Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   How to add coolant? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195937)

seiyafan 11-06-2012 11:22 AM

How to add coolant?

This morning I saw the coolant level in the reservoir was at the bottom, so I tried to add more coolant but the experience didn't go quite smoothly. First I untwisted the radiator cap, I tried to add a small amount but it overflowed and spilled out. Then I called Subaru and the tech told me I could also add it to the reservoir, so I untwisted the yellow plastic cap and did that. Did I miss anything here? Why pouring it into the radiator won't work?

KartRacerBoy 11-06-2012 11:23 AM

Add it to reservoir.

GTEASER 11-06-2012 11:26 AM

The reservior is an overflow/recovery tank. If there is any in there, your radiator will be full. Coolant expands and contracts based on temperature. Note that the two are connected near the radiator cap at the top of the radiator. As long as the tank is full, if the radiator is low, it will get sucked from the tank to refill the radiator.....automatically......by magic.:lol:

seiyafan 11-06-2012 11:27 AM

I see, the guy at the parts depart. where I bought the coolant told me to add it to the radiator. So now I see where the misunderstanding comes from.

Thanks guys! Now I just have to clean up the spilled coolant. =)

GTEASER 11-06-2012 11:30 AM

Yes, make sure to clean it up before your, or your neighbors, dog or cat decides it tastes as sweet as candy and ends up with all fours pointing straight up. It is always recommended to clean up coolant immediately!!!!

mumblinaviator 11-06-2012 11:30 AM

The radiator is supposed to remain constantly full independent of tempurature... the Resevoir allows for that - It holds excess coolant when it's not needed, and the system sucks up the coolant when it Is needed.

seiyafan 11-06-2012 11:33 AM

So in theory there is enough coolant even if the reservoir is almost completely empty.

mumblinaviator 11-06-2012 11:58 AM

That theory depends on when you check it. If the engine is hot, and the coolant has expanded, and the resevoir is still almost empty, then No... because when the engine cools off it will want to recover some coolant but there won't be any left.

Gire 11-06-2012 02:44 PM

OK OK everyone calm down...

No more 'poisoning' talk that makes people jump to the Report button OK?

KartRacerBoy 11-06-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gire (Post 4147217)
OK OK everyone calm down...

No more 'poisoning' talk that makes people jump to the Report button OK?

Oh dear god. Can the idiots not take a joke? Have all the members of this forum turned into 3 yr olds. :spin:

Odlgt 11-06-2012 06:22 PM

Maybe i shouldnt speak for gire but im going to go out on a limb and saynthere was a bit of sarcasm mixed into his post. And by a little i mean.. A lot.

O

Edit: i hope im right

KartRacerBoy 11-06-2012 06:32 PM

I doubt it. Gire or some other mod deleted my offensive "poisoning" the animals post due to some whining child.

BMA44 11-07-2012 06:59 AM

someone really reported you?? HA!

SpidermanMTL 11-07-2012 07:45 AM

REPORTED... He was telling the truth

"MAKE SURE TO CLEAN UP COOLANT LEAKS" dogs love the stuff.. seriously.

KartRacerBoy 11-07-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpidermanMTL (Post 4148255)
REPORTED... He was telling the truth

"MAKE SURE TO CLEAN UP COOLANT LEAKS" dogs love the stuff.. seriously.

And jokingly said spill a little more if the neighbor's dog or cat was annoying him. Oops. I said it again!

:spin: