard and then getting the blank piece out of the cover plate where the new fog switch goes.

Scooby Fan 11-07-2012 07:07 PM

Thanks guy....so actually worth installing it sounds like. I installed the ones in my LGT and a couple of Imprezas....don't anticipate any problems.

Gary245 11-07-2012 07:09 PM

my daily commute, in the dark, is right next to the Lake Michigan shoreline... winter and spring driving can be pretty nasty - and the OEM fog lights are great for me. maybe some aftermarket lamps are better, but mine work fine.

Captain Ned 11-07-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby Fan (Post 4149492)
Thanks guy....so actually worth installing it sounds like. I installed the ones in my LGT and a couple of Imprezas....don't anticipate any problems.

Easy install if you remember the twist. The problem is that neither the diagrams nor the words in the instructions that come with the kit tell you that the housings mount to the back side of the bracket. Spent 2 hours on the first before the Wile E. Coyote light bulb hit; the other side took less than 10 minutes.

Since I'm slow I like to pass on these bits to ensure that no one else has to endure my slowness.

EDIT: Here in VT the fogs run all the time as they're great deer-stalkers. Bastards hang off the sides of the roads and wait to launch into your grill. The fogs let me see them with enough time to slow down. I've killed 2 in car season and I'm not looking for more.

Scooby Fan 11-07-2012 10:40 PM

Good tip...thanks for the help.......I came within a few feet of hitting a moose couple of years ago...he was just standing beside the road (Way up in the mountains) and he jumped as I went by at about 120 kph....that would have been a real OUCH!!

dgoodhue 11-08-2012 09:10 AM

My '12 fog lights are noticeable on dark roads. I read Subaru reduced the size (watts) of the bulb in '13's Legacy's.

GTEASER 11-08-2012 09:48 AM

I drive on a dark rural canyon road almost every day and the OEM fogs seem to be very useful. I only wish they stayed on when I have the hi-beams on. However, I am considering adding some PIAA 510XT driving lights (I don't think these will fit in the 2013 lower grill opening, but will just fit in the 2010-2012). The only reason for this is to avoid the little critters that tend to pop out unexpectedly and I will only use these when I am driving alone and not behind a train of cars. A 50 pound wild boar can do an amazing amount of damage at 45mph.

Scooby Fan 11-08-2012 07:34 PM

Do the independent re-wire and the fogs work in high and low....easy and quick.

While I am getting used to the '12 Leggy.....is the DRL delete done the same way as the Gen 4 cars....just unplug the multi pin under the dash???

ehsnils 11-09-2012 04:29 AM

The point behind fog lights is more to be seen than to see, and they will only light up the road close to the car.

For serious driving you shall have vision well ahead of the car. Adding a pair of Hella 320's will definitely help your vision. See what I did: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...lt-172644.html