Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   New 12' 2.5GT owner (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195697)

Scooby_Steve 11-01-2012 04:14 PM

New 12' 2.5GT owner

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked up my new Legacy on Sunday. Couldn't be more pleased with it so far. First purchase for it is gonna be roof racks and some either all season tires or winter performance tires. I was wondering what anyones opinions were how Thule adapters are for the Legacys and what tires i should go with for snowy conditions. Thanks everyone.

acumenhokie 11-01-2012 04:20 PM

Hi and welcome. There are several threads where we discuss winter tires. Personally I run summer rims/tires and winter tires on my OEM rims in winter but there are a number of options if you search.

No experience with the roof racks so I'll let someone else chime in now.

Scooby_Steve 11-01-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acumenhokie (Post 4139970)
Personally I run summer rims/tires and winter tires on my OEM rims in winter but there are a number of options if you search.

Thank you very much for the help im pretty new to forums so i dnt know a ton about how they work. That's actually what i was thinking about doing. Save the snow grime from getting all over the expensive rims.

Stewy612 11-01-2012 04:52 PM

I am so so pleased with how this thread has gone so far! Welcome to the forums and to Subaru? if you are new to Subaru you're gonna LOVE it in the snow.

That being said, there is a plethora of knowledge available here on the forums. Lately i've been going to google and using google to search legacygt.com or whichever forum for me.

Beautiful car and i wish i had a reason to need roof racks! they look awesome! Enjoy!

-Brett

Scooby_Steve 11-01-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewy612 (Post 4140037)
I am so so pleased with how this thread has gone so far! Welcome to the forums and to Subaru? if you are new to Subaru you're gonna LOVE it in the snow.

That being said, there is a plethora of knowledge available here on the forums. Lately i've been going to google and using google to search legacygt.com or whichever forum for me.

Beautiful car and i wish i had a reason to need roof racks! they look awesome! Enjoy!

-Brett

Brett,
Thanks you very much. I had a tacoma before this but it got 15mpg and i just couldnt handle it anymore. For only having it a week, i am already loving it. cant wait for the resorts to open around here so i can get up and try it out in the snow. ill be on forums a lot from here on out because ive got lots of plans for the car.

Jsmith 11-01-2012 05:35 PM

With the right shoes, shes a tank in the snow! Enjoy the ride man.

BMA44 11-01-2012 05:35 PM

Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum.

minuccims 11-01-2012 05:45 PM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great car.

Definitely don't use the summer performance tires too much longer. Many of us use the OEM rims for dedicated winters. It's the quickest way to prep for winter and gives you time to search the forums and seek out cars to look at to pick better rims. If you're keeping the OEMs for summer, then Tire rack has 17" steelies.

Based on my winters in southern NE, I selected a winter performance tire that is fantastic in all but deep snow.

redstriker 11-01-2012 05:53 PM

Welcome!!!

hmmrdwn 11-01-2012 05:53 PM

Nokians. Go to their web site and pick out the ones that fit your needs.

Scooby_Steve 11-01-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsmith (Post 4140111)
With the right shoes, shes a tank in the snow! Enjoy the ride man.

Thanks, appreciate it. What kind of tires you runnin on yours?

Scooby_Steve 11-01-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minuccims (Post 4140129)
Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great car.

Definitely don't use the summer performance tires too much longer. Many of us use the OEM rims for dedicated winters. It's the quickest way to prep for winter and gives you time to search the forums and seek out cars to look at to pick better rims. If you're keeping the OEMs for summer, then Tire rack has 17" steelies.

Based on my winters in southern NE, I selected a winter performance tire that is fantastic in all but deep snow.

thank you very much. i love the car. I am lookin into some pretty nice aftermarket rims for summer and oem's for winter like you were saying. Ill probably end up going with some good winter performance tires. Do they wear down really fast in dry conditions between storms?

Scooby_Steve 11-01-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redstriker (Post 4140140)
Welcome!!!

thank you

Scooby_Steve 11-01-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmmrdwn (Post 4140142)
Nokians. Go to their web site and pick out the ones that fit your needs.

I'll be sure to check those out. thank you very much.

GTEASER 11-01-2012 06:09 PM

Welcome and Congrats!!! It's nice to see another local guy on the forum. I am in the Brentwood area. There is a plethora of great info here. I bought my car this past July and thanks to all the other guys here, I am definately up to speed on all the necessary stuff, maintenance, equipment, modifications, etc. Stick around for any questions you have, and anything you want to know, you most definately will find your answers. This is a great online community with true enthusiasts and we hope you enjoy participating.