Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Second Generation Legacy (1994 - 1998) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   New breaks (stronger breaks) (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195979)

beebs 11-06-2012 11:07 PM

New breaks (stronger breaks)

I recently took my leggy to the shop and they did a 20 pt check up. They said my brakes are weak. Since i'm planning on doing an engine swag, preferably a Subaru EJ20G Impreza WRX Turbo GC8 (7/93) (92-93), sti/wrx, what kind of brakes do you think i should grab?
Also it says i have an oil leak under engine, what should i buy and do to fix that?
Lastly, my left front tie rod is worn out, no idea what that is haha.

Stang70Fastback 11-07-2012 12:48 AM

Before anything else, I absolutely have to point out that you are talking about your brakes, not your breaks.

Anywho, from what I understand, a lot of people do an H6 rear brake swap, which you can read about here. Getting some new rotors and pairing them with some sport pads from tire rack will also do wonders for braking performance.

Saying you have "an oil leak under the engine" is a bit like saying that you have "a leak in the house." You are going to need to be a bit more specific (they should have been more specific when they explained it to you.) Is it an oil pan leak? Valve covers? Oil separator plate? Camshafts? All of the above? We can tell you exactly what to buy and how to fix it, but you need to tell us what part is leaking first.

Finally, the tie rod is what is used to steer your car's front wheels. If it is worn out, it leads to play in the wheel where it can wobble back and forth (your steering will feel loose, and it can mess with your alignment and tire wear.) I would think it is relatively straightforward to replace, as it is rather easy to access, but I've never done it myself because I've only ever replaced them when the car was getting inspected and it failed, and I just had them do it since it doesn't cost that much.

Hope that helps!

seabass07 11-07-2012 12:49 AM

If your breaks are that bad, they might just be broken.

Stang70Fastback 11-07-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seabass07 (Post 4148074)
If your breaks are that bad, they might just be broken.

http://t.qkme.me/365vtk.jpg

laff79 11-07-2012 03:24 AM

Tough brake, kid

beebs 11-07-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback (Post 4148073)
Before anything else, I absolutely have to point out that you are talking about your brakes, not your breaks.

Anywho, from what I understand, a lot of people do an H6 rear brake swap, which you can read about here. Getting some new rotors and pairing them with some sport pads from tire rack will also do wonders for braking performance.

Saying you have "an oil leak under the engine" is a bit like saying that you have "a leak in the house." You are going to need to be a bit more specific (they should have been more specific when they explained it to you.) Is it an oil pan leak? Valve covers? Oil separator plate? Camshafts? All of the above? We can tell you exactly what to buy and how to fix it, but you need to tell us what part is leaking first.

Finally, the tie rod is what is used to steer your car's front wheels. If it is worn out, it leads to play in the wheel where it can wobble back and forth (your steering will feel loose, and it can mess with your alignment and tire wear.) I would think it is relatively straightforward to replace, as it is rather easy to access, but I've never done it myself because I've only ever replaced them when the car was getting inspected and it failed, and I just had them do it since it doesn't cost that much.

Hope that helps!

Sorry about the mispelling, didn't realize my stupidity.

Well, for the oil leak all they told me was there was an oil leak under my engine.

Maybe I can look under later today and try to see where the leak is.

And, for the tie rod, all of that stuff happens when i go over 60 so that should be changed. Thanks again!

beebs 11-07-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback (Post 4148073)

Hope that helps!

Oh, and you're sure the H6 brakes will be strong enough for wrx or sti engine?

seabass07 11-07-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback (Post 4148085)

Sarcasm

Stang70fastback

Stang70Fastback 11-07-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beebs (Post 4148140)
Oh, and you're sure the H6 brakes will be strong enough for wrx or sti engine?

Honestly, unless you are racing your car, you don't really need anything better. You can always swap for WRX brakes but depending on your wheels I think you might need to upgrade to 16" or 17" rims for the calipers to clear the wheel. Putting sport pads on the car will raise the threshold at which you can do hard braking before the brakes overheat anyway.

DOHCEJ22E1 11-07-2012 11:34 AM

I don't know what this talk of stronger brakes is all about but the stock 2 piston calipers in the front are plenty sufficient for stopping power.
Just bleed the system, get heavy duty pads, stainless steel lines, & fresh rotors.
As for the rear calipers, for normal to sport driving, they are also good enough.
Unless you're into driving THAT hard (which you shouldn't because these cars' stock suspension/chassis make them understeer hard like its their way of life), your stock units are good enough & if they're wearing down, replace them with the same but fresher units.

subikid90 11-07-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOHCEJ22E1 (Post 4148754)
I don't know what this talk of stronger brakes is all about but the stock 2 piston calipers in the front are plenty sufficient for stopping power.
Just bleed the system, get heavy duty pads, stainless steel lines, & fresh rotors.
As for the rear calipers, for normal to sport driving, they are also good enough.
Unless you're into driving THAT hard (which you shouldn't because these cars' stock suspension/chassis make them understeer hard like its their way of life), your stock units are good enough & if they're wearing down, replace them with the same but fresher units.

A MCB will also do a lot to help the brake feel

broknindarkagain 11-07-2012 12:15 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_MiO9nv1tx...1600/troll.jpg

beebs 11-08-2012 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subikid90 (Post 4148813)
A MCB will also do a lot to help the brake feel

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback (Post 4148419)
Honestly, unless you are racing your car, you don't really need anything better. You can always swap for WRX brakes but depending on your wheels I think you might need to upgrade to 16" or 17" rims for the calipers to clear the wheel. Putting sport pads on the car will raise the threshold at which you can do hard braking before the brakes overheat anyway.

So by the look of it, the cost would be a bit cheaper if i just keep my stock brakes, and bleed the system, get heavy duty pads, stainless steel lines, & fresh rotors would be cheaper.
But in terms of stronger and longer lasting the WRX swap should be better right? My cars rims at 16" so that should be great.
So when i'm searching for the brakes i look for "wrx brakes and sports pads"?

Kennyfvholla 11-08-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

...(which you shouldn't because these cars' stock suspension/chassis make them understeer hard like its their way of life...

You know, my sedan with the 4EAT had a much more prominent tendency to understeer than my 5MT wagon does. It's so much more balanced and easier to toss around and rotate through a turn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beebs (Post 4149858)
So by the look of it, the cost would be a bit cheaper if i just keep my stock brakes, and bleed the system, get heavy duty pads, stainless steel lines, & fresh rotors would be cheaper.
But in terms of stronger and longer lasting the WRX swap should be better right? My cars rims at 16" so that should be great.
So when i'm searching for the brakes i look for "wrx brakes and sports pads"?

Check these out:

http://www.igotasubaru.com/showthrea...nd-Gen-Legacys

I plan on buying a set once I need new pads.

DOHCEJ22E1 11-08-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kennyfvholla (Post 4150043)
You know, my sedan with the 4EAT had a much more prominent tendency to understeer than my 5MT wagon does. It's so much more balanced and easier to toss around and rotate through a turn.

That's because the 4EATs are heavier than the 5 speeds are.
My car oversteers hardcore if I just enter a corner recklessly but if I apply some technique to it, I can get through a corner fine enough.
The stock suspension is a bit stiffer than that of the Ls but still not enough to push too hard.
If brakes are to be done, then the suspension upgrades should follow :)