Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Subaru In The News (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195596)

Rhett 10-30-2012 03:39 PM

Subaru In The News

Safety:
http://www.thetowntalk.com/viewart/2...e-likes-Toyota

Sales:
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/30/494...reaks-all.html

GTEASER 10-30-2012 04:00 PM

Good for Subaru!!!! I am so sick of Toyota products. Every other car here in the San Francisco Bay Area is either a Camry, and Accord or a BMW 3 Series. And half of all the vehicles are SUV's or Trucks. Okay, might be exaggerating a bit, but I get all giddy when I see another 5th Gen Legacy. I think my wife thinks I am a little insane to get excited about a car, but hey, I'm a guy.

I'm glad I could contribute to the record. 2012 LGT bought in July.

Rhett 10-30-2012 04:15 PM

Same here. I love to beep and/or wave when I see another Subaru on the the road. Sad part is the other driver never seems to give a shit. lol.

Jace2010LGT 10-30-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTEASER (Post 4136933)
Good for Subaru!!!! I am so sick of Toyota products. Every other car here in the San Francisco Bay Area is either a Camry, and Accord or a BMW 3 Series. And half of all the vehicles are SUV's or Trucks. Okay, might be exaggerating a bit, but I get all giddy when I see another 5th Gen Legacy. I think my wife thinks I am a little insane to get excited about a car, but hey, I'm a guy.

I'm glad I could contribute to the record. 2012 LGT bought in July.

The lines between Toyota and Subaru are going to get blurry soon. Toyota is investing a lot of money in Subaru. The design of your legacy has some heavy Toyota influence. Just last month I received the free Subaru magazine in the mail. It shows the r&d department and 3 camrys are in the shot.

ralphtc 10-31-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhett (Post 4136966)
Same here. I love to beep and/or wave when I see another Subaru on the the road. Sad part is the other driver never seems to give a shit. lol.

Likewise I try to wave to my fellow Subaru owners on the road, and most of them are jerks.

Jsmith 10-31-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhett (Post 4136966)

I do the same thing and have the same results, nobody gives a shit.

GTEASER 10-31-2012 10:48 AM

The only response I ever get is from the occasional WRX or STI owner (even some of them don't know what they're looking at). All others, Outback, Forester and even other Legacy (non-GT) owners, have no idea or awareness.

BigBopper 11-03-2012 05:40 PM

Putting some miles on my new clutch and to my surprise ... I got a toot and a nod from a WRX STi driver today!

:eek: :p;)

hmmrdwn 11-03-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jace2010LGT (Post 4137015)
The lines between Toyota and Subaru are going to get blurry soon. Toyota is investing a lot of money in Subaru. The design of your legacy has some heavy Toyota influence. Just last month I received the free Subaru magazine in the mail. It shows the r&d department and 3 camrys are in the shot.

I saw that too. Couldn't Subaru move those when taking the picture?

Probably not going to tell you much new, but Subaru made 30,000 Camry's in their Indiana plant one year. As you know Toyota owns a small portion of Subaru. Probably doesn't hurt Subaru much to be associated with Toyota.

Jace2010LGT 11-03-2012 09:23 PM

They own 19% at this time. They could benefit from each other. I just hope it livens Toyota up but doesn't turn Subaru vanilla. Only time will tell. I love Toyota. They are great and provide me with a comfortable living but sadly the only fun to drive can we have is a frs which is a Subaru. I miss the rear drive coupes and sedans of the late 90's. Now everything is front drive and soft. The only vehicle that is entertaining is a trd supercharged tundra. Those are a blast in a straight line. One of my customers has one. We went to lunch one day he put it in 4wd high and reduced all 4 tires to molten rubber for about 35 feet. It is insane how much torque that thing makes. The landcruiser is badass but way too expensive. The Tacoma is awesome off road. But our cars are for the non driver.

TXLegacy 11-04-2012 01:06 AM

I stopped liking Toyota shortly after they dropped the Starlet from their lineup. The short lived car was a RWD subcompact hatchback with a 1.3 liter 4. It had a 5 speed with a top end of 87 mph. I owned one for 24 years. The last iteresting cars from Toyota were the 1980's Celicas and Supras that were RWD. I liked the 1981-84 Corollas as well. Today, if you see a car driving slowly in the left lane, it's likely a late-model Corolla. I can't stand them.

acumenhokie 11-04-2012 03:35 AM

I agree Toyota today doesn't make any interesting cars. I'd argue that I had the US version of the last car they made that was worth owning (granted they sold it under the Lexus banner in the US but it was a Toyota in Japan). RWD, 5 speed, Inline-6 (that could be turbo'd)...

http://www.autopictu.com/images/toyota-altezza-01.jpg

fildigger 11-04-2012 04:03 AM

Yes!... The Lexus IS200 and 300 as they were badged here in the UK... A very nice and popular car, a sensible and somewhat educated buy over the BMW 3 series...
..The IS is now the domain of many younger modifiers who appreciate the benefits of the reliable rear drive set up.

Tapatalk from Galaxy S2

hmmrdwn 11-04-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jace2010LGT (Post 4143255)
They own 19% at this time. They could benefit from each other. I just hope it livens Toyota up but doesn't turn Subaru vanilla. Only time will tell. I love Toyota. They are great and provide me with a comfortable living but sadly the only fun to drive can we have is a frs which is a Subaru. I miss the rear drive coupes and sedans of the late 90's. Now everything is front drive and soft. The only vehicle that is entertaining is a trd supercharged tundra. Those are a blast in a straight line. One of my customers has one. We went to lunch one day he put it in 4wd high and reduced all 4 tires to molten rubber for about 35 feet. It is insane how much torque that thing makes. The landcruiser is badass but way too expensive. The Tacoma is awesome off road. But our cars are for the non driver.

I hear you. I hope they stay separate too. Toyota makes a quality product though. It says quite a bit for Toyota to trust Subaru to assemble their Camry line. I wonder about Toyota stealing Subaru's awd, but have to admit that they can probably do that now if they wanted. Toyota has the Venza...direct competition to the Outback. Subaru could probably benefit from Toyota's choice of interior materials.

Ghionw 11-04-2012 09:07 AM

I grew up in Jamaica, so seeing performance Toyotas straight from Japan was the norm. Even well into the late 90s. I liked their Supercharged Levins/Truenos and Turbo Caldinas. Everyone wanted a turbo Starlet.